Discuss Retro style pendant lights and 3 plate wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

mattg4321

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Got a couple of fittings to put up for a customer soon. Wiring 3x 1mm T+E - 3 plated at ceiling light. No access to floor above. Customer is adamant they want these light fittings put up (or very similar).

Anybody got any clever ideas? To be honest I can't see any way this is going to work short of changing the plate on the ceiling to something similar but bigger/ bodging it with wages pushed into the ceiling void which clearly I'm not going to be doing.

http://www.lampsandlights.co.uk/images/zoom_ceiling-plate-small-single-cordgrip-metal-antique.jpg

Unfortunately cutting a box in isn't going to be an option as theres a 4x2 nogging above!

The wooden ceiling rose isn't going to give me any more space for connections?

Unfortunately cutting a box in isn't going to be an option as theres a 4x2 nogging above!

The wooden ceiling rose isn't going to give me any more space for connections?

If you drill the hole to 38mm, yeah.. You've got yourself a teeny tiny enclosure. Plus the depth of the flex outlet. Just 3 x 1 mm you got? If not galv loop in box

Last edited:
Why don't you just cut a hole in the ceiling/noggin large enough to stuff wago connectors up and then just mount the fitting over the top? If there is no access above it's not going to pose a problem is it? Sometimes you just got to do what you have to do.

Won't be just shoving the connections up into the void that's for sure. Proper lash up in my opinion! Bathroom above. What happens when it's refitted a few years down the line and the bodge is exposed!

Nogging was put there for the light fitting so cutting a hole out of it isn't a problem. The loop in box is a good idea. Lets hope the distance between screw holes is right!

Won't be just shoving the connections up into the void that's for sure. Proper lash up in my opinion! Bathroom above. What happens when it's refitted a few years down the line and the bodge is exposed!

Nogging was put there for the light fitting so cutting a hole out of it isn't a problem. The loop in box is a good idea. Lets hope the distance between screw holes is right!
If you are worried just crimp and heat shrink them. There ain't a sparky in the land who has not done similar if there is REALLY no alternative. If it is "discovered" down the line the next guy will think "oh yeah I can see why he did that". There are 1000's of similar fittings up and down the land, stop overthinking it.

Last edited:
Weakening the joist holding the ceiling up

How on earth is cutting a hole in a 4"x2" noggin going to weaken any joist?
A noggin and a joist are not the same thing! I very much doubt that it is a joist if it is only 4"x2" as joists are normally a damn sight bigger due to having a load bearing floor on them.

I realise I assumed that the noggin in question has been fitted purely for supporting the light, but what else would it likely be for at those dimensions?

That's why I asked if its a standard besa pattern (they usually are)

Reply to Retro style pendant lights and 3 plate wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net