Search the forum,

Discuss Requires in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

highspark

I ain't avin it!

Was speaking to someone in wholesales who reckons him another spark and mate have been rewiring and second fixing in an 8 hour day!

Thats either bravado or it's going to be poor poor quality and against the regs

*bloody iPhone put requires instead if rewires

Last edited by a moderator:
I ain't avin it!

Was speaking to someone in wholesales who reckons him another spark and mate have been requiring and second fixing in an 8 hour day!

Thats either bravado or it's going to be poor poor quality and against the regs
not really it may be a 1 room bedsit lol.

It can be done, I have completed a full rewire on a three bed house in a day. All applicable regs met, all old wiring removed, and new wiring installed.

Fair enough it was a doll's house, still means I can bull.... at the wholesalers though.

ive never in my life seen 1st and second fix in a day, what about all the other trades that come between? plasterers, tilers, decorators? is this bloody 60 minute makeover?

ive never in my life seen 1st and second fix in a day, what about all the other trades that come between? plasterers, tilers, decorators? is this bloody 60 minute makeover?

On decent homes work they rip out the kitchen and bathroom on day one, then you rewire on day two, then they come back to fit new kitchen, bathroom and tile.
Theres nothing holding you up (except the furniture :Mr-T: )

Might as well put and end to the thread because it CAN be done, councils have 4 sockets to a bedroom/living room etc and they are chased

Ive spent time working for a company in the past, checking if everything was ok on these as the councils clerk of works are really on the ball

It seems like a lot because it it, but it 100% CAN be done, worked with lads who did them day after day site after site, dont forget once u get onto a street they learn the wiring routes etc..

As said in the other thread i did a one day rewire a couple of weeks back, me and another spark and a labourer lifting boards, plastering up etc..
because i dont do them everyday it took us until 7pm, still ended up with a nice neat clean job

People dont want to beleve it because they couldnt do it themselves, in all honestly its just graft all day long, worth it though for the payout

People dont want to beleve it because they couldnt do it themselves, in all honestly its just graft all day long, worth it though for the payout

not at the rates mad_footie_lad is offering!!
Someones making a packet on the back of someone elses hard graft. Frankly I think a ton a day (what looks like a 12hr day too) for an electrician is taking the pi$$ for this.

Today I visited a jewellers in Leics City Centre to fix some display lighting. I then drove back home to Lutterworth and had lunch in front of the telly. This afternoon I fitted a replacement oven element and connected up a new boiler, both less than 1/4 mile from my house.

That's what I call a rather light day and I made £140. So although I'd love to take part in one of these one day rewires for the learning and to find out just how they're done, if anyone thinks I'm slogging my guts out for 12 hours for a ton they can think again. Especially when some fat cat somewhere is Lording it on my graft.

On decent homes work they rip out the kitchen and bathroom on day one, then you rewire on day two, then they come back to fit new kitchen, bathroom and tile.
try working with fat john...this joiner we do work for sometimes....then come in here saying theres nothing that can hold you up.....honestly, theres more life in a tramps vest...lol...

Last edited:
I've done rewires in a day too when I was subbing for Mears, didn't enjoy the job at all. Those guys were dog rough but obviously some do them to a high quality

Yes carpet and furniture, move it all to middle of room and work around it

Sedgy it would be nice to have one every weekend, however they dont come around like that

I took £850, other spark took over £500 And labourer just over £130, rest of cash went on materials

Couldof spent days doing it, but the more the days the less the profit

I did it once, two storey council terraced, 4 man crew. not pretty. The look on their faces when I got my tape and level out to fit a socket! did not get asked back, happily

Ive worked on some where theyve been done in a day, and been embarrassed by the state of it at the end! A perfectly safe job but shocking quality like people say they run cable with almost anything and the board looks like a birdsnest etc lol if your doing coucil work thyre dead easy once you know the runs

Don't forget council rewires are two sockets per room, one pendant, all fitted in minitrunking.

Perfectly doable in a day with 2/3 men.

Dont know who your council is but the ones ive contracted for insist on 4 sockets per room 6 in kitchen not including fcu to washer and fridge, extractors to kitchen bathroom smokes heat detectors and everything chased

All made good And plastered up, cable runs like they should be, its just doing your work in fast forward

DB very neat not birds nest as you say, im not going to lie i can see your point as ive seen these, but like i say clerk of works is **** hot and everything got to be tip top

It can and still will continue to be done whether you beleve it or not

I took £850 for the last one i did, not bad for 12 hours
£850 for a days graft is not to be sniffed at, and if you can work that fast, more power to you, I dont think I could.

