Discuss Makita BHP453 18v 3.0ah Li Cordless Drill....Anyone got experience with one? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wee_ron

Just ordered my first ever cordless drill (very newly qualified industrial sparky) and after much deliberation I decided to go for the Makita BHP453 18v 3.0ah Li. Has any fellow sparkys had this drill? If so, what is the performance like?? It seems like a good drill at a good price (£150). I know a few boys who had the old Makita with Ni batteries and they loved them.

WR

Had one for about a year now and their not a bad drill. It seemed to be the most popular drill I see on site. The only thing I would want is a light on it like the model above.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Cheers for the quick reply mate. Hopefully it will be a good buy. Only time will tell. Anyone know a site to get a good beating screwdriver with a big enough flat head? Ive been looking for a while now. Adding a few bits and pieces to the tool box is a very expensive experience...but it has to be done.

Gutter Bolts JohnBoy? What are they?

It would be for making sure lock rings/nuts are tight on SWA glands.

gutter bolts are sometimes known as roofing bolts, or roofers, and are used on traywork,truning ect.

For tightening up lockrings or locknuts, a spanner is by far the best tool. Hitting them with a screwdriver is a last resort, and i only do that when i physically cant get a spanner in.

IMO as been said the makita is a great drill had the full set for ages. Only weak spot is the trigger must be kept dust free, so don't use it for cutting downlight holes as the plaster dust jams it up, buy a cheapy one also for that job and will last ages.

Yeah johnboy I know them as roofing bolts. The screwdriver is of course for the hard to get at places :p What are the most common spanner sizes apart from the usual suspects.

Cheers for the tip needaspark. I think I would also liked it to have a metal chuck instead of the rubber for trunking and that.

Ill look into those JB. Cant see any big flatheads on screwfix. Certainly none bigger than the ones I already have. Any ideas Sparkys?

Cheers for the tip needaspark. I think I would also liked it to have a metal chuck instead of the rubber for trunking and that.

If you have any doubts, as long as you don't use it you should be able to send it back shouldn't you. its only about £100 more for the BHP451. That's the one I use and it's got a metal chuck, a removable side handle and it also lights up. It's almost indestructable too! I will never own another drill I don't think, it's a beast!

I got a Dust thinggy for drilling downlights it was about 15 quid n great for keeping drill ,eyes and more importantly clients office,house clean

If you have any doubts, as long as you don't use it you should be able to send it back shouldn't you. its only about £100 more for the BHP451. That's the one I use and it's got a metal chuck, a removable side handle and it also lights up. It's almost indestructable too! I will never own another drill I don't think, it's a beast!

Yeah if it isnt up to scratch ill be sending it back. But for my budget I think I got a good deal. The BHP451 is on for £400 on SF. No chance Im paying that lol.

I got a Dust thinggy for drilling downlights it was about 15 quid n great for keeping drill ,eyes and more importantly clients office,house clean

Ill prob get a b&q special if I need to drill alot of plasterboard. But at the moment Im on a site so its not going to be much of a problem.

The head size is fine for what you need it for , i use mine to remove stubborn gland nuts and it works fine, the pozi one is ideal for freeing off rusted seized screws, one good bang from the hammer and shes free.

Nick

I've got one of these, along with the bigger brother version (451). I'm happy with mine, switches/gears get stuck but they are intentionally designed like that - just a quirk with these drills. Might be underpowered though for masonry work. the 451 is much better for that, bit more grunt but I am looking for a new masonry specific drill to deal with hard brickwork and concrete.

For tightening locknuts have a search on ebay for locknut spanner, bit pricey at £60 a set, but well worth it. I absolutly love mine, couldn't be with out it now.

Reply to Makita BHP453 18v 3.0ah Li Cordless Drill....Anyone got experience with one? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net