Discuss SWA sheath used as main Earth in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Bonse

Hi guys

I recently installed a submain and fed it with 16mm 2 core SWA XLPE and used the sheath as an earth....

does anyone know the calculation to work out the equivalent conductor size ? i know it works out to be approx 35mm.

Hope that question makes sense.

Darren

Bonse iv got a PDF of SWA CPC values in box me your email addy and i ll send it to you :D
The equation is on there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
This link is a paper written by John Peckham, a well respected Chartered Engineer. It will give you a very good basic understanding on the subject.
The tables for both thermoplastic and thermosetting SWA cables will give more realistic results, without the need for any further calculations, that may be required by the other table posted here earlier....

I have personally been using these 2 tables for almost 4 years now, they are good to go... lol!!!

http://www.electriciansforums.net/a...an-we-use-armour-swa-cpc-using-armour-swa.pdf

I don’t know if it’s still possible but at one time you could specify high conductivity armour. One armour in say 4 or 5 would be copper. We used these a lot under M&Q regs. The copper would be just a tad bigger that the steel as it would flatten down in the gland. You would only get them if you went over 120mm cable.
I’ll say I’ve never run a separate CPC with a cable but with one proviso, on many large cable trays within a switch room I would run a 1x1/8” copper tape bolted all along the tray, this could be joined on to for any cable or enclosure.

One switch room I modified had two incoming feeds, one @550V via a 0.3” 3c PILCSWA, the other @440V via a 195mm 3+1/2c SWA (high conductivity) both boards shared the same main cable tray, so both linked via the earth tape. I never worried about earth paths in there.

Thanks everyone for the replies. ive only just managed to get back to my computer! will have to sort that damn phone out lol

Reply to SWA sheath used as main Earth in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net