Discuss Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

With so many cables in a backbox there is certainly a more likelihood of damage to one of them cables. Especially in regards to screwing the faceplate on.

IMG_0727.jpg

hope this works

It's closed, case dismissed, the prosecution failed to turn up!

sorry iq I forgot that you are always right.

ok to conclude

back in the day 'we' was taught not to do it
there is not a reg against it
modern wiring practices have adopted the method, just wish crabtree, mk and others would.

Not been on the tools for 10 years, but I think i would use the looped neutral at switches now, if it made things easier, but I certainly would not have considered it before today!

I am converted....

Why do you disagree with it? most connections are within a screw terminal of some sort or other, thats all a block is

ok lets go to bigger switches, and by that I mean 4, 5 ,6 gangs and upwards, and you had maybe 5,6 feeds at the one switch, its going to look pretty ugly, and what would you think if you took the switch off and 7 connector blocks sprung out at you!

personnaly neutral at switch because im fed up of going round to my brothers every time he buys new lights and they wont switch cuz the dope has bundled everything that is brown in the same block and i have to sort it out.

personnaly neutral at switch because im fed up of going round to my brothers every time he buys new lights and they wont switch cuz the dope has bundled everything that is brown in the same block and i have to sort it out.

but how many times have you been asked to fix a light 'cos be blows up when the switch is turned on, always a nice little earner

ok lets go to bigger switches, and by that I mean 4, 5 ,6 gangs and upwards, and you had maybe 5,6 feeds at the one switch, its going to look pretty ugly, and what would you think if you took the switch off and 7 connector blocks sprung out at you!

Yep, agree with you but generally I think the post was directed at normal run of the mill rewire.

And that could be a scenario where neutrals at the switch are not a good idea.

Again, as a competent designer /installer, you choose the wiring system that best suits the installation, don't just make sweeping statements on whether a method is right or wrong!

I'm certainly not always right, but I try to look at things objectively without propagating the weird myths that seem to pop up constantly.

Been working on and doing this myself for a while. Its common in new build apartments i have found and also i do it when wiring for down lights. Saves guessing what light the guy put the rats nest of a joint box. Nothing wrong with it just a "modern" way i guess.

Reply to Neutrals at switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net