Discuss N.Power and Smart Meters letter today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think a lot of people on this thread have seen too many X files episodes!
Anyway the smart meter works on a mobile phone SIM card......better get rid of your mobile phones.....the aliens might be listening:alien::alien::alien:

the aliens are already listening. how else would they know that i had PPI and a recent accident?

If you get a smart meter? Be prepared for a larger power bill !
Speak to anyone whom has one,
unless you use little or no power during peak period.

Contact your supplier to have it checked. Radio 4 consumer program (Money Box: BBC Radio 4 - Radio 4 in Four, How smart are smart meters? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04wqsvv) had a feature on these a while ago. Apparently some of them are wildly inaccurate in their measuring of consumption. In addition, they're still installing previous generation smart meters, 2nd gen aren't finished testing yet, and they're not expected to be ready to install before the latter part of next year. First gen meters turn into dumb meters if you change power provider, you will need either a new meter or a 2nd gen meter for it to continue to be 'smart' when you change from, say, NPower to Eon.

To those saying the power companies will be able to switch us off remotely, I've yet to see a smart meter that is of a size that could contain the equipment necessary to carry out on-load switching safely. I think the suggestion that they'll be able to do such a thing is extremely remote.

I think the suggestion that they'll be able to do such a thing is extremely remote.

extremely remote. just like men landing on the moon. as if.

This is related to the remote switching of appliances,it is however relevant to whether a smart meter is likely to have the facility and the capability of load switching

To meet this challenge, Landis+Gyr have developed the L550 Remote Load Switch, which together with the smart metering solution will enable the utility to disconnect the household load remotely from the smart meter in the street kiosk.

The Remote Load Switch solution is therefore a means for any smart meter that has an auxiliary contact (installed outside the house) to disconnect up to 40 Amp household load/s (situated inside the house)

This is related to the remote switching of appliances,it is however relevant to whether a smart meter is likely to have the facility and the capability of load switching

To meet this challenge, Landis+Gyr have developed the L550 Remote Load Switch, which together with the smart metering solution will enable the utility to disconnect the household load remotely from the smart meter in the street kiosk.

Yes, the technology exists, I don't reject that it does, but it's not in the smart meters that are currently being deployed and therefore is not something to cause concern for UK consumers at this time.

The Remote Load Switch solution is therefore a means for any smart meter that has an auxiliary contact (installed outside the house) to disconnect up to 40 Amp household load/s (situated inside the house)

Got to poke at a
Secure ,Liberty 110. Pre pay
(eco-7 capable?)
Nearly as many buttons as a cashpoint !
... Capable of disconnecting supply for
"over-current" situations as well .
--person was using OVO for energy--
( earlier instructions had *# ,I had A B)

I know of one Private company which is constructing 42 mini power stations around the U.K. intending to sell the electricity they produce to the National grid.
I am sure there are others.
No doubt they'll be using diesel generators running on cheap fuel that the oil companies have got to get rid of somehow, now that everybody is vilifying diesel vehicles.

I had the BG letter last week and was called yesterday, 6 times if I recall correctly o_O. No thanks very nicely, no thanks nicely, no thanks, no, I've said no, click.

If you get a smart meter ? They be pre-pared to see a bigger electricity bill. YES ! you can refuse to have one, they make it sound like it is compulsory, or in your best interests, but we all know it's clearly in there interests, so they can make much more money.

If you get a smart meter ? They be pre-pared to see a bigger electricity bill. YES ! you can refuse to have one, they make it sound like it is compulsory, or in your best interests, but we all know it's clearly in there interests, so they can make much more money.
Could you please explain to me why after having a Smart meter fitted your bill will increase?
The Smart meter is fitted on exactly the same tariff as the old classic meter so the unit price and standing charge are exactly the same.

Reply to N.Power and Smart Meters letter today in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net