Discuss Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Well, Murdoch, forgive me for being a little obtuse here, but I can't help but feeling your "disagree" is a little "--- for tat", to be honest. Maybe you would be cool with one of your family living in a rental with no RCD protection, I certainly would not.

Well, Murdoch, forgive me for being a little obtuse here, but I can't help but feeling your "disagree" is a little "--- for tat", to be honest. Maybe you would be cool with one of your family living in a rental with no RCD protection, I certainly would not. Given your previous posts I would suggest you are arguing yourself up your own --- to be honest matey.

recently bought a flat to let. I was advised by the letting agent to get the electrics tested, although not a legal requirement. The test was carried out by their electrical contractor. He failed the test due to the fuse board not having an RCD fitted. The fuse board is the original board fitted in 2003 when the flats where built. There has been no mods or circuits added to the system and everything is working as it should. I paid £348.00 for the test and the RCD to be installed. I have since been told that the test should not have failed due to the lack of the RCD. Have I been stitched up.
Any comments gratefully recieved
WHAT IS THE TEST DATE ON THE CONSUMER UNIT AND NEXT TEST DATE !

First post on this site,

If this was a flat on a floor other than GF, code 3, if on GF, code 2 as it should have been installed to the 16yh edition. For the cost the spark in question could have fitted RCbo’s to the socket outlet circuits, carried out all retests and issued certs to cover the work
Really? How about if there are no RCBO's that will fit?

Nobody has mentioned that no RCD protection to circuits serving a room with a fixed bath or shower would be a Code 2. So I'm assuming the bathroom has a light and possibly a shower?
However, I agree that individual RCBOs would have been the best solution.

I need an income and I hope it will not happen to me.
The flat is on the second floor.
I thought the EICR lasts 5 years
An EICR does not 'last', there is simply a recommendation of the maximum period between inspections. Change of occupancy or particularly onerous tenants may mean an EICR should be carried out at reduced intervals.

Should not have failed due to lack of RCD protection.
Flat was converted in 2003, no requirement at that time for RCD protection, other than for sockets which could reasonably be expected to supply portable equipment outdoors.

Never mind anyone getting "called out" the point in question was the safety of the landlords Tenants. Would you be happy if one of your family was living in a rental with no RCD protection? I will assume a "no" to that one, you can always take another view of course.
I would be perfectly happy for any member of my family to live in a flat above ground level without RCD protection. Presumably all flats were electrical death traps until the fairly recent introduction of blanket RCD coverage? I don't think so.

Reply to Test failed due to missing RCD in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net