Discuss Voltage still present with MCB off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dannyspark

Hi All,

Currently undertaking a rewire of a kitchen and when splicing the new light circuit to the old I inadvertently tripped the front end RCD. I was perplexed as I had proved circuit dead first.
However when testing I found that the circuit still had a reading of 1 volt.

The property is a maisonette with two light circuits. The other circuit was still live. It was late this evening so no chance to do any further tests, so was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea as to what this might be. Have not come across this before with a 1 volt reading.

I am changing the board on this property after the kitchen has been completed (customer in a rush for xmas) and found a low IR of 0.16M on a global test of the board. Would this cause 1 volt to appear?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dan

Dan

do you mean the MCB only was off.

If so, all the neutrals are still connected together ..... plus think about how an RCD works. did you touch the N to E ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes only the MCB and it happened whilst I was cutting some wire so yes it could've been that I suppose. So do you think the 1 volt was a bit of a red herring then and I'm looking into it more than I should?

Yes only the MCB and it happened whilst I was cutting some wire so yes it could've been that I suppose. So do you think the 1 volt was a bit of a red herring then and I'm looking into it more than I should?

You can't leave N and E connected then go cutting through the cable! Obviously this will short N-E and trip the RCD. You really need to ISOLATE any circuit then prove dead before commencing work!!!

Thank you everyone for your responses. I figured that was what I had done but the 1 volt issue confused me.

On another note, I have been thinking of leaving this forum because of the amount of negative attitudes that are on here, I don't post very often because of this reason and the comments above have helped me make my mind up.

Goodbye all.

Dannyspark.

Grow the skin of a rhino, read what is behind comments & use them my friend, do not let them "down tread " you.

Let them wash over you, through you, and then stare them in the face unblinking & wide eyed.

Do not stop asking!

- - - Updated - - -

Danny come back.

Everyones here to offer advice and you choose whether to listen and take it in or ignore and go away, we're all learning new things every day and anyone who says they know everything is very wrong, Danny just keep asking questions and reading books and take the good advice on board and learn from your mistakes

Hi All,

Currently undertaking a rewire of a kitchen and when splicing the new light circuit to the old I inadvertently tripped the front end RCD. I was perplexed as I had proved circuit dead first.
However when testing I found that the circuit still had a reading of 1 volt.

The property is a maisonette with two light circuits. The other circuit was still live. It was late this evening so no chance to do any further tests, so was just wondering if anyone had a rough idea as to what this might be. Have not come across this before with a 1 volt reading.

I am changing the board on this property after the kitchen has been completed (customer in a rush for xmas) and found a low IR of 0.16M on a global test of the board. Would this cause 1 volt to appear?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Dan

Who did the electrics in the kitchen?

Thought I might as well go out with a bang!

Kiers1970 you are a ****!

Dont let any negative comments get to you Danny. I get the feeling theres a few long running members who get bored seeing the same questions pop up and instinctively respond with a negative comment. Theres also lots of long running members who have given me invaluable advice, so I wouldn't give up just yet, otherwise its just you who ends up losing out.

I kind of like it here :smile5:

ps.. no real need for swearing though:nono:

Reply to Voltage still present with MCB off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net