Discuss rcd protecting tails again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

the no.68 bus goes the other way, but ends up at the same place.

you'd have to be a complete lunatic to even contemplate burying tails in a domestic without steel conduit.

just think what will happen when mr diy / dave the kitchen fitter hits a cable thats backed up only by a 100A bs88 ??
yep , blow your face clean off.

and fitting a rcd wont help much either due to tails being seperate individual cables means the only the live could get hit , competely missing the neutral and your rcd will sleep through the whole incident.
it needs to come out to be honest , its dangerous.

you'd have to be a complete lunatic to even contemplate buring tails in a domestic without steel conduit.

just think what will happen when mr diy / dave the kitchen fitter hits a cable thats backed up only by a 100A bs88 ??

and fitting a rcd wont help much either due to tails being seperate individual cables means the only the live could get hit , competely missing the neutral and your rcd will sleep through the whole incident.

Agree totally. Removing is the way forward. Cheers guys have a good weekend

[/QUOTE]
but could you have just cut back the original tails ..left them in the wall and found an alternative route for an WSA....as i`m advising Onions to do?[/QUOTE]
Yeh was going to do that glenn but still would cause lot of damage to decor. Some customer just think your making it up to get more money especially if the house is a newish build which they expect to have been done correctly in first place

you'd have to be a complete lunatic to even contemplate burying tails in a domestic without steel conduit.

Current would still go to earth (via you), rather than returning through the neutral though. RCD should still trip. Obviously I'm not defending the current situation though (little pun there for you). Daz

Current would still go to earth (via you), rather than returning through the neutral though. RCD should still trip. Obviously I'm not defending the current situation though (little pun there for you). Daz

theoretically , you may be correct.

but would you like to prove your theory , possibly whilst wearing rubber sole trainers ?

i doubt it. ;-)

and under dead short fault conditions , a 100a bs88 will blow way way faster than a rcd , in which time your face will resemble a toasted mess.

Correct that it should be changed. But your incorrect regarding RCD. It wont sleep though incident, if someone drills it will short to earth through the drill, the imbalance would trip RCD. If someone nailed it and hit line tail it would fault to earth through them , limit shock and disconnect. It wouldn't disconnect just on BS88 fuse.

Correct that it should be changed. But your incorrect regarding RCD. It wont sleep though incident, if someone drills it will short to earth through the drill, the imbalance would trip RCD. If someone nailed it and hit line tail it would fault to earth through them , limit shock and disconnect. It wouldn't disconnect just on BS88 fuse.

fair enough , your right im wrong.
but im not going to suggest relying on a rcd is the solution to a potentially lethal design.

but could you have just cut back the original tails ..left them in the wall and found an alternative route for an WSA....as i`m advising Onions to do?[/QUOTE]
Yeh was going to do that glenn but still would cause lot of damage to decor. Some customer just think your making it up to get more money especially if the house is a newish build which they expect to have been done correctly in first place[/QUOTE]
yep...

thats often the case Bes....its largly pointless explaining too them about SWA, BS7671 or anything like that as they just dont know....so its a case of `suggesting` what would be appropriate...which like you says can more often than not leave them thinking your on the make....

I'd be raisin the roof with all these currents around..:shout:

fair enough , your right im wrong.but im not going to suggest relying on a rcd is the solution to a potentially lethal design.
not necessarily. most hammers have insulated shafts, so the L conductor could be pierced by a nail and if there is no leakage to E, the RCD would not trip. i'd not be putting my faith in a RCD anyway.

One good thing that could come out of this if one property done this way the whole estate may need redoing could make you a mint replacing them all. :rolleyes:

Reply to rcd protecting tails again in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net