Discuss Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

well I was always taught that it was a no no, and although there is no regulation against, I consider it bad practice, connector blocks should not be used in switches. Even if you were to use double pole switches, it would not help with 2 way and intermediate's.

In my 25 years of sparking, I can honestly say that I have never seen it.

I think the difference is having a decent apprenticeship where you was taught what was what, and not what these new kids on the block get taught at college today, then go out into the big world of sparking without any practical experience.

Reminds me of something I saw about 6 years ago working on the CTRL for Drakes (Emcor). basically it was a conduit system that had been 3 plated in singles, and the switch line and feed had been taped together as if it was a twin and earth to go down to the switch, ( brown and blue had been used, and the blue had brown tape on it), and was just so much easier to 2 plate it.

Made me laugh no end, as the guy who did it was always saying 'I am the mutts nuts'

alright Colin you still out there mate?

Again.....Give a valid electrical reason not just blind prejudice.
Many luminaires (wall lights,down lights) are not practical to 3 plate....running feeds through switches and having one cable at the lights is safer and more practical in an awful lot of instances,.....I'm a time served sparks of 30 yrs and have used the method many times.
To any recently qualified people unsure after reading this thread ,IT IS NOT BAD PRACTICE TO RUN NEUTRALS THROUGH SWITCHES WHEN CIRCUMSTANCES DICTATE.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see the problem with neutrals at the switch and dont see what all the fuss is about??
Either way works
And either way can make that particular job easy/difficult
Personally though I use a wago for the neutrals at the switch

happy days

well I was always taught that it was a no no, and although there is no regulation against, I consider it bad practice, connector blocks should not be used in switches. Even if you were to use double pole switches, it would not help with 2 way and intermediate's.

In my 25 years of sparking, I can honestly say that I have never seen it.

I think the difference is having a decent apprenticeship where you was taught what was what, and not what these new kids on the block get taught at college today, then go out into the big world of sparking without any practical experience.

Reminds me of something I saw about 6 years ago working on the CTRL for Drakes (Emcor). basically it was a conduit system that had been 3 plated in singles, and the switch line and feed had been taped together as if it was a twin and earth to go down to the switch, ( brown and blue had been used, and the blue had brown tape on it), and was just so much easier to 2 plate it.

Made me laugh no end, as the guy who did it was always saying 'I am the mutts nuts'

alright Colin you still out there mate?

Just because someone does things differently to yourself doesnt mean they havent had a decent apprenticeship or are inexperienced with the practical aspect of the trade. As has been pointed out there are benefits to both systems and no valid reason against either. I have worked for 13 years in the domestic field and worked for probably any major housebuilder you care to mention and i have only ever met 1 electrician who wired loop in at the lights, i had no problem with him doing this the way he felt was best and certainly wouldnt have questioned his electrical ability.

Last edited:
Still nobody has been able to give a reason why neutrals in switches are bad practice...Any takers?...anyone?
The only thing I can think of is when you introduce joe public to the equation; doing his like for like replacement. But that goes just the same for a ceiling rose, so no increased risk per se.

,IT IS NOT BAD PRACTICE TO RUN NEUTRALS THROUGH SWITCHES WHEN CIRCUMSTANCES DICTATE.

Tell me then, .....Were you actually taught during serving your time, to wire thru switch points as a standard wiring practice, using them as joint boxes?? I'll answer that for you, ....No you wasn't!!! Perhaps maybe because it was and as far as i'm concerned still is not a good practice!!!!

I don't think anyone here opposed to wiring thru switch boxes, is saying never a neutral at a switch box!! As i say if wiring for an outside light etc, no problem....

In fairness to Mrenigma I do seem to recall from my apprenticeship...(30 yrs ago!) that neutrals in switches were always considered bad practice.....however there has been a general change of view on this in the trade AND in the NIC...mainly I believe because nobody has ever been able to come up with a reason why it's bad practice.

Reply to Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net