Discuss New E7 meter. Do I still need a timer for storage heater circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm out of touch with modern meters and haven't done a E7 install for years.
Trying to get info on a Ace9000 Kbd prepayment Economy 7 meter.
I've installed an additional cu for two storage heater circuits. Empty flat and supplier has left an isolator after the meter. Can I connect tails to the off peak supply without a timer or contactor. Does the meter do all this?

Thanks for any guidance. Mark.

IMG_20170719_115830.jpg

i would think so. there are 2 L tails coming out, so it appears to be a dual tariff meter.

and looking at the £2.86 credit, it needs feeding. :confused:

have you checked the same terminal after midnight?

could be that what you ID as terminal 5 is the daytime output and terminal4 is night.

Could you have been testing during an afternoon boost period (if such a thing still exists these days)

If both outgoing lives from the meter are permanently live then it suggests the meter may be faulty. Contact the electricity supplier for help with this.

Could you have been testing during an afternoon boost period (if such a thing still exists these days)

If both outgoing lives from the meter are permanently live then it suggests the meter may be faulty. Contact the electricity supplier for help with this.

Looks that way guys. thanks for your input Dave and Tel. Ill contact them tomorrow and let you know the outcome.

The tariff code could be single rate, hence both live. Do you have j screen and k ?if not it's single. Set for 24hrs suppy

The customer requested an Economy 7 meter so he could have storage heaters installed. I was expecting the meter to do the off peak switching. Ill check when i go back but does that mean its the wrong meter or that we have to provide external timer? Thanks Dave

The meter is ok, them prepayment meters are universal to all tariff's, the customer needs to ring their supplier to change the tariff code, by issuing new key, or may need visit. Once done 5th terminal will only switch on off peak times, no need for additional timer.

The meter is ok, them prepayment meters are universal to all tariff's, the customer needs to ring their supplier to change the tariff code, by issuing new key, or may need visit. Once done 5th terminal will only switch on off peak times, no need for additional timer.

Dave, You're a star. Thanks guys for all the feedback.

Update: Two meter installers have called . British Gas is the supplier. Both have been unable to set the meter up for E7 and have changed the meter as well with no joy. Last one said he will send a more experienced installer to set it up. All good fun .

Reply to New E7 meter. Do I still need a timer for storage heater circuits? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net