Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. angel While you're here, would you mind checking out our Electrician's Insurance section to see if we could save you a few quid? - Specifically our Van Insurance Deals and Public Liability Insurance Deals. Thanks for supporting the forum! angel

5% Discount from Electrical2Go.co.uk for ALL members! - Click Here

Discuss Thoughts on new builds........ in the Electrical Forum area at ElectrciansForums.co.uk.

Please make sure you checkout our forum sponsors, many do discounts for members and, they keep the forum free to use.
  1. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    Been to quote for some work today and the house is a new build.
    Built by Linden Homes. At first glance looks good but when you stop and look a little closer you see several of the walls inside are not straight that there are big curves and deviations in them. when you look down on the accessories, there is gaps big enough to slide a 50p down behind in the middle due to the curvature... put a spirit level on wall to check for a tv bracket and on one wall i can put my little finger behind the level at one end as the wall is so warped.
    They installed aerial points in lounge and master bedroom but told them cable is in attic, for you to connect an aerial... Linden dont supply one, but the best bit is that due to being in a low enclosed area surrounded by excavated mounds and other buildings, the signal is so poor everybody is putting up sky dishes but some houses cant get a line of sight, so no sky either!
    Linden dont lay the back gardens anymore it seems, left them a pile of slabs and said for you to decide how you want it.
    the most damming from my view is an outside tap, which is directly outside behind sockets, thought to myself a bit iffy... took socket off wall and behind the plastic back box in the plasterboard wall I can see the joint and pipe, so in the event of a leak or dodgy joint the water will be spraying into the back of the socket!
    proves my point, never buy a new build house....
    whats the worst thing you have seen on a new build?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. ruston

ruston Trusted Advisor

Widows fitted with expanding foam . Fell out when door was slammed shut . No fixings at all to building fabric.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    Sounds about right. I've been on new build sites around London for the last 7 years. All the contractors care about is get it done as soon as possible. "Qualifications? Who cares just make it work."
    I was first fixing new build flats before I was qualified. I had been working with another unqualified electrician for around 4 months and then thrown in the flats on my own. I had a decent supervisor who would keep an eye on me but the main contractor couldn't care less as long as I was giving them 3 flats a week he couldn't care less about how neat it was.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Vortigern

Vortigern Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    F.H. Electrical
    Yeh working on them I made a note to self ...never buy a new build...they are crap construction. Shower wall disintegrated no primary seal under secondary seal. Plasterboard literally taped together around shower. One screw per hinge on doors. Absolutely disgraceful. Working as contractor is worse. You finish the job tiler comes in takes off all the sockets you get to come back and put them on for free. Bad plans mean you put sockets on wall where told, oh sorry kitchen sink is going there, you get to come back and re-locate for free. And on and on it goes snagging 'til pension time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  5. Gavin John Hyde

Gavin John Hyde Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Sulis Electrical Services Ltd
    I dont think they did the snagging on this house... lots of bits I would never have passed if inspecting it.

6. Murdoch

Murdoch Electrician's Arms

Avoid like the plague ............. anyway, I would be too expensive for that type of work ..................... all builders want are unskilled, cheap labour

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. Joshua

Joshua |Ω|#e5| Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Steel Electrical Contractors
    If it was just builders we had to worry about we'd be ok, it's the multimillion pound new home companies that are the problem. They like to give out an impression of good health and safety but on site they wouldn't be able to tell a safe install from a death trap.

• Agree Agree x 4
  8. telectrix

telectrix Scouser and Proud of It Trusted Advisor

Business Name:
    Telectrix
    new build?????

upload_2018-7-9_21-0-15.jpeg

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. SWD

SWD Gender neutral Electrician's Arms

Depends, as there is a difference between a £250k new build and a £10M new build.

10. Leesparkykent

Leesparkykent You Rock Gmes Staff Member Trusted Advisor

I was on a newbuild last year where the sole plates of the stud walls hadn't been fixed before boarding and you could push the walls and see them move :D

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Dave OCD

Dave OCD Electrician's Arms

Business Name:
    Hendry Electrical Services
    Just 1st fixed an annexe [the size of a 3 bed semi] and all the stud work has no cross noggins, asked about it for wiring and was told not needed. :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Andy78

Andy78 Trusted Advisor

Was just chatting to a fellow sparks tonight. Him and his apprentice are bashing out 2 x 3 bed first fixes a day. Scary.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. spinlondon

spinlondon Trusted Advisor

I must be really slow.
    Had trouble knocking out a 3 bed flat in 6 days last time I did new builds. That was me and another Sparx working together.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

I do a few new builds each year, but these are more one off private new builds and all done to a really good standard.

The big developments are just getting thrown up with the cheapest and quickest ways possible. Oddly they get are sold at the top end of the local market as well, it's not something I'd consider buying at all.

• Agree Agree x 4
  15. 123

123 Electrician's Arms

Echo that totally. I do a few new builds each year, but they are one off jobs each time. My price and my standards are far higher than what the big developments around here are after.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1