Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Summer house to house installation help! in the DIY Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Paul Keeton

Paul Keeton New EF Member

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice . I have a summer house in my garden that has the following setup.

50amp breaker from house consumer unit from this is 18m (3core) armoured cable. This is fixed externally to the house wall and goes underground for approx 2m. Inside the summer house is a consumer unit with
    1 x 40A 30mA RCD
    2 x MCBs (1 x 6A & 1 x 32A)
    The 32a is used for 5 two gang sockets radial installed. The 6a is for an LED light bar.

I’ve been told that the consumer unit in the house should be 32amp and that the breaker for the sockets needs to be on a 20amp breaker as the sockets are radial and not ring - does this sound right ?

Thanks
    Paul

2. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    1. the breaker in the house CU should be sized to suit the SWA. e.g. if the SWA is 6.0mm, (rated 47A) a 40A MCB is appropriate. if 10.0mm, then the 50A is correct.
    2. if the radial socket circuit in the summer house is wired in 2.5mm, then a 20A MCB is the right choice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

I wonder has the op wired it up him self and asking if he had done it correct.

4. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Top Poster Of Month

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    never jump to conclusions buzz. OP might have just bought the property, or had the installation done by a sparks. facts, man, facts. we need all to make the call.

5. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Hum .... Best get it checked over properly

Internet advice can't be trusted

6. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

All depends on cable sizes and installation methods, none of which we can verify, so a local electrician is the right call.

7. buzzlightyear

buzzlightyear still kicking sand, before pushing up daisies . Electrician's Arms

i might be judgemental on this post .but a lot of peaple are asking it is ok .so i qustion that .

8. Spoon

Spoon Trusted Advisor

You will never follow in the footsteps of @SparkyChick@SparkyChick & @westward10@westward10 with an attitude like that.... :):)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Who wants to

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. buzzlightyear

Its nice to be put on a high pedastool.but some one will knock you off .:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Pete999

Pete999 Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    None
    Watch out Buzz, nil spelling mistakes, could be all the banter has had some effect on your grasp of the English written word, just kidding Buzz.:tongue::bowing::okay: