Discuss Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Personally i think 4 inches from the floor looks real bad......................It's far too low, looks stupid. Connector block behind blanking plate is probably the way to go. Soldering is second choice then crimps last as they are unreliable. Thanks all.
Too low, looks stupid? Its not your house! If the customer wants them to stay at 4 inches, or wants them mounted upside down, and the light switches turned round so they switch sideways that's their business. As a professional you can suggest and advise the customer, but at the end of the day if they want something in a silly place and it doesn't contravene the regulations then that's their choice.

Imagine your response if a decorator came round and said "no, I'm not painting the wall that colour, it looks stupid. I want to paint it green."

Connector block behind blanking plates would be an awful way to do this. Needless extra joints and would look considerably worse than a too-low socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the replies. Some of the comments are useful, some not. I thought the idea of a forum was to get constructive comments not condescending ones? I don't mind a bit of banter at all but I object to being called a cowboy. If you have nothing useful to say then don't bother making comments like that. It may be of amusement to you and your other keyboard warrior mates but not to me and other sensible people on here. Ever thought the customer may not have been there long and also that they have asked for them to be a little higher? If you want to slag me off or call me things just send me a message and we will deal with it.

I’ll correct an omission in the other posts.
After reading you’re proposal for extending the cable “you are a cowboy”.

As for the blank plate idea that is going to look atrocious, once done you can walk away. The customer will have to look at it.

If you were looking to wind people you’ve succeeded with me.

Reply to Old single sockets, unsheathed cpc. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net