Discuss The great pat testing scam in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

funny how the noisy ones go quiet, and most of the ones complaining were in the trade and "i already know how to do a plug im not stupid" aaah how quick was that shown to be untrue :D

We were all 16 year olds at the time and you can imagine most of their attitudes......this is boring......cant we do something else etc.

A lot did drop out after 2 weeks or so, and we were day release!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Its so common. I charge £2.00/appliance because I hate it but still have plenty of customers - we have an honest approach - test when required - and that can mean extending test periods if we have data to suggest frequency of use - and we repair at the time of test where required. I have seen companies just sticker everything and it makes me sick.

It will take an MP's relative to be injured before they tighten it up like Part P. At the moment anyone with a spare £200 can attend a bogus course and go off supposedly competent.

Hi Burnt Fingers,

Yes I believe you are right. It probably will take some thing like the death of an MPs relative to tighten it up. Isnt that how Part P started?
Best wishes
Rex

Part P: I think - I might be wrong, originally was brought in to try and prevent kitchen fitters from running rings (or more likely radials and spur spurs) by shortest distance - you know, those diagonnal wild --- runs you see in kitchens and extensions.

This was shortly after the daughter of an MP (I think) was killed after trying to drill a hole in her kitchen a good way away from sockets.

I might be wrong like I say, but that story has stuck with me. I kinda hung up my sidecutters at Part P until now - most of part P is just good practice really - they should have just regulated kitchen fitters.

It will take an MP's relative to be injured before they tighten it up like Part P. At the moment anyone with a spare £200 can attend a bogus course and go off supposedly competent.

Sounds like Part P. Part P didn't tighten up anything apart from a tax loophole. I have seen to many BS 7671 non compliant installations done with part P notification to realise the previous government was part of the if you can't beat them join them culture and created a scam to remove money from hard working electricians pockets

What PAT testing needs is for a duty holder or two to be given the maximum sentence which I believe is £20,000 and/or 6months in one of the HM hotels for failing to provide the proper duty of care to their employees and allowing someone to be seriously injured

Hi UNG,

I think you are right. There does seem to be a money culture only and as you say, it is really down to how it is policed. Some very good points and well put.

Best wishes,

Rex

Sounds like Part P. Part P didn't tighten up anything apart from a tax loophole. I have seen to many BS 7671 non compliant installations done with part P notification to realise the previous government was part of the if you can't beat them join them culture and created a scam to remove money from hard working electricians pockets

What PAT testing needs is for a duty holder or two to be given the maximum sentence which I believe is £20,000 and/or 6months in one of the HM hotels for failing to provide the proper duty of care to their employees and allowing someone to be seriously injured

" [FONT=&quot]The operator of the Docklands Light Railway (DLR) must pay nearly £500,000 in fine and costs after a
member of the public fell on the track and was crushed to death by a train.[/FONT]"

I see about 4-6 stories a week like this, highest fines I've seen for injory/death is £1million pounds, and prison sentences inline with manslaughter/murder.

This is since the Corporate Manslaughter / Corporate Homicide came into Act and would be the same for deaths caused due to negligent PAT testing.

These 50p a test boys will find themselves coming unstuck soon, and it won't be the clients being fined, it will be the PAT companies doing the work. Directors & Engineers.

At least Im confident I won't be finding my way there....... not only that, the additional cost in complying, and making sure I won't get into hot water causes increase in the cost of PAT testing.

Under old laws, The fines were £5,000 per offence (nothing states that 4 offences are the max, i.e. £20,000. I have spoken directly with magistrate and crown courts in reference to this a couple of years ago, but its all changed now)

Touch wood, I haven't been called in front of a Coroners Court, but its something we all have to be prepared to do, because we can all end up there, all it needs is for a death in a clients site, our fault or not. And if it was a fault on one of our systems of work, we have to prove everything was done right.

Last edited by a moderator:
"
These 50p a test boys will find themselves coming unstuck soon, and it won't be the clients being fined, it will be the PAT companies doing the work. Directors & Engineers.

While the PAT company may be liable the client would IMO be liable also for placing an order for the sub standard work and not checking it is up to the required standard

I agree that they should be partly held responsible, but by rights if they can prove that they thought they were hiring a competent, insured outside company to handle this aspect of their health and safety then it's the pat company that us responsible.

After all, if u agree to test and inspect 120,000 appliances for a big company or council at 50p a test then that pat company surely must be competent and no judge would see differently.

