Currently reading:
New sub board for shed swa advice.

Discuss New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys new to the forum after bit of advice. My family are installing a new shed in the garden and require a lot of power ie few sockets, lights. I am planning of running a swa fed from 32a mcb from the main board to a sub board.
Have a question-
Shall I install the new 32a mcb in the main board on the RCD side or main switch side?
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys, I was planning on using swa because because it's going to be run external but clip direct not buried at any point.
I did think RCD only at the sub board would be the best setup.
Earthing arrangement is TN-CS
Now the issue with earthing the armour is the main board is plastic so the 'o ring' would be useless but it will be done on the new sub board. Earthing will be identified using the black core both ends.

73661.jpg

I might be wrong but im assuming the op is not an electrician as some of his replies are lacking even basic knowledge.
I am surprised the thread is open still as i can see it turning into us designing the whole job.
No mention of how he is getting this signed of by an electrician of bc to comply with part p either

Im still in training at the moment this is all new to me, my family will be getting in a local spark but im intrigued to learn the installation method. Thanks for the comments
"I am planning of running a swa fed from 32a mcb from the main board to a sub board." ????

earthing the armour at the downstream end is OK but it would slow down the disconnection time for faults near the origin. and hopefully no extraneous conductive parts in the outbuilding?
@netblindpaul since you pressed Disagree, I'm looking forward to your explanation or edit did you mean you have to earth from the head end?

Yes, you must connect the SWA to the installation earthing system at the supply end.
You should see that when you do your design FMEA.
I'm not an electrician but do you mean the physical connection must be at the supply end, or just that the armour has to be connected to the earthing system that protects it?
I guess you're suggesting if the cable is cleanly cut quickly enough (5s disconnection time) it may leave an unprotected live conductor physically separated from the cpc that protects it, and possibly shorted to the now floating armour.

I'm not an electrician but do you mean the physical connection must be at the supply end, or just that the armour has to be connected to the earthing system that protects it?
I guess you're suggesting if the cable is cleanly cut quickly enough (5s disconnection time) it may leave an unprotected live conductor physically separated from the cpc that protects it, and possibly shorted to the now floating armour.
One potential failure mode yes.

There are occasions when earthing the armour [when a seperate cpc exists in the cable] can only be carried out at the 'load' end and I can't see any reason why this is detrimental to safety when done correctly. I wish people would stop posting misleading nonsense. :rolleyes:
What are these occasions then?

Reply to New sub board for shed swa advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock