Discuss No RCD in place.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

More than likely although there are still circumstances even on new installations were a socket circuit does not need RCD protection. Remember in TN systems the RCD is only there for additional protection. RCD's are not the be all and end all, do you know how many would fail proper testing.

Back to your op, so long as the installation complied to the version of BS 7671 in place at that time and is still in a serviceable condition then there is no need to upgrade.

Some sockets do not require RCD protection.
Older versions of the Regulations (BS7671) did not require RCD protection to the same extent as the current version.
AS such if an installation complied at the time of construction with the version of the Regulations in force at that time, there is no requirement for the installation to be upgraded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to your op, so long as the installation complied to the version of BS 7671 in place at that time and is still in a serviceable condition then there is no need to upgrade.[/QUOTE]

The regs are non statutory but can be used in a court of law. And as I said not retrospective. So as above if it complies to the regs when installed then you can't then tell a customer that its not safe now as it doesn't meet the current regs, so now you have to spend £700 to bring it up to the current standard as a whole.

No offence taken, true, I do have some knowledge of electrical practices and basic theory.

I am not a qualified electrician or consider myself to be any where near the level of someone who has studied in the field, hence the reason why I am asking you all so many questions.

The whole point of this thread was to help me understand the legality and working practice behind electrical regulations.

Now I understand a lot more than I did 5 hours ago!

Murdoch what is your problem mate?

Is this not a place where people like myself can come to ask advice from professionals or is it some clique club where if you don't fit in sly comment's and digs are made at you? Grow up!

@Sintra, Chrish & Spinlondon, thanks I now understand that work complying with older regs at the time of installation do not have to be brought up to standard with newer regs unless work is carried out to the installation.

I guess if every installation did have to be brought up to standard then there would be a hell of a lot of work needed!

@Sintra, Chrish & Spinlondon, thanks I now understand that work complying with older regs at the time of installation do not have to be brought up to standard with newer regs unless work is carried out to the installation.

I guess if every installation did have to be brought up to standard then there would be a hell of a lot of work needed!

Exactly. As long as its still safe as per the regs it was installed by then all good if not needs bringing up to current regs

dont take the replies the wrong way. Just lots of people come on here thinking they can be sparks and do the job themselves or can argue about regs with a good spark. Normally apprentices do that ;)

I didn't take your's the wrong way Chrish, Murdoch's however I have.

I understand exactly what you are saying, I am inexperienced and whenever I do electrical work in my job I do so in as safe a way as I know possible, not like these people that you talk of.

It may seem like I'm arguing but believe me that is not my intended way to come across, I am merely trying to gain a clear understanding!

What I don't understand is what is wrong with my previous posts?

Am I fitting into some sort of stereotype/category that you have on these forums?

What I don't understand is what is wrong with my previous posts?

Am I fitting into some sort of stereotype/category that you have on these forums?

Not a stereotype. More like my post a little bit of knowledge and all that, you can only find out so much from websites, google etc. if you are ever in any doubt get an expert in, being in exhibitions you should know that. I also worked building stands and i cant imagine touching electrics whatever voltage without being trained

Not a stereotype. More like my post a little bit of knowledge and all that, you can only find out so much from websites, google etc. if you are ever in any doubt get an expert in, being in exhibitions you should know that. I also worked building stands and i cant imagine touching electrics whatever voltage without being trained

Yes you are right I can't deny this.

However I know that what I do is safe, despite having no formal qualifications.

I know this just further illustrates your point about little knowledge, no training but I have self taught myself to a certain degree and my work only comprises of essentially creating and running extension cables around our booths.

I never delve outside of my area of knowledge and if I am unsure, I do always ask someone else, namely a professional!

We use safe connection methods (Wieland Gesis), everything is earthed, fused adequately, the supply is provided by the electrical contractor for the event etc.. After 6 years doing this I am still alive (So far..)

Look now I am trying to justify myself..

Last edited by a moderator:
dance, the nearest analogy i can make is with cars. cars 1st regbistered before a certain date , in 1965, i think , did not require seat belts. they do not have to have them retro fitted now. same with RCDs. if they were not required by the regs. when the installation was put in, then they don't need them fitting now. although in both cases, the car and the electrical installation would be safer.

Reply to No RCD in place.. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net