Discuss What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

i know the feeling.....
when you dont want to turn round and look caus you know the boy is on his phone....
its like a lad that comes out with us..
he`s a lovely lad is Rory.....but if he isn`t on his phone texting for more than 2 mins its a miracle...
i even witnessed the lad trying to pull rods through with one hand....whilst attempting to text with the other this one time....told him to put the phone down and pay attention....which he did bless him....
but for christs sake...

Seriously Glen, had this kid been employed by me he would have got one warning to leave his phone in his pocket and if he didn't comply I would have smashed in with a hammer - even if it was in his ear at the time!!

you and me both kid.

why the government only gives apprenticeships to kids is beyond me. i know if i'd have come into this trade fresh out of school, i'd have bowed out before my first year was up. i was having too much fun partying.

but as an adult - well, i'd have grasped it with both hands and i would have appreciated every minute of it.
well it were pubs n clubs with me....and everything that went with it...
i was a rite little shyt....
now, i didn`t start to grow up until about 22-24 ish...as you can tell its still in progress is that one....
its just this last year since i kicked the booze that i have finally settled down and started to get my life back....

Seriously Glen, had this kid been employed by me he would have got one warning to leave his phone in his pocket and if he didn't comply I would have smashed in with a hammer - even if it was in his ear at the time!!
hmm...
he`s an amature boxer is Rory......but he`s a really nice lad....
he often asks me questions about this n that.....like (R1 R2) & Ze....as in when to use measured for formfilling and when a nominal is used.....stuff like that....allsorts really...
now, i like this as it shows a bit of gumption.....

that one straight down the middle - the one who's hand's going for a wander - i think she's giving me a bit of a twitch-on.

19938d1374704316-what-do-i-need-legally-start-working-electrician-clones.gif

well it were pubs n clubs with me....and everything that went with it...
i was a rite little shyt....
now, i didn`t start to grow up until about 22-24 ish...as you can tell its still in progress is that one....
its just this last year since i kicked the booze that i have finally settled down and started to get my life back....

When I was serving my apprenticeship which was 6 years long in engineering , I somehow managed to play in a band most nights ( average 25 nights per month) and work the Waltzer & Dodgems on the fairground (I remember Tidyboiler's family's rides coming to the Newcastle Town Moor long before I knew her) during the summer and STILL manage to get to work. Maybe that's why I'm so knackered now??

When I was serving my apprenticeship which was 6 years long in engineering , I somehow managed to play in a band most nights ( average 25 nights per month) and work the Waltzer & Dodgems on the fairground (I remember Tidyboiler's family's rides coming to the Newcastle Town Moor long before I knew her) during the summer and STILL manage to get to work. Maybe that's why I'm so knackered now??

you weren't the one with the ponytail, hanging off the back of the dodgems, trying to cop-off with the schoolies were you?

you weren't the one with the ponytail, hanging off the back of the dodgems, trying to cop-off with the schoolies were you?

Nope .... I was the one with the greasy quiff, sideburns, black leather jacket T-shirt with the Stars & Stripes on the front, blue drainpipe jeans with skull & crossbones belt buckle and winkle picker boots, and when I wasn't hanging off the back of the dodgem cars, I was spinning the cars on the Waltzer.

I still have the jacket and boots.

lol...
funnily enough i used to live in a small village about 20 miles outside shrewsbury.....that was from 1990-1993 ish...there were some showmen that used to set up....it was more of a hilliday for David as he didn`t get any real money out of it...
David ran a dodgem track, some juveniles, various sideshows/amusements and a waltzer.....i used to work the waltzer....putting up and taking down, spinning cars and taking fares.....
it was all a good laugh.....

Ok .. you probably know that I'm retired and for quite a while I'vce been helping my builder mate with a house that he's rebuilt for himself.

He was originally going to do EVERYTHING himself - including the electrics - because "Aahh kanaa hoo t' dey it an' aave got me tools". Well, his tools consist of a pair of side cutters and a couple of screwdrivers that have seen better days, a £7-99 multimeter from Maplins that he doesn't know how to use or what it's for and a Martindale plug-in tester with 3 neon lights that tell him the socket's ok.

Anyway, I ended-up doing it for several reasons, but after the first fix he was itching to "help" with the second fix, so I let him fit a couple of sockets. Then I inspected them. BOTH had slack terminal screws (because of his knackered screwdriver) and one had a polarity reversal because he says "it doesn't matter - it still grafts" (works)

This is a bloke who has been doing leccy work in his customers' houses (extra sockets etc.) while there fitting new windows etc. for them !!

The job is now finished (just) and I was showing him the testing bit with my MFT and it was completely over his head, BUT he's now come to accept and admit that it's a Hell of a lot more involved that he thought for a good few years, and now realises just how dangerous his work has been. So, hopefully there's a lesson learned there.

