Discuss No power to whole house after water fell on to cooker??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend has just called as his daughter in Belfast (many, many, many miles from me!) has just lost all power after water fell into the cooker/hob.

I straight away thought it has to be a main RCD somewhere, but I cannot see one in the pictures they have sent and they don't 'think' there is one.

I realise the main switch is switched off on the BS3036 fusebox, they have said it is on now, but still no power anywhere, although I am getting them to confirm if they really mean everywhere as I can see a separate consumer unit doing the shower, so I have asked them to find out if power to the shower. Also, the old black BILL unit supplies the garage, so i have asked them to see if power in the garage.

update... no power to absolutely everywhere (including shower and garage)

Perhaps the main cut out? Really unlikely, but possible.

CU1.jpg CU2.jpg CU3.jpg

Obviously the cooker circuit needs checking before re energising

Looks like no display on the meter. If so no power to it.
So Either a power cut or the main fuse has decided to jack it all in and shuffle off this mortal coil.

Probably a co-incident, and there is a power-cut, get them to check with neighbours.

I would be surprised if water spilt on top of a cooker would trip an RCD, let along a physical fuse.
Unless we are talking a substantial amount of water......

Not liking the look of melted bitumen below the main fuse. Could have been overheating for some time, the cooker incident maybe took it over the edge.

Probably a co-incident, and there is a power-cut, get them to check with neighbours.

I would be surprised if water spilt on top of a cooker would trip an RCD, let along a physical fuse.
neighbours light are on.

I would go with James and say Main dno fuse ! Although like Dave has pointed out that is another possibility ! There is a fault on the supply at Lisburn depends whereabouts they live it may have some effect.
I know you said belfast but wondered if that may just be a general comment

I've seen water in cooker controls take out a 45a 1361. insulation tested cooker, all seemed ok. Put in new fuse. Started checking each part of the cooker, got to the second hob control which revealed the fault in a fantastically loud way. I must have jumped 2' off the floor!

I've seen water in cooker controls take out a 45a 1361. insulation tested cooker, all seemed ok. Put in new fuse. Started checking each part of the cooker, got to the second hob control which revealed the fault in a fantastically loud way. I must have jumped 2' off the floor!
Brown trousers moment!?

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. It's great that we can fire these questions up, and electricians all over the country put their minds together and come up with possible answers/solutions. Pretty damn cool really?.

I'll update when I know more.

Never seen on ego personally but did a job last year where the 3036 had failed to go and took out the main incomer instead, the DNO chap had never had to change one either, consumer unit was changed pretty soon afterwards ?

Reply to No power to whole house after water fell on to cooker??? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net