Discuss Prescribed zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just wondering if the prescribed cable zones still applies to the outside of a property? Client wants two extra outside lights on the rear of the house after the walls and ceilings have been finished etc. Lights will be either side of a doorway so thought about running up from existing light, above doorway and down to new light but then she says she doesn't want to see the cables etc. Short of burying conduit or swa in the wall, will this meet regs?

Cheers
Joel.

From your description, I don't really understand what you are proposing. Cables buried inside, or outside, or in the cavity, or not buried at all?

Sorry I'll make it a bit clearer.

One existing outside light fed from inside. She now wants another outside light the other side of the doorway. Inside is plastered painted etc so wanted to run it from the existing light up outside and across the top of the door frame and down to the next light. Was going to fix it surface in white fp200 but she doesn't want to see the cable.

Do the prescribed zones as shown in the regs apply to exterior installations as well as interior?

Clear as mud
[emoji3]

Yes the zones apply, it applies for any hidden/buried cables in walls ;)

It should not be a problem though as you will have visible "accessories".

I may have misunderstood, but surely if you are going up, across, then down you are deviating from the prescribed zone anyway? Daz

You will need to either move the existing light up and run across to the new one at the same height, or sink suitable JBs with covers visible above each light, or run surface in some way, black plastic conduit maybe ?

Let who render over it? So she is gonna have her house rendered to hide your cables?? Or is it being rendered anyway? In which case why is she worried about seeing the cable?

Reply to Prescribed zones in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net