Just the fact that a company advertised as a pat provider demonstrates fraudulent intent if the end result is that Pat testing is carried out correctly.

Hawkesworth protect themselves by ensuring that every pat test engineer are "self-employed" but they will come unstuck because the definition of self employed is that u can accept or refuse work whenever u choose an that u don't just work for one employer.

Hawkesworth tells u that you're working 6 days a week, and doesn't really help u understand all of the implications of being self-employed.

If he ever comes under scrutiny by the taxman or the work of "his" engineers ever comes to light, all of his hard work and lovely profit will be for nothing.

I agree that they should be partly held responsible, but by rights if they can prove that they thought they were hiring a competent, insured outside company to handle this aspect of their health and safety then it's the pat company that us responsible.

After all, if u agree to test and inspect 120,000 appliances for a big company or council at 50p a test then that pat company surely must be competent and no judge would see differently.

I think if some one was letting a £60,000 contract then I assume they would undertake "Due Diligence" on the company being employed to undertake that work. At 50p per appliance I would certainly be wary if I was letting a contract, even with the current economic situation you don't hear of the pound shops discounting to 50p for some of the tat they sell

I have always been told ignorance is no defence

Just the fact that a company advertised as a pat provider demonstrates fraudulent intent if the end result is that Pat testing is carried out correctly.

Again this is an area dicussed quite a lot on this forum with the "Visual Check" being accepted as the lowest form of PAT test when no actual testing takes place

Hawkesworth protect themselves by ensuring that every pat test engineer are "self-employed" but they will come unstuck because the definition of self employed is that u can accept or refuse work whenever u choose an that u don't just work for one employer.

Hawkesworth tells u that you're working 6 days a week, and doesn't really help u understand all of the implications of being self-employed.

If he ever comes under scrutiny by the taxman or the work of "his" engineers ever comes to light, all of his hard work and lovely profit will be for nothing.

The tax investigation team are only a phone call away!

Just to clarify, in case a lynch mob is on it's way, my reference to "bogus courses" was exclusive of the C&G - I referred to the type that have eight people being taught at £200 a go, one day, ten questions (you can ask for help) and discount PAT testers on the way out.

Sorry if any C&G Holders were offended, was not meant to ..

Hi Burnt Fingers,

Thank you for your comments and I am not offended by what you have said. I believe the important thing is that the person who does the testing does it correctly and ensures safety. I have taught the 2377 course at college, as well as the 2391 and the certificates that City and Guilds supply, in my opinion, are of value.
When someone has passed a course and an exam, it is only when they operate in the 'wide world' that the truth emerges. The people can be seduced by the money and pressured in to doing things that are not correct and are 'short cuts' which can result in the tested products not being tested correctly. The time versus the number of items tested is normally one pressure as well as the competition offered by those who do not test correctly and have been referred to as 'label stickers'.
My advice is not to join the label stickers club and to try to charge correctly for the work you do. I know its tough but at least you can sleep at night and hopefully the good guys will win.
Best wishes,
Rex

I do some PAT testing , not a lot, and try to do it right. One day I timed myself for 1 hour, proper test, fill in label, enter details on report sheet. I did 12 appliances. Based on a sensible hourly rate of £20 - £25, that equates at £2 per item approx. Anyone doing it at for 50p to 70p per item is either not doing it properly or has a very cheap lifestyle.

Hi wirepuller,

You are quite right about your comment. Its right to do a thorugh job and earn a living. When it goes wrong is where people find out the fasct that has been no savings doing it 'on the cheap and missing out some bits'.
As I said I hope we keep the job right and keep the trade.
Best wishes
Rex

I work as a mobile Dj and before looking into PAT Testing the guy I used had one of these 'Supermarket Type' guns to provide the stickers, however it only had on it the date of the test and an item id number, no initials or any other info, i'm sure this wouldn't meet the legal requirements. To his credit he did actually test each bit of my equipment,and failed a couple of extension leads and changed some fuses, but maybe it was because I was standing in the same room making him a cuppa. Anyway only probably took 90 mins for I think was £90-£95. He was telling me about a large job he had been on in Bolton for several days and I wonder out of sight if he would just label equipment without testing......what I want to know is how do these Label only cowboys get on when it comes to producing the paperwork. My test sheets all show the readings of each test result.....so do they make them up?

Reply to The great pat testing scam in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net