Fastest I've done is 2 bed bungalow rewire with 3/4 sockets per room, all chased + BT's and TV points, me and a 3rd yr apprentice 4 days working 11 hours a day then me on my own for another 11 hr day. I made about £2,500-£3000 profit in those 5 days, so was pretty chuffed.

Never done any council work.
Rewiring a house a day and getting paid a ton to do it.....seriously? I'd want a grand a day.

I'm not having this at all. As said new building regs you should have extractors and smokes on top of a shower, cooker, up sockets. Down sockets, kit sockets, up lights, down lights and a consumer unit. 4 sockets in each living room 6 in kitchen. 1 in up hall one in down hall. First and second fixed in a day no way!!

These houses must have one socket per room. It takes me and apprentice 6 full days to do lived in requires. 5 for empty with carpets

It was common practice for council house rewires to take a day, whole estates were rewired using this time frame in the late 70's and 80's. Not saying that that everything was to to-days requirements, regarding min number of sockets per designated room and fans etc, it was more like replacing like for like, with a couple of added sockets in the kitchen!! ..lol!! And they were completed to a pretty high standard as well!! But then that's when being an electrician actually meant something!! lol!!

Still reckon it could be done in a day today, once you get into a system of working with 2 sparks and a mate.

Sod all that chasing though. When i first left the army, i was a mtae, doing house bashing in Bromley, and we rewired a few houses, chasing completely by hand. It kills your arms and wrists. Ive also done rewires on a housing project that had bricks that were meade from this black stuff, i think it contained iron filings. We had a chaser, but it didnt like it one bit, and we were forever changing the blades.
I later discovered the far more complex and interesting world of industrial electrics, and i enjoy it a lot more.

So how does the testing and write up figure in this? I can see how three blokes can do three days work in a day, but the testing can't be done until the circuits are in. To do all the tests and write up the results takes a fair bit of time surely?

so..... , who takes the faceplates off for the tiler and then refits them after? how long do you wait for the plaster to go off after 1st fix? all in a day? pull the other one.

So how does the testing and write up figure in this? I can see how three blokes can do three days work in a day, but the testing can't be done until the circuits are in. To do all the tests and write up the results takes a fair bit of time surely?

The write-up's, well those will probably be done down the pub!! Probably won't make much sense in the morning mind!! ...lol!!

My house is a 3 bed council house and last year they did a full rewire in 8 hours. Smokes, up ring, down ring, up lights, down lights, fan in bathroom and kitchen, 2x outside lights, boiler spur new wylex board all rcbo's. All chased out and run correctly. They use safety box's which enable them to fit the sockets/switchs before the chases get plastered at a later date. I also used to work for the company that did it, they worked in gangs of 4/5. 2 sparky's and 2 mates/apprentices. All the kit was ready in a box and they started bang on 8am. Worked like hell though 5 days a week. Defo can be done!!

Jay

These are the safety boxs that they used. The director of the firm I worked for invented these. We called them "Uzi box's"

WP_000097.jpgWP_000098.jpgWP_000099.jpgWP_000100.jpg

Putting these on made it easy and safe for the plasterer, tiler and decorater. The rewire team would do IR, Zs, Ze etc to make sure it was ok but not the paper work, then after the tiler, plasterer and decorater had been (2 weeks later) I would go in and I & T, fill in the EIC and remove the "Uzi box's" which was a pain in the arse because all the screws had to be cut down. Now I know your all gonna jump an my back because it should have been I & T before being put into service but this was the way it was done and neither the council or niceic or anyone else had a prob with it and being new to testing at the time, I didnt know different. They said if we tested it and did the EIC straight away, the plaserer or tiler etc could damage the cable/accessorie and it would have to be repaird and tested again any way. I must of tested over 300 of these council rewires over the years.

Jay

Regarding second fixing before plastering and tiling .

Ive just done one like this. Customer told me they have to wait 3 weeks for the spread. I said sod that! He will have to unscrew and rescrew any faults after that will be charged at an hourly rate to customer.

The worst thing was the place had just had a damp proof so all my boxes where deep as anything.

