Discuss No RCD in place.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

How long ago were the 32 amps MCBs fitted it is only since 2008 that sockets in domestic dwellings have to be RCD/RCBO protected so if it was before this then there is no need to have it done retrospectively.

As I said they don't have to provide RCD protection for anything exisiting just what work they carry on any circuit. Earthing conduits is certainly no reason to do this neither.

Should you have any doubt about it maybe contact the council and raise your concern with them.

Hi all,

I forgot to mention at the beginning of this thread that recently the council added a fused spur to the radial circuit in my Mother's property.

Would this addition to the circuit make them now responsible for the circuit and adding an RCD to it or is the work negligible in this circumstance, like the afore mentioned earthing of the metal conduit?

Thanks,

Michael.

(I know someone has already stated about making a mountain out of a molehill but last week my sister and I received a shock from the unearthed metal conduit it wasn't 230V but we would still feel safer with an RCD in place. If the council won't do it then we will buy one ourselves and employ an electrician to install it for us!)

A fused spur does not require RCD protection.
It is only some sockets that require RCD protection.
However the cables if they are concealed in a wall at a depth less than 50mm may well require RCD protection.
How has the fused spur been wired, are the cables concealed in the wall, or are they in trunking on the surface?
No they would not be responsible for the circuit unless it is in a bath or shower room.
They would only be responsible for the new cables.
Not to say, that it may be easier to provide RCD protection for the circuit rather than just the new cables (if required).

A fused spur does not require RCD protection.
It is only some sockets that require RCD protection.
However the cables if they are concealed in a wall at a depth less than 50mm may well require RCD protection.
How has the fused spur been wired, are the cables concealed in the wall, or are they in trunking on the surface?
No they would not be responsible for the circuit unless it is in a bath or shower room.
They would only be responsible for the new cables.
Not to say, that it may be easier to provide RCD protection for the circuit rather than just the new cables (if required).

Hi spin,

Thanks for clarifying!

The fused spur is a switchable wall mounted box which has been mounted above an already existing wall mounted twin gang socket.

The fused spur wiring leaves the switchable spur box and is contained within metal conduit which runs to the ceiling.

3/4 of the way up the conduit the spur wiring exits to the exterior of the property and runs to an outside PIR light.

Also contained in the conduit is the existing wiring of the radial circuit which runs to the 1st floor sockets.

This hasn't been altered, only in as much as it has been disconnected from the double gang socket in order for the metal conduit to be installed (It's new conduit).

Cables that are concealed in walls require additional protection.
The options are:
To bury the cables at a depth greater than 50mm.
To use a cable which incorporates an earthed sheath.
To install the cables in earthed conduit or trunking.
To provide mechanical protection sufficient to prevent penetration by screws or nails.
To run the cables in prescribed zones and provide 30mA RCD protection.
By using the earthed conduit, they are very likely covering two of the available options.
There is no minimum distance for a socket or accessory to be from a sink in a kitchen.
It is widely recomended that it be at least 300mm, either horizontally or vertically from the sink (ignore the drainer) part, or basin.

Hi spin,

Thanks for clarifying!

The fused spur is a switchable wall mounted box which has been mounted above an already existing wall mounted twin gang socket.

The fused spur wiring leaves the switchable spur box and is contained within metal conduit which runs to the ceiling.

3/4 of the way up the conduit the spur wiring exits to the exterior of the property and runs to an outside PIR light.

Also contained in the conduit is the existing wiring of the radial circuit which runs to the 1st floor sockets.

This hasn't been altered, only in as much as it has been disconnected from the double gang socket in order for the metal conduit to be installed (It's new conduit).

What have you done about the conduit you got a electric shhock off? Did you report it too HSE?

If you are that concerned about your mothers electeics in her flat I would recomend getting EICR carried out at your own cost and then present it too the council should any code 1 or 2s be on it for them to repair.

Hi all,

I forgot to mention at the beginning of this thread that recently the council added a fused spur to the radial circuit in my Mother's property.

Would this addition to the circuit make them now responsible for the circuit and adding an RCD to it or is the work negligible in this circumstance, like the afore mentioned earthing of the metal conduit?

Thanks,

Michael.

(I know someone has already stated about making a mountain out of a molehill but last week my sister and I received a shock from the unearthed metal conduit it wasn't 230V but we would still feel safer with an RCD in place. If the council won't do it then we will buy one ourselves and employ an electrician to install it for us!)

How do you know the conduit is unearthed. It could be that it is earthed and that it is discharging static from your body.

Dillb, I've not noticed in the OP's posts that they have received a shock.

Sintra, in one of the OP's earlier posts, they mention that contractors came and earthed the conduit.

Dillb, I've not noticed in the OP's posts that they have received a shock.

Sintra, in one of the OP's earlier posts, they mention that contractors came and earthed the conduit.

That sounds like the original conduit system has been compromised, when the building was converted to apartments/housing units!! Though how the conduit has become a potential carrying containment is a bit of a mystery?

Must admit, I'm getting a bit confused now.
I hadn't noticed that in post 41, the OP states they and their sister had received a shock off of the conduit.
In post 5, the OP states: "and also a few days ago they earthed some metal conduits within the property".

I'm begining to think that the OP is not being quite upfront and open with us.

Must admit, I'm getting a bit confused now.
I hadn't noticed that in post 41, the OP states they and their sister had received a shock off of the conduit.
In post 5, the OP states: "and also a few days ago they earthed some metal conduits within the property".

I'm begining to think that the OP is not being quite upfront and open with us.

Which was my exact thoughts well over 12 hours ago.

Sounds to me like this is all about "Is there a way I can sue the arses off someone at the council and get shedloads of compo".....dont understand why the OP didnt just ask that in post#1.

Sounds to me like this is all about "Is there a way I can sue the arses off someone at the council and get shedloads of compo".....dont understand why the OP didnt just ask that in post#1.

Its probably because the OP was aware of the 'official forum troll', Biff55 waiting to attach his wife's handcuffs onto any unsuspecting newbie

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Its probably because the OP was aware of the 'official forum troll', Biff55 waiting to attach his wife's handcuffs onto any unsuspecting newbie

:biggrinjester::biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

close ...
replace "attach" with smash.
replace "wifes handcuffs" with dads sledgehammer.
;-)

Did you measure the voltage at 230v?

Is the original Socket metalclad and does it have a separate earth conductor in it?
Is the new Spur metalclad and does that have an earth conductor in it?

Reply to No RCD in place.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net