Discuss Upgrading my garage supply. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Asking questions like why and how many sockets do you need isn't helpful.
Stating the obvious like you will only have 13amp supply isn't helpful, all were stated in my original question.

Both seem like questions or statement I would put... That's not getting at you, that's me trying to understand the total installation you are thinking of. You would be surprised at the amount of posts that don't give full information at the beginning and when they tell you what they are fully planning it's against regs or unsafe.

I don't see why everyone is adding to this thread. The OP is just going to go ahead and do what he wants anyway regardless of what is said or advised on here.

Top tip, when buying a new build specify that you want your garage fed directly from the CU on its own dedicated circuit which must be designed and installed by a qualified electrician, not Bob the builder.

no use giving good advice on this thread, i got 2 dislikes for giving good advice. so, OP.

showing----.gif

I don't want an ugly CU in my kitchen.

shop around. you should be able to find a pretty one.
Sarcastic, not helpful. hence dislike.
the ideal solution, as has been said before, is to spend some cash, do some digging, do it right. a decent sized SWA from CU, suitably protected, not on RCD (unless it's TT). then a sub-main ( RCD and 2 or 3 MCBs) then Bob's your gender neutral aunt.
Already mentioned and discounted due to work involved, not helpful.
Hence dislike.

Its a longer thread than it should be OP, grant you that. Reading your first post, that is a typical way of supplying a garage, albeit with a couple of slack things that could easily be rectified. So I think you'll be a hiding to nothing to suggest the original installer has done things incorrectly and should install new. I get the feeling, you had hoped we'd all agree that the builders of your property had installed the supply incorrectly, and you could gain some evidence for your cause to have an upgrade FOC?

As regards, your new additions, you can add as many sockets and lights as you want, the supply is limited by the 13amp fuse in your FCU in house, as been said countless times.

Unless you intend to run high load equipment in your garage, jig welders, hot tubs etc, I can't see it being a problem.

The 1.5mm swa cable has a ccc of 22A (Ref method D buried in ground/ducting), you could re supply that from the inside of your house, if limitation of 13A, is an issue for you? It seems you have been given various pieces of good advice, but not what you want to hear.

Why not get some quotations, and discuss with a competent electrician.

Last edited:
Deleted, don't want to add fuel to the fire.

Its a longer thread than it should be OP, grant you that. Reading your first post, that is a typical way of supplying a garage, albeit with a couple of slack things that could easily be rectified. So I think you'll be a hiding to nothing to suggest the original installer has done things incorrectly and should install new. I get the feeling, you had hoped we'd all agree that the builders of your property had installed the supply incorrectly, and you could gain some evidence for your cause to have an upgrade FOC?

As regards, your new additions, you can add as many sockets and lights as you want, the supply is limited by the 13amp fuse in your FCU in house, as been said countless times.

Unless you intend to run high load equipment in your garage, jig welders, hot tubs etc, I can't see it being a problem.

The 1.5mm swa cable has a ccc of 22A (Ref method D buried in ground/ducting), you could re supply that from the inside of your house, if limitation of 13A, is an issue for you? It seems you have been given various pieces of good advice, but not what you want to hear.

Why not get some quotations, and discuss with a competent electrician.
Midwest, where you you at the start?
An answer like this is all that I really wanted.
I was looking for the builder to give me anything in the way of an upgrade.
You may find this hard to believe but I am a sparks, started life as a Mining Electrician many moons ago. Got my qualifications through college for a ONC & HNC in mining electrical engineering.
Certainly qualifies me to be called an Electrician.
Always been in the industrial environment, never done any domestic work other than my own and never done any 13th edition up to 17th edition as never needed.
I suspected all along that the SWA should be earthed, which its not but I'm not familiar with earthing regs as they stand now. I just wanted confirmation that it was either compliant or not so I can get the builder to correct it.
I did find it odd that they don't provide DP isolation for supplies leaving the building so again wanted to know if compliant or not so I could get it corrected.
After that I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by fitting a CU in the garage. I fully understand fusing and discrimination so I thought dropping from a 13a to a 6 &10a was an upgrade giving discrimination at the garage CU.
Unfortunately far to many people seem to want to come down on you with their "I know what I'm on about" attitude and treat you like a pleb.
Lets be fair its a DIY section, why have it if they are just going to say get a competent electrician to check it out every time?