Once bonded back up after the course had been done, I had to provide longer screws at my own cost (wasnt happy at all). But once the skin goes on top of the bonding they will possibly have to buy longer screws again good luck to the plasterer. I hate them anyway. Always messing with cables etc.

If they don't know how to stop water getting in an screw a socket fascia back they aren't competent enough to be on site IMO.

Every time Ive done the first fix, left the cable nice and neat in the back box, not sticking out, then gone back after the plasterer, ive found all my back boxs and cable were filled with plaster (W**%£S), so I just smash the plaster out and tell the customer, they have to repair it once Ive fitted the socket.

But we had problems with kitchen fitters aswell, when the rewire was done, the bonding was connected to the gas and water, then, after the plasterer had been, the kitchen fitters would do there bit but they would dissconect the bonding so they could fit there units and not bother reconnecting it.

Or the gas meter had not been fit when the rewire had been done so the lads run the 10mm to were the meter was going but the gas man would not connect the bond after he fit the meter.

Jay

Last edited:
So if the inspect and test is done on a separate day then it's not a rewire in a day surely? You can't describe it as complete job when bits are left for someone else to do later.

Every time Ive done the first fix, left the cable nice and neat in the back box, not sticking out, then gone back after the plasterer, ive found all my back boxs and cable were filled with plaster (W**%£S), so I just smash the plaster out and tell the customer, they have to repair it once Ive fitted the socket. But we had problems with plumbers and kitchen fitters aswell, when the rewire was done, the bonding was connected to the gas and water, then, after the plasterer had been the kitchen fitters would do there bit but they would dissconect the bond to fit there units and not bother reconnecting it. Or the gas meter had not been fit when the rewire had been done so the lads run the 10mm to were the meter was going but the gas man would not connect the bond after he fit the meter.

Jay
yeah well they`v got no business disconnecting safety electrical connections....christ its even tagged as such....

The i&t was done the same day to make sure it was safe but no paper work was done until later when I went and did it all again. They could of done the paper work aswell but after all the other trades had to go in and mess with it all, it would not have been safe and the EIC would have been worthless. I guess they had a lot of problems doing it the right way so to speak and everyone concerned got together and decided this was the best way to do it, bearing in mind the houses were occupied.

Jay

yeah well they`v got no business disconnecting safety electrical connections....christ its even tagged as such....

I know this and thats why I used to invoice the company I worked for and they would inturn, invoice the client (Waites, Bullocks etc). I would put down an hour for reconnecting bonding and aslo charge them for any other snags I had to put right.

Jay

Every rewire I have done recentley has had a concrete lower flour or a percentage of concrete floor this is an absolute pain in the backside and again adds time to a rewire

Well my house like most council houses, is red brick, concrete floors down stairs and odviousley floorboards up stairs and falling to bits. The last rewire I did, had wooden floor boards up and down stairs but down stairs it also had about 2" of screed covering it. This stuff is like are lass..... Hard as nails.lol. Luckily, they also had a basement with the beams showing, so all my runs for the sockets etc were done without taking up the screed and floorbaords.

Jay

Jay

Dont know who your council is but the ones ive contracted for insist on 4 sockets per room 6 in kitchen not including fcu to washer and fridge, extractors to kitchen bathroom smokes heat detectors and everything chased

Ive done them for three London boroughs. No chasing, all trunking. Fitted smokes and fan spurs, and one spur and socket in kitchen,

No one because the tiler tiles around the surface boxes and trunking.

that might be acceptable down south, but up here int' north we have a bit more finesse. we even have grass in the back yard.

Must admit ive never seen a council go for surface boxes, must look really ****
i have. trunking through ceiling coving with gaps round it i could drive my van through. brittle patresses that shatter every time a hoover collides with them. ruff.

Yep, coving trunking used alot in bedsits were they cant run the cable through the floor or ceiling. They run the cable in this and then chase down the wall to each point. YT2 was used for the run to the lighting points. These rewires were done in 1/2 a day. 7
But as tel says the gaps in the capping was shocking!!!! Every one I inspected, I pulled it for this.
Not a pretty looking job, but does the job.

Jay

NAH - Not happening !!!!!!!!! I"ve heard boyz saying this but never seen it done
Sounds like a load of BULLS**IT

In my post code alone they rewired over 200 houses, each one done in a day. There were also over 200 done in Keighley.
I kid you not......
"Its dirty work but somebodies got to do it"!!!!

Jay

Reply to Requires in a day in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net