Discuss What do you`s think of hager consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not consumer unit but their 3 phase boards.
Due to the site I work on stipulating fuses must be used and not MCBs a contractor fitted a Hager board with BS1361 carriers(LS201). When Hager was asked about a lockout device for these carriers their reply was there isn't one and suggested using a seal similar to what is used on meters.
Can't see how that can comply when carrying out a safe isolation?

Like on other fuse DB's put the fuse in your pocket and put your sign up...

Or leave someone in control of the DB at all times...

Or put a lock on the DB door...

Or take the wires out lol...

Fit a Lewden, BG or a Curve, cheap as chips and as good as hager, MK is total shizen, as for MK outlets Rappid, the sockets are appalling IMO and total carp, ever since they stopped making them here they are the worse sockets on the market for value.

rcbos

I find hager boards are fine until you fill them with rcbos. There is absolutely nothing you can do to make them even remotely tidy although this is probably true of most boards

Wait..... you CHOOSE to fit Crabtree??

Do you have a problem with them then?

I fit Crabtree for preference. Everything fits neatly and straight, with the breakers just pushing into the enclosed busbar. No other domestic CU can beat it for safety, whether testing or making changes. Never had a stripped thread, either.

I fit Crabtree for preference. Everything fits neatly and straight, with the breakers just pushing into the enclosed busbar. No other domestic CU can beat it for safety, whether testing or making changes. Never had a stripped thread, either.

Good quality board Crabtree , I mostly use them and all crabtree fittings ,

Crabtree Starbreaker and Hager for me always, find Hager much easier to alter board to make multi service or high integrity just by adding an extra clip in neutral terminal bar and flexible link.
Hager boards are very good quality and they have always been changeable with older units and components, good well made ad goo price.
MK are rubbish now and the breakers are poor quality,the logic plus range has gone right down too so as the Crabtree range, the back terminals are not good at all the face plates are thin and tarnish easily. I fit HagerSollyta fittings hey are fantastic with good terminals,m y only grump is the range needs increasing

Last edited by a moderator:
goo terminals, y only grump sthe rae needs increasing.

tin poisoning, too many cornish pasties, or has the coke kicked in?

Used to fit them until they had their 'incident'. Admittedly it didnt effect starbreaker and the last starbreaker board i fit was quite good, although trying to get one of the wider type RCDs out of the board needs a 20ft long crowbar and leverage.

Jim

Good quality board Crabtree , I mostly use them and all crabtree fittings ,

I gave you a like Ray for the consumer unit ,the sockets are an entirely different matter

I consider what was once the best socket by far, to be now an insult to quality and practicality,the modern design is by far the worst there is out there,so bad that I refuse to have anything to do with them and would not fit them even if they were supplied to me for pennies

Can't beat merin gerin
And can't spell scnider

Merlin or Schneider as I believe they are now known are superb Dist Boards. I love the slide locks on the bus bars, nice touch, and if you do no nasty belts. And what are you doing working on a live board any way. You bad sparky you, turn all those office computers off right now.

Only used a hager domestic once and didn't like it. Can't see past hager though for any commercial work. For domestic it's always crabtree starbreaker. Never any messing about trying to get the cover back on and so easy to add or change mcb's.

I don't have much time for ANY push fit breaker boards. Fine while everything is working well when new, but further down the line they can be a real headache to remove a breaker and tend not to have the same connection quality when replacing a breaker....

I gave you a like Ray for the consumer unit ,the sockets are an entirely different matter

I consider what was once the best socket by far, to be now an insult to quality and practicality,the modern design is by far the worst there is out there,so bad that I refuse to have anything to do with them and would not fit them even if they were supplied to me for pennies

Quite right Des, crabtree was the best s/o on the market, in fact it was no1 for me then mk.

Reply to What do you`s think of hager consumer units in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net