Discuss switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyb2

kitchen switch

help, got a kitchen switch with a 2 core twin and earth and a single core pvc as well and light switch wont switch off, single core comes from dining room switch which works, and kitchen light is just a 1 way switch, got me snookered here.

Re: kitchen switch

Sounds like the switch needs replacing.
What does it feel like when you try to use it?

Have you just changed switch?

Last edited:

Is the single core a switch wire to the dining room light where you need to loop a feed off the switch feed of the twin & earth, i.e a 2g switch with the single core as L1 of one switch and the commons linked??

think it must go to a joint box but at the dining room there are 3 pairs twins and 1 single which have found out doesnt go to kitchen light, dining room switch is 2 gang, sorted out strappers for living room light, so one of the cores must b either sw/wire or live so having to bell everything out

posted a thread b4 but still problems so the scenario is a 1gang switch in the kitchen that is on all the time , there is a 2 core twin and a single pvc and back to back with this switch is a 2 gang 2 way switch for dining room light which is working and a 2 way living room light which aint working and in this back box there are 3 pairs of 2 cores and a single pvc, the dining room side is working ok and i have belled out the strappers 4 the living room light, so i have 3 cores left and i need to find which 1 is the live or switch wire for living room light as i have tried all combinations and no luck and find out why the back kitchen light is permantly on , any help in solving this problem would be much appreciated, thanks

that sounds like a 2 way using the single as the common strapper ,its sounds as though the wires are crossed , this is a prob to sort out when all the colours are the same and which 2 way wiring is used so , first you need to find out which is the supply switch off power and put each wire into a terminal block seperatly do this at each end where the 2 ways are , switch power back on and test to see which is live , once you have found the live connect that to the comon terminal of the light switch and connect the other 2 wires to L1 and L2 , then go to the other terminal block for the other switch and test to see which is live , when you find a live wire connect this to L1 of that switch ,go back to the first switch and then switch it on , go to the 2 switch you should have 2 wires in the terminal block test these and find which ones live , when you find it connect this to L2 , you should then be left with one wire which tests as dead , connect this to the common of the 2nd light switch and that should reinstate the 2 way , that is if it is a 2 way switching using the method ive described
hope this helps

i no which is the strappers 4 the two way living room light , but why is the kitchen light permantly on and also why is one of the cores in a terminal block and this is permantly live but nothing coming out the other end of the block, totally confusing

has the rose on the kitchen light been wired to include the switch drop? is this a new fault or has it been like this since someone played with it? have the owners tried to fit a new fitting, cocked it up and put the original back incorrectly?

no the lights are just twin and earths and the problem is the switches as new brass ones fitted and no notes of which cores go where so confusion, but cant be much as dining room light works, i no which are the living room strappers, the other living room switch is ok and kitchen light with 3 cores at the switch is on permantly, but its getting me in a tizz 2 nite

solved the switch problem and everybody is happy and i would like to thank everybody that gave suggestions and advice , thank you all.

srappers where mixed up and the connector block on the live threw me as well so located the switch wire and inserted into the connector block and bingo, all lights now working and everybody happy.

Reply to switches in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net