Discuss Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

I issue appropriate certificates for the scope of the work completed. sometimes an installation certificate, sometimes a minor works certificate.
Section 610.4, and 610.6 pertain to the requirement for testing and inspection and certification of "minor works" as you call it.

So when you issue a minor works cert, you do not test the work you carried out? Therefore your previous statement that BS7671 requires all work to be tested it incorrect

Of course I test the work I certificate.

Have you read and digested section 610 yet ?

Just had a little chat and noted Gigsy is a Trainee so we are looking at gaining access to the Trainee forum once he gives us the details, can you take this into account with any further responses, he is doing this work in his own house as well so lets give him a little room here to learn his trade :)

Just had a little chat and noted Gigsy is a Trainee so we are looking at gaining access to the Trainee forum once he gives us the details, can you take this into account with any further responses, he is doing this work in his own house as well so lets give him a little room here to learn his trade :)

No problem. I will endeavour and persist with my explanations of BS7671 if Gigsy is interested.

Oh ok i stand corrected, just looked at the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, You do need to do earth continuity test, insulation resistance test, earth fault loop impedance test and polarity test. I am sorry for all previous comments. I will have the work tested by a skilled person upon completion.

So when you change a light you have to do an insulation resistance test? So you would have to remove all the light bulbs on the whole circuit and do the test, just cos u changed a light?

My bedtime, please be nice to each other :rolleyes: and if you have time Gigsy please fill your profile in for other members who may not venture into this thread :) :)

Oh ok i stand corrected, just looked at the Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate, You do need to do earth continuity test, insulation resistance test, earth fault loop impedance test and polarity test. I am sorry for all previous comments. I will have the work tested by a skilled person upon completion.

Also RCD tests where relevant.
I would suggest that if you will be bringing in a skilled person to test your work that you arrange this prior to carrying out any more work. Whoever is signing the certificate may wish to stipulate design and installation methods, such as connections to ring circuits, and wish to see the installed cables at first fix stage.

Thank you for taking time to read the section on testing and certification. Although BS7671 is not a statutory document, it can be referred to in a court of law, by insurers, and by solicitors during house sales etc. It is good sense to get all work properly tested and certificated as evidence of safety.

Just before I go, if your changing a light fitting you just need to confirm the voltage and the integrity of the earthing (Earth loop Impedance) and that the circuit has no obvious issues like an incorrect OCPD etc, if however you are extending, altering or wiring new then a full test of the circuit is required and any of your work has to meet BS7671 regardless of whether the rest of the circuit does.

So when you change a light you have to do an insulation resistance test? So you would have to remove all the light bulbs on the whole circuit and do the test, just cos u changed a light?

If changing a light fitting like for like then it is reasonably accepted you are not altering the circuit and therefore this testing is not required and neither is a certificate. This doesn't mean that no testing takes place ever in this instance though. Verification of a valid earth path while putting up a metal fitting for example.

If you are adding an extra light point into a circuit the regs asks that you:
Ascertain that the installation is in a safe condition to perform the alteration on and is suitable for the alteration, this includes earthing and bonding.
Ensure the work complies with the regulations
Inspect and test your work and produce a certificate.

Strictly, the work you are doing is the only part of the circuit that would need its test results recording on the test certificate. In practice values for the whole circuit are commonly recorded and are also acceptable. You have to, after all, verify that the existing installation is suitable for the alteration.

Also RCD tests where relevant.
I would suggest that if you will be bringing in a skilled person to test your work that you arrange this prior to carrying out any more work. Whoever is signing the certificate may wish to stipulate design and installation methods, such as connections to ring circuits, and wish to see the installed cables at first fix stage.

Thank you for taking time to read the section on testing and certification. Although BS7671 is not a statutory document, it can be referred to in a court of law, by insurers, and by solicitors during house sales etc. It is good sense to get all work properly tested and certificated as evidence of safety.

Thank you for your advice. I am doing a course with a company called Trades Gateway. You study at home using course material and online and have a tutor. I take tutor marked assessments after each module and after so many modules you do two weeks at college and take exams. I am due for my 1st two weeks at college starting Monday. 1st week is on health and safety and 2nd week is inspection and testing. So hopefully in 2 weeks time I will be able to test it myself if I pass the exam. I have a multi function tester, just gotta get it calibrated

Just before I go, if your changing a light fitting you just need to confirm the voltage and the integrity of the earthing (Earth loop Impedance) and that the circuit has no obvious issues like an incorrect OCPD etc, if however you are extending, altering or wiring new then a full test of the circuit is required and any of your work has to meet BS7671 regardless of whether the rest of the circuit does.

Thank you

My last thread was taken down due to copyright reasons, I think it was because I scanned a page from the wiring regs and posted it.

Can anyone tell me if this circuit design conforms to regs?

View attachment 34318
Are the 2 JBs MF? if not are they accessible?

In the thread that got deleted, didn't you say you were considering this option because the builders had been in and put down a tiled floor? If this is correct and the work is under the remit of building control, it may be prudent to check up on the certification requirements of LABC so that the home owner can get a completion certificate.

As for getting somebody else to test and sign off - good luck with that one!

Gigsy, you state that BS7671 isn't law, however, the Electricity at Work Regulations are law. Have a look at Regulation 4 of the EAW Regs - now it doesn't explicitly state that inspection and testing are required, however, if you think about it inspection and testing are absolutely required to ensure you comply with this regulation. Without inspection and testing how else are you able to prove that systems are safe etc?

Gigsy, you state that BS7671 isn't law, however, the Electricity at Work Regulations are law. Have a look at Regulation 4 of the EAW Regs - now it doesn't explicitly state that inspection and testing are required, however, if you think about it inspection and testing are absolutely required to ensure you comply with this regulation. Without inspection and testing how else are you able to prove that systems are safe etc?
As the title says Work, it does not apply to domestic situations.

As the title says Work, it does not apply to domestic situations.

So is there no legal requirement for electrical safety at home? Anything goes?

Reply to Spur from Ring Final Circuit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net