Discuss Programmer close to sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

stratplus

Thoughts on this?

dajaju6e.jpg

Electrical apperateus segregated from non electrical services.! So you'd put it there murd..?

It's segregated from the other services, it's not a cable strapped to a gas pipe or anything like that is it?

Nobody has said they would install it like that themselves, just that you'd be hard pressed to find a reason to condemn it.

Not a place I would fit it however the guideline is 300mm horizontally from the drain point. Note the word guideline it's not a regulation.

BS 7671 does not specify any minimum distance for socket-outlets to be from a sink. However, regulation 512.2.1 requires external influences to be considered when selecting equipment for a particular location. Accessories used in domestic installations are not designed to be splashed and therefore not suitable for installation close to a sink or draining board. For this reason, it is recommended that socket-outlets and other accessories should be located at least 300 mm, measured horizontally, from a sink or draining board, where they are less likely to get splashed.

Straight from the ECA website.

Doesn't say guideline but does say recommendation davesparks will this pass?!

..... Straight from the ECA website. Doesn't say guideline but does say recommendation ......

Also 300mm is guidance in the likes of the IET publication "electricians guide to the building regs".

The trouble with any form of guidance/recommendation (which is effectively what BS7671 does) is that you don't need to follow it and provided nothing goes wrong all is tickty boot.

However, once something goes wrong and you are in a court of law then you will have to justify technically why you didn't follow the recommendations given by the authoritative electrical bodies (IET, ECA etc ....). Which is a big ask for a humble tradesman when the electrical bodies wheel out their 'experts' to give evidence as to why it should have been followed.

For anyone who has not been there its a harrowing experience to see a colleague shot to pieces when an 'expert witness' gives his view to a court of law .....

Reply to Programmer close to sink in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net