• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Pulling the dno fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi all

The other day a friend of mine who owns a restaurant lost power so I went to take a look for him as I was only around the corner. Upon arriving I found that the tails straight off the meter into the switch fuse had burnt out and one of them was hanging out the box (it was quite a mess and I took photos). As i didnt have any tools on me at this point i couldnt check to see if the cables were safe (although I suspected it had blown the main fuses) so I pulled the main fuses (I didn't cut any tags) as this was the only means of isolation. I then called the electric board to come out and went to fetch my van to take a closer look.

When the man came out he gave me a lot of ---- and wanted to report me saying I put myself in huge danger (in the end he calmed down and said he wouldnt) but Its been playing on my mind. I was well aware of the risks of pulling the fuse but I thought there was a greater risk of leaving it and in the hour the at they took to come out what if i had my back turned and a member of the public had walked in and touched something.

Was he right in saying that I should have just left it because as far as I believe, if something was to have happened they would have said it was the electricians responcibily as it wasn't on their side of the meter. Do you think I did the right thing or could I have handled it any better?

Hi all

The other day a friend of mine who owns a restaurant lost power so I went to take a look for him as I was only around the corner. Upon arriving I found that the tails straight off the meter into the switch fuse had burnt out and one of them was hanging out the box (it was quite a mess and I took photos). As i didnt have any tools on me at this point i couldnt check to see if the cables were safe (although I suspected it had blown the main fuses) so I pulled the main fuses (I didn't cut any tags) as this was the only means of isolation. I then called the electric board to come out and went to fetch my van to take a closer look.

When the man came out he gave me a lot of **** and wanted to report me saying I put myself in huge danger (in the end he calmed down and said he wouldnt) but Its been playing on my mind. I was well aware of the risks of pulling the fuse but I thought there was a greater risk of leaving it and in the hour the at they took to come out what if i had my back turned and a member of the public had walked in and touched something.

Was he right in saying that I should have just left it because as far as I believe, if something was to have happened they would have said it was the electricians responcibily as it wasn't on their side of the meter. Do you think I did the right thing or could I have handled it any better?
Well I don't know the rules and regs regarding what you have described, but if you have the experience with electrical work and there was a likely hood of danger to staff or the public I would have done the same, you have to remember some of these meter men are jobsworths, do their work by numbers, bit like the Russian fighter pilots of years ago, wont do anything unless they are told to by their bosses, some can't think for themselves either.

Each DNO will likely have a different practice, but I'm semi familiar with SSE one (it's available on line). If I recall correctly an Electrician may pull their fuse in an emergency - a CU overheating was an example quoted. Protecting yourself from an arc flash is another issue, and I wouldn't pull a fuse without PPE if the meter was still whizzing.

Hi all

The other day a friend of mine who owns a restaurant lost power

but I thought there was a greater risk of leaving it and in the hour the at they took to come out what if i had my back turned and a member of the public had walked in and touched something.

The most sensible option would have been to instruct the owner / responsible person to lock up the premises (which they should already have done) and for you to have placed a physical barrier in front of the tails / cutout.

I did think afterwards I could have potentially just locked the area off but the issue was they had a restaurant full of people and the fuse board is in the main stairwell. I was not happy with just putting a barrier around the area. When pulling the fuses I wore flash gloves and a mask just in case but there was no load through the circuits as the switch fuse was off

The most sensible option would have been to instruct the owner / responsible person to lock up the premises (which they should already have done) and for you to have placed a physical barrier in front of the tails / cutout.
And watch the building catch fire? no I think the OP did the right thing in this case.

No mention of flames in the O.P

Lives come before buildings.
S o tails are smouldering away in mid air, the OP finds the owner tells him to evacuate the building, you go looking for some sort of barrier, or lock the door, in the meantime the cables are still hanging there with 230V on the ends, then go and call the DNO which will probably take some time for them to respond, once you have got past the 18 year old on the phone, mean while cable is still there maybe smouldering, still reckon the OP did the right thing.

S o tails are smouldering away in mid air, the OP finds the owner tells him to evacuate the building, you go looking for some sort of barrier, or lock the door, in the meantime the cables are still hanging there with 230V on the ends, then go and call the DNO which will probably take some time for them to respond, once you have got past the 18 year old on the phone, mean while cable is still there maybe smouldering, still reckon the OP did the right thing.
That is exactly what i thought, apart from it was 400v, my first instinct was to kill the power and normally when i have called them out before they have been really friendly, this one chap was a complete prat. What if someone had entered the building when I had my back turned. Not only that but I had the pressure of getting power back on as they had thousands of pounds worth of tables booked for that evening

Am i right in remembering that if an electrician see/finds something that is/could be dangerous/hazardous they have a duty to make it safe or they could be prosecuted if they didnt & someone got injured. So my way of seeing it they did right.

Also dno rules dont superseed electricity at works regulations or health & safety at works act.

Michael

Am i right in remembering that if an electrician see/finds something that is/could be dangerous/hazardous they have a duty to make it safe or they could be prosecuted if they didnt & someone got injured. So my way of seeing it they did right.

Also dno rules dont superseed electricity at works regulations or health & safety at works act.

Michael
This man didn't like it when I told him that haha

That is exactly what i thought, apart from it was 400v, my first instinct was to kill the power and normally when i have called them out before they have been really friendly, this one chap was a complete prat. What if someone had entered the building when I had my back turned. Not only that but I had the pressure of getting power back on as they had thousands of pounds worth of tables booked for that evening
4ooV even worse

As there was an immediate risk to life through a potential fire risk I would have done the same thing.

If the DNO wanted to take it further, crack on and see you in court.
That's what I thought, I was just seeing what other people would have done in this situation as I have not come across this before. I thought the way the technician acted was really unprofessional as he was shouting at me in front of the client saying i didn't know what I was doing. Even if he wasn't happy with the way I did things he could have pulled me to the side and had a chat with me. Luckily in this case the client was a friend

I'm quite sure no company wants one of their employees shouting at people. Irrespective of whether you did the right thing or not. Just saying :)

We all can act out of turn, when faced with a stressful situation. I guess that's why the DNO engineer lost his cool slightly. I suspect, given the opportunity, he would have commended you for your actions, but would of calmly explained the dangers of what you did.

Seems you acted in good faith, and for the benefit of others. Having had time to reconsider, would you do the same again?

I have withdrawn the DNO fuse in the past, the reason was the meter was smoking and arcing, I contacted the DNO for an emergency attendance and got he usual rhetoric on the phone about withdrawing the fuse and that it is illegal to interfere with their property, after telling them the reason their attitude quickly changed and it wasn't taken any further.

Having said this though, even in said situation there can be some big risks in doing so, especially if the cutout is damaged or aged, I have seen DNO cutout installers/upgraders on a few occasions refuse to touch the cutouts until power is removed upstream, when even the DNO won't pull the fuse live, you have to realise that the consequences can be deadly especially if you are ignorant to the possible risks.

As several others have already said, and in my opinion, you did the right thing and I would have done exactly the same from the information you've posted.

Sounds like the DNO guy was just being a jobsworth.

You mentioned you took photos... I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to see.

Reply to Pulling the dno fuse in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back