Discuss Voltage Optimisation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wiggly

Guys,
As every one is quieter on PV we are looking at this type of product voltage optimisers.
We have 3 good SELECT approved sparkys and i dont want to lose any of them if we can sell this product through our client bank my understanding this is a 10 percent saving on electricity.
is any one installing what products are you using and what is a typical install time.

An idea of prices and pay back would be good (pmed of course).
Thanks with your responses.

wiggly

there have been threads about this in the past. The general opinion (if i remember correctly) was that they are rubbish, as they can only take a certain loadf beofe they drop out of use, so for most houses they are not worth it.

there have been threads about this in the past. The general opinion (if i remember correctly) was that they are rubbish, as they can only take a certain loadf beofe they drop out of use, so for most houses they are not worth it.

what is your experience with the voltis unit??

I would have thought that 60A before it goes into bypass would be ample for a domestic install, however some units do go into bypass at 20A, however these units are only connected into dedicated circuits, so do seem a little pointless.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ That's the biggest problem with Voltage Optimisation: worthless opinions from people who've never used them.

My Voltis has saved me around 7-8%. Only fitted it to see if they work. As far as I'm concerned, it does.

To be honest i'm very skeptical of post from people advocating a snake oil product that according to the law of physics should not be able to work, especially when 50% of that posters pedigree is on the subject.

Until there is a proper scientific study done on them, I'm still very much in the camp of ...............baaa humbug.

I feel that as one post pointed out, people that get these things make a conscious effort in other areas also to limit their electrical usage, and when they do turn the stat down a degree or 2, fit low wattage lights, insulate etc etc, they tend to think wow this machine really works, and then declare it's a winner ................I've yet to be convinced

^ That's the biggest problem with Voltage Optimisation: worthless opinions from people who've never used them.

My Voltis has saved me around 7-8%. Only fitted it to see if they work. As far as I'm concerned, it does.

There you go, some real figures, not just a theory as to why they don't work.

We all know airplanes can fly, but if the Wright bros had not persisted because they thought it would work, we might all just have the theory that it is not possible.

Like I said, I fitted one to try it out. I was sceptical. It cost me nothing. I have no vested interest. I fitted it purely to see if it works. I have made no other changes to my consumption patterns (it's increased if anything). As far as I'm concerned it works. Of course, I'm sure that won't stop any of the nay-sayers debunking them, whether they've used one or not. Nor do I care.

Well to be honest ES though the Wright brothers probably knew quite a bit about Bikes, they knew very little about the science of flying and that is a proven science, so we know how they did it.

Physics also tell use that if you drop the voltage on a resistive load it will take longer to achieve what it is meant to do ..........so therefore your going to use more time to achieve you goal, and therefore increase your usage.

Once this as been dis proven to me then I'll accept it.

Guys,
Thanks for the responses so far.
Julian, I am interested in the fact that you have made the savings.
As stated I want to retain all the staff we have so if this is a product that we can save people money and earn a bit to pay wages it could be quite good especially if you could do a couple a day. And an in expensive sell to a customer thats why im try to gauge rough prices.
regards
wiggly

Like I said, I fitted one to try it out. I was sceptical. It cost me nothing. I have no vested interest. I fitted it purely to see if it works. I have made no other changes to my consumption patterns (it's increased if anything). As far as I'm concerned it works. Of course, I'm sure that won't stop any of the nay-sayers debunking them, whether they've used one or not. Nor do I care.

Have noticed any negative effects since using it?

Physics also tell use that if you drop the voltage on a resistive load it will take longer to achieve what it is meant to do ..........so therefore your going to use more time to achieve you goal, and therefore increase your usage.

Of course that would be correct, for a heating element, but for many other electrical items they do not need 253V, they work more efficiently at a slightly lower voltage.
My car will go 130MPH, and of course, if I drove that fast I would get everywhere sooner, but it would cost me more in fuel, and my engine would not last so long.

I get the impression that no proof will be proof enough for some people. I don't think anyone has ever claimed these things work on (thermostatically controlled) resistive loads, bacause they obviously don't. Nor do they increase consumption in such circumstances. Less power for more time is roughly equal to more power for less time (ignoring thermal losses on me kettle of course)

Reply to Voltage Optimisation in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net