See Appendix 15 BS7671 regarding Ring Final Circuits, with specific reference to SPURS
i thought you were an ARSENAL fan.

I suspected all along that the SWA should be earthed, which its not but I'm not familiar with earthing regs as they stand now. I just wanted confirmation that it was either compliant or not so I can get the builder to correct it.
I did find it odd that they don't provide DP isolation for supplies leaving the building so again wanted to know if compliant or not so I could get it corrected.

I fully understand fusing and discrimination so I thought dropping from a 13a to a 6 &10a was an upgrade giving discrimination at the garage CU.

To be fair OP, these questions have been answered before, I haven't bought anything new to the party. Adding 6 & 10A mcb/CU after a 13A FCU, is just wasting your time & money.

If you are a competent electrician, you could rectify those errors yourself, at least you'll know its been done.

i thought you were an ARSENAL fan.
I aint a fan of any soft Soccer clubs, Tel you should know that, us Southern Softies prefer a Man's game RUGBY FOOTBALL. Tin hat on already whilst typing, ready for the abuse I expect to get, from the fans of Poncy Association Football.

If you want a CU in the garage then how about getting a garage CU without an RCD fitted. Like I said in #post 39

Midwest, where you you at the start?
An answer like this is all that I really wanted.
I was looking for the builder to give me anything in the way of an upgrade.
You may find this hard to believe but I am a sparks, started life as a Mining Electrician many moons ago. Got my qualifications through college for a ONC & HNC in mining electrical engineering.
Certainly qualifies me to be called an Electrician.
Always been in the industrial environment, never done any domestic work other than my own and never done any 13th edition up to 17th edition as never needed.
After that I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong by fitting a CU in the garage. I fully understand fusing and discrimination so I thought dropping from a 13a to a 6 &10a was an upgrade giving discrimination at the garage CU.
Unfortunately far to many people seem to want to come down on you with their "I know what I'm on about" attitude and treat you like a pleb.
Lets be fair its a DIY section, why have it if they are just going to say get a competent electrician to check it out every time?
Perhaps it's because many of the questions posted by DIY people are far to complicated and to dangerous to attempted by a DIYer.
Of course there will be certain minor jobs that we can help a DIYer with, but in all honesty, I personally wouldn't want to try and explain, how to attempt some electrical work that requires testing, notification, only to be hauled over the coals by some smart --- Legal Eagle how I told Mr so and so how to do such and such, after Mr DIY burnt his bloody house down, that's why I tell them to get someone qualified and experienced in to do the work.

Perhaps it's because many of the questions posted by DIY people are far to complicated and to dangerous to attempted by a DIYer.
Of course there will be certain minor jobs that we can help a DIYer with, but in all honesty, I personally wouldn't want to try and explain, how to attempt some electrical work that requires testing, notification, only to be hauled over the coals by some smart --- Legal Eagle how I told Mr so and so how to do such and such, after Mr DIY burnt his bloody house down, that's why I tell them to get someone qualified and experienced in to do the work.
Deleted

Mr_Freeze, I checked your profile and noted you had an HNC , so with that information I assumed you had some knowledge of basic Electrical Installations, yet you still managed to tick people off with your critiques and cutting replies.
People who have answered you are doing it out of a courtesy, to a fellow Sparks, is this attitude a natural thing or do you have to practice it? I for one will be ignoring anything you post in the future. I wish you and your's a happy Christmas and a prosperous new year.

Reply to Upgrading my garage supply. in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net