Discuss Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well Geordie I suppose you could solder it if you really wanted to, but by the time you've messed about cutting floorboards, warming up your soldering iron, stripping the cable, cutting the heat shrink, putting the heat shrink over the sheath and then the individual insulation, soldered a new bit of wire on, shrunk the heat shrink and put the floorboard back together, you might as well have pulled in one fresh new continuous bit.

Well Geordie I suppose you could solder it if you really wanted to, but by the time you've messed about cutting floorboards, warming up your soldering iron, stripping the cable, cutting the heat shrink, putting the heat shrink over the sheath and then the individual insulation, soldered a new bit of wire on, shrunk the heat shrink and put the floorboard back together, you might as well have pulled in one fresh new continuous bit.

You missed a bit out there ......... The bit where you solder the joint then have to un-solder it because you've forgotten to put the heat shrink sleeve on first ...........

Personally i think 4 inches from the floor looks real bad so i will be going up to around 12 inches from the floor. There is no slack in the existing cables form the floor so i will have to extend the wires end of. I could do it in the old single back box and fit a blanking plate using crimps or choccy block i suppose? Not sure on the going home and coming back next day comment - not much help really :sad3:
So why not use wago's in the existing box, extend up to required height/fit new box and socket and blank plate on old box. no problem with access on joints, quick and easy

It's far too low, looks stupid.

It may look stupid to you but what does your customer think? If they don't mind how low they are (which I assume they don't considering they must have been living with them for some while) then what you are proposing is a whole load of unneccessary work! And if you're not joking about the blanking plate and choccy idea, a whole load of sheeeite!!!

5 single to double socket converters and a bit of G/Y sleeving makes this a 30 minute job. I hope you're not proposing these preposterous ideas to your customer in order to make a fast buck. Cowboys aren't often given a kind welcome in this forum!

As d skelton has said why not single to double converters or maybe use hager/ashley Maintenance free jbs under the floor,if its a ring can you not find the 2 legs and pull some new sections in,blank plates under new sockets will look a bit unappealing to the eye.

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the comments are useful, some not. I thought the idea of a forum was to get constructive comments not condescending ones? I don't mind a bit of banter at all but I object to being called a cowboy. If you have nothing useful to say then don't bother making comments like that. It may be of amusement to you and your other keyboard warrior mates but not to me and other sensible people on here. Ever thought the customer may not have been there long and also that they have asked for them to be a little higher? If you want to slag me off or call me things just send me a message and we will deal with it.

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the comments are useful, some not. I thought the idea of a forum was to get constructive comments not condescending ones?

A constructive comment would be something along the lines of: "What you are proposing to do with blanking plates and connector blocks is a load of pants, think of something else".

I object to being called a cowboy.

I think you'll find that in as many words I said that I hoped you weren't a cowboy, not that you are one.

Ever thought the customer may not have been there long and also that they have asked for them to be a little higher?

If this is the case then if you'd included this info in the OP then you probably wouldn't have received such 'condescending' comments.

The fact remains that you've come on a forum populated by a lot of experienced sparks masquerading as an electrician yet you're asking how to extend a socket outlet!? This type of question stinks of inexperience and unfortunatley if you're gonna ask such questions in 'ere then you're gonna need a thick skin. Christ, just wait until you blag your way on site and start asking these types of questions, I can assure you that 'condescending' comments would be the least of your worries!

My sincere apologies if you are in fact a time served and fully qualified spark asking such a silly question and not in fact a Electrical Trainee but I somehow doubt this is the case.

Thanks for all the replies. Some of the comments are useful, some not. I thought the idea of a forum was to get constructive comments not condescending ones? I don't mind a bit of banter at all but I object to being called a cowboy. If you have nothing useful to say then don't bother making comments like that. It may be of amusement to you and your other keyboard warrior mates but not to me and other sensible people on here. Ever thought the customer may not have been there long and also that they have asked for them to be a little higher? If you want to slag me off or call me things just send me a message and we will deal with it.

WHERE exactly has anybody called you a cowboy?

I have read and re-read this entire thread twice and NOWHERE can I see you being called cowboy anywhere.

I would be happy for you to correct me.

Reply to Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net