Discuss Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If you want to do eicrs under their banner they want you to have PI. Simple. No extra cost.

to be honest I can't see why anyone wouldn't have it. Although using it may be a different thing.

We all know the arguement that you don't need a 2391/2395 to do EICR just be "competent". But you're right, why wouldn't you want to have it. Having it doesnt prove you can inspect & test but having it adds weight to your competency credibility.

If you have it then you can atleast claim at some point you were somewhere along the competent to test & inspect line! Without it you you're having to do further justification.

Im amazed that EICR's havent been incorporated somehow in the Part 'P' banner to atleast show some inclination to controlling who does them -- the schemes could then require a formal insp & test cert. At the moment literally anyone can do them --- I did some "correction work" for one completed by an appliance fixing engineer!

Yes I have 3 certs, just to let you know been in touch with Napit and you can do a restricted full scope, sigh, in a nutshell you can do full domestic including magical locations, but not industrial, and no 3rd party sign offs, lol how much industrial stuff requires part p. Ohhh and guess what restricted full scope does not require inspect and test certs, all for a small fee of £576. Thats a lot of T&E up the chute. Its all so wrong why has the sparky rolled over and accepted this clear exploitation of earnings, I shall be lobbying local government, it's raving bonkers.

Yes I have 3 certs, just to let you know been in touch with Napit and you can do a restricted full scope, sigh, in a nutshell you can do full domestic including magical locations, but not industrial, and no 3rd party sign offs, lol how much industrial stuff requires part p. Ohhh and guess what restricted full scope does not require inspect and test certs, all for a small fee of £576. Thats a lot of T&E up the chute. Its all so wrong why has the sparky rolled over and accepted this clear exploitation of earnings, I shall be lobbying local government, it's raving bonkers.
You should call Elecsa - it may be cheaper, or Stroma

We all know the arguement that you don't need a 2391/2395 to do EICR just be "competent". But you're right, why wouldn't you want to have it. Having it doesnt prove you can inspect & test but having it adds weight to your competency credibility.

If you have it then you can atleast claim at some point you were somewhere along the competent to test & inspect line! Without it you you're having to do further justification.

Im amazed that EICR's havent been incorporated somehow in the Part 'P' banner to atleast show some inclination to controlling who does them -- the schemes could then require a formal insp & test cert. At the moment literally anyone can do them --- I did some "correction work" for one completed by an appliance fixing engineer!

oh for christs sake....:nonod:

I'm really annoyed about these schemes, how do they cope with a european spark that wants to work in the uk, this needs lobbying in numbers.

listen boys:

there was this story i was told..oh a while back now..

twas an `electrician` from spain (possibly from barcelona)...goin round wirin stuff up..

it was all TN-C how he`d done it.....all of it i was told....lol...

all for a small fee of £576

Suggest you find out how much the others are to sign up to, I was told Stroma is cheap. And then either sign up to the cheapest or tell NAPIT you're going elsewhere unless they match it. I daresay they won't, but I bet they'll come down about a hundred notes or so.

Suggest you find out how much the others are to sign up to, I was told Stroma is cheap. And then either sign up to the cheapest or tell NAPIT you're going elsewhere unless they match it. I daresay they won't, but I bet they'll come down about a hundred notes or so.
double check on that...

as i`v heard from some posts in here that they`v a load of hidden charges they try to bum you with....

listen boys:

there was this story i was told..oh a while back now..

twas an `electrician` from spain (possibly from barcelona)...goin round wirin stuff up..

it was all TN-C how he`d done it.....all of it i was told....lol...

Bloody hell don't let Pedro near a hospital life support IT type supply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say considerably more people have heard and know of the 'British Standards Institute' than any of these Mickey Mouse outfits like NIC, NAPIT etc etc.

Where clients have a perception of anyone being market leader / gold standard, they usually seem to think it's NICEIC, though it galls me to say it

I have no comment to make about whether BSi actually stands for Bureaucratic, Slow & Inefficient.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what i can make of it the EAL 2364/65 is an open book examination, so not much different than NAPIT's own brew 2391!!! Makes you wonder, what's the bloody point to it all!!! ....Apart from money aspect that is!!

You would be surprised how many highly technical industrial sparks would not know the routine for a domestic test, they would fully understand the principles but the actual parts that need to be done like checking the ring r1+r2 and Zs etc im not sure they would do it naturally.

You would be surprised how many highly technical industrial sparks would not know the routine for a domestic test, they would fully understand the principles but the actual parts that need to be done like checking the ring r1+r2 and Zs etc im not sure they would do it naturally.

I would indeed be highly surprised if an industrial electrician wouldn't be testing ring circuits correctly, and even more surprised if they didn't test for Zs values. Routines are exactly the same for industrial installations as they are for domestic/commercial installations. They will also in many cases, be conducting tests that are outside of anything laid out under BS7671...

Reply to Napit Qualification requirements in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net