I've done all the heating/plumbing/gas and alarm work too (Yes, I'm capable, competent and qualified) and he wanted to get involved in that too - until I told him a few facts of life regarding gas work & regs ..... ;)

I for once can admit that until doing this level 2, thought the same. I have heard of a few TVs getting fried due to this exact same problem. This is why we have polarity tests.

But it still puzzles me as to why wire it the wrong way round when these are clearly marked? One would thought for a reason would you not?

I'll put this forward that a friend of mine, a so called electrician in Portugal Lisbon. I don't want to take his merit away but I must as England is NOT Portugal. There's a different set of rules and regulations.

I remember him mentioning to me seeing MCB's in CUs for sockets (he did not know the term ring main) with two 2.5mm wires in. He was baffled! Why two wires? Surely one is enough?

Having now done this level 2 I have explained to him the nature of the 2 x 2.5mm cables and the ring main. Luckily he always screw them back on. But in Portugal this simply does not happen. Only one cable and in sockets are connected in series end off. Hey but I understand now the logic in it.

Another so called electrician was to change the MCB for what I was told to be an independent socket that was powering this industrial fridge/freezer on this baker/pastry house as the MCB was constantly tripping. I was told by the owner (a friend) that he was to change this MCB to double it's capacity. This was before I even thought about doing my course but I immediately asked him what size cable do you have on that circuit? And I explained to him that he did not want to have an MCB that exceeded the capacity of the cable on the circuit as this could be catastrophic. He could burn the house down. He was asking for trouble. I caused enough worry for him to seek a qualified competent electrician who rectified the problem off-course at a cost.

This electrician had to go a few times over to inspect everything as on his first floor he had sockets catching fire. He had relied in the first so called Portuguese electrician that costed him peanuts only to later pay a capable person to make it right and oh boy it cost him dearly.

I was also under the illusion that there wasn't much about being an electrician. I now know differently and take my hat to all you experienced guys. I still have to disagree as to why the hell on earth does one need to study motors to become an electrician???? Magnetism, OK fare enough but motors?

Anyone capable of enlighten me on this one? Motors?

Cheers.

Albert

Well, after 50 odd years of that, who wouldn't be creamed.:beatnik:

I for once can admit that until doing this level 2, thought the same. I have heard of a few TVs getting fried due to this exact same problem. This is why we have polarity tests.

But it still puzzles me as to why wire it the wrong way round when these are clearly marked? One would thought for a reason would you not?

I'll put this forward that a friend of mine, a so called electrician in Portugal Lisbon. I don't want to take his merit away but I must as England is NOT Portugal. There's a different set of rules and regulations.

I remember him mentioning to me seeing MCB's in CUs for sockets (he did not know the term ring main) with two 2.5mm wires in. He was baffled! Why two wires? Surely one is enough?

Having now done this level 2 I have explained to him the nature of the 2 x 2.5mm cables and the ring main. Luckily he always screw them back on. But in Portugal this simply does not happen. Only one cable and in sockets are connected in series end off. Hey but I understand now the logic in it.

Another so called electrician was to change the MCB for what I was told to be an independent socket that was powering this industrial fridge/freezer on this baker/pastry house as the MCB was constantly tripping. I was told by the owner (a friend) that he was to change this MCB to double it's capacity. This was before I even thought about doing my course but I immediately asked him what size cable do you have on that circuit? And I explained to him that he did not want to have an MCB that exceeded the capacity of the cable on the circuit as this could be catastrophic. He could burn the house down. He was asking for trouble. I caused enough worry for him to seek a qualified competent electrician who rectified the problem off-course at a cost.

This electrician had to go a few times over to inspect everything as on his first floor he had sockets catching fire. He had relied in the first so called Portuguese electrician that costed him peanuts only to later pay a capable person to make it right and oh boy it cost him dearly.

I was also under the illusion that there wasn't much about being an electrician. I now know differently and take my hate to all you experienced guys. I still have to disagree as to why the hell on earth does one need to study motors to become an electrician???? Magnetism, OK fare enough but motors?

Anyone capable of enlighten me on this one? Motors?

Cheers.

Albert
much of the rest of the world uses radial finals throughout....

well, he was right there then....as i wouldn`t recognise it either....for finals that is...

much of the rest of the world uses radial finals throughout....

well, he was right there then....as i wouldn`t recognise it either....for finals that is...

Aye, the house experts again.....RFC. Surely that would be taught to a 1st year apprentice/student

Nope .... I was the one with the greasy quiff, sideburns, black leather jacket T-shirt with the Stars & Stripes on the front, blue drainpipe jeans with skull & crossbones belt buckle and winkle picker boots, and when I wasn't hanging off the back of the dodgem cars, I was spinning the cars on the Waltzer.

I still have the jacket and boots.

a bit like this?

tumblr_lutqynUyO41qbisceo1_400.jpg

Reply to What do I need to legally start working as an electrician? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net