Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss Meters and boards Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Luke105

Luke105 Active EF Member

I work for a company who installs electric heaters.

Usually we remove old storage heaters and replace them with our heaters using the same point with a new switched fcu.

The fuse board is usually just an old Wylex type with just an on off switch and non switched fuses.
    The board is powered from the live coming out of the radio teleswitch meter so to make the board live 24 hours we remove this cable and put it into a Henley block which has permanent live feed.

The questions are....
    Are we allowed to touch these meters as there are stickers all over them saying property of the electricity board.

Secondly, using the old points coming from the old style board with just an on off switch. Is this ok?

2. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    No. And if they are on economy 7 they are sure gonna get a shock when they get the bill.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Luke105

Luke105 Active EF Member

Can you give more detail.

Yes I know about the economy tariff. Just curious if any laws or regs are being broken

4. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

Some electricity supply companies don’t use separate meters for economy 7.
    They just charge a different rate for all electricity used during the off peak times.
    However, it sounds like these new heaters are not storage, and are designed to be used at any time.

5. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

Sounds like fed from henleys not E7...….does sound crap, though.
    Still reusing rewireables???

6. Vortigern

Vortigern Regular EF Member

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yeh you are messing with DNO equipment and you can be prosecuted in theory at least. Although I think we all know it is very rare if ever. And @ipf@ipf I guess they will be fed from Henley blocks, I did mean when they bypass the E7 and go on to what is an E7 tariff daytime rate they are gonna faint when they get the bill.

7. Luke105

Luke105 Active EF Member

Yes all the electricity in the house is cheaper over night because of the tariff.
    Forget the tariff and the prices of electric etc.
    I’m more curious as to should we interfere with these meters belonging to the electricity board and is the fuse board ok considering it is old with only an on off switch.

8. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

This is sounding more and more dicey...…….

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. GeorgeCooke

GeorgeCooke Regular EF Member

Looks like you work for a load of cowboys. Do your customers know that you are taking them off E7? Do they know that standard electricity is 3 times the cost of gas.
    Only cowboys touch electricity board, actually DNO, equipment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Luke105

Luke105 Active EF Member

Lads, forget the e7 tariff. Customers are made aware that they have no need for it. It isn’t the tariff I need to know about.
    It’s the old board and the dno equipment I’m curious about

11. Luke105

Luke105 Active EF Member

Yes we just use the old points which are connected to an old type board with rewirable fuses. Old board with just an on off switch.
    Shouldn’t we have to update the fuse board/fuses or is this ok?

12. Midwest

Midwest Electrician's Arms

If your altering it, you should know what BS7671 requires. Perhaps you should say what you have done exactly?

• Like Like x 1
  13. spinlondon

spinlondon Forum Mentor

They are basically converting two installations into one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. ipf

ipf Forum Mentor

Sounds like new supplies to circuits so it must be altered.
    Existing circuits re fed from a different, existing, CU.
    Minor works.....one for each circuit, I wonder.:(

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
  15. snowhead

snowhead Respected Member

This will be something similar to Fischer heaters?

I'm surprised an employee of a company that's in the business of exchanging Storage heaters for high efficiency heaters is on a forum asking basic information like this.

Is the company NICEIC or similar registered, do you have a Q.S or other electrical installation Professional?
    Who supervises the installations work?
    Who decided on the method of installation?

and many more questions.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1