Search the forum,

Discuss What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I can understand the ill feeling towards the 5 week lads, especially those who say they have no choice but then I guess they haven't actually done anything wrong. I am starting college full time in sept for level 2 2330 and will hopefully complete level 3 the year after. I have a question.....what will I be?It's all about 5 week lads or full on apprentiships and nothing has been said about the lad who like me gives up his full time job to go on an agency driving at weekends to keep the bills paid while trying to better myself etc. I am concerned about the apparent lack of work and amount of non sparks carrying out spark work but my long term goal is com/ind not domestic so not sure where I'll start lol Just to add also, please remember every job Market is saturated at the minute these are the times. I drive an artic for £7.50 an hour as it's seen as unskilled work, I've already been warned I'll only earn £11-12 upon qualification if I get a job etc which would be great for me and my family life! Anyway just wondered how us college go'ers are seen in the trade as we're neither of the breed currently being argued about :D

go for the 2330 lvl2 i just finished mine a few weeks ago,

with what they were saying a few pages back

someone with city + guilds 2330 lvl2 is only qulified to install stuff and do dead tests - bassically useless becasue you have to do live tests to sign it off

the reason they say that people with 2330 lvl3 are electricians is that they are allowed to sign of there own work but they recomend that you do c+g 2391 to cover your own back if you get taken to court

all you really need is lvl3/lvl3 nvq electrical

our tutor recomends am2 and after that they have been telling us you dont need to go any further

I'd probably say more like 80% lol.

Just one question, if you studied for 6 years why would you no do the correct technical exams and become a "properly qualified" electrician. Although you only do houses at the minute you never know when you might want to expand. To me you are not a "proper" electrician unless you can show me your JIB card, or have the quals required to get a JIB card. No offense.

2330 lvl 2 and 3
17th Edition
Part P

Paul

When/If I need to expand my business I will do. But at the moment it really doesnt matter if I have Electrical Contactor or Domestic Installer on the side of my van.

Within a domestic property I can do the same job as anyone on here. So if your saying I am not a 'proper electrician' then no-one is.

Oh yeah.......No offense

When I last looked at Domestic Installer status they were not allowed to carry out Periodic Inspection Reports. Now it would appear that they are allowed. Most of the DI's that I have met seem barely able to change a plug top let alone comment on the safety of an installation.

I cant understand why anybody would want to enter a trade as divided and torn apart as ours.
If somebdoy asks me 'what trade shall i do', wood butcher is the answer for the following reasons:
1, More pay
2, Better thought of
3, No schemes welching money from you for the right to do your chosen trade.
4, No body telling you cant cut a particular type of wood because youve not got the certification.
And most of
5, Once a joiner always a joiner. You dont find many 25yr joiners unable to work on domestic properties do you? And having to pay for the privilage.:banghead:

Thats why this trade is knackered.
All those that want to join the trade, carry on. But please, do it properly. Work yourself up to the level of sparks.
To me its all very simple, you are semi skilled/trainee until you can carry out ALL aspects of electrical installation work, have enough time behind you and passed the correct eggsams:cheesy:.
In order to answer the next question. Yes, a domestic installer is semi skilled and should be supervised at all times because they are not electricians.
This kids to feed, mortgage to pay argument is not good enough. Be a joiner you've got far less chance of starting a fire.
Just one last question for those wanting to get into the trade to earn money, why did you choose leccying? My guess is because people will take the easiest route to earn good money and Gas Safe is a bit difficult, isnt it?
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I'm a very disgruntled 25yr bear thats sick to the back teeth of watching his trade carved up to satisfy greedy money men that have no right to tell me what I cannot do when they dont know a IGBT from an MGB GT. Labourers and apprentices used to work on houses to gain experience, now its whole new trade!!!! What a load of old rubbish.
If you want to become an electrician then. become one. Dont use a DI course to get a foot in the door, because its worth nothing, go and be a sparks mate for a few years whilst going to college then have a go at an AM2.

I cant understand why anybody would want to enter a trade as divided and torn apart as ours.
If somebdoy asks me 'what trade shall i do', wood butcher is the answer for the following reasons:
1, More pay
2, Better thought of
3, No schemes welching money from you for the right to do your chosen trade.
4, No body telling you cant cut a particular type of wood because youve not got the certification.
And most of
5, Once a joiner always a joiner. You dont find many 25yr joiners unable to work on domestic properties do you? And having to pay for the privilage.:banghead:

Thats why this trade is knackered.
All those that want to join the trade, carry on. But please, do it properly. Work yourself up to the level of sparks.
To me its all very simple, you are semi skilled/trainee until you can carry out ALL aspects of electrical installation work, have enough time behind you and passed the correct eggsams:cheesy:.
In order to answer the next question. Yes, a domestic installer is semi skilled and should be supervised at all times because they are not electricians.
This kids to feed, mortgage to pay argument is not good enough. Be a joiner you've got far less chance of starting a fire.
Just one last question for those wanting to get into the trade to earn money, why did you choose leccying? My guess is because people will take the easiest route to earn good money and Gas Safe is a bit difficult, isnt it?
Sorry if I sound a bit harsh, but I'm a very disgruntled 25yr bear thats sick to the back teeth of watching his trade carved up to satisfy greedy money men that have no right to tell me what I cannot do when they dont know a IGBT from an MGB GT. Labourers and apprentices used to work on houses to gain experience, now its whole new trade!!!! What a load of old rubbish.
If you want to become an electrician then. become one. Dont use a DI course to get a foot in the door, because its worth nothing, go and be a sparks mate for a few years whilst going to college then have a go at an AM2.

How derogatory of other trades (wood butchers) if I were you I wouldn't go voicing your opinion around on many sites!
as for domestic installers I personally think it requires a great deal of care and skill to work in peoples houses,I have seen commercial / industrial sparkys working on expensive
propertys and they dont have the finesse, if you were working on domestics would you say to the client THIS IS NOT SKILLED WORK I WILL CHARGE YOU LESS!!!

(why do some people think they're so special)

How derogatory of other trades (wood butchers) if I were you I wouldn't go voicing your opinion around on many sites!
as for domestic installers I personally think it requires a great deal of care and skill to work in peoples houses,I have seen commercial / industrial sparkys working on expensive
propertys and they dont have the finesse, if you were working on domestics would you say to the client THIS IS NOT SKILLED WORK I WILL CHARGE YOU LESS!!!

(why do some people think they're so special)

First off, I guess youve not worked many sites with a decent amount of banter.
Second, yes it does take care to work in peoples houses but skill is pushing it bit. I'll not even comment on the finesse..........
Third, I do charge less. Householders do not pay the rates I demand for commercial/industrial work.
Fourth, I am special because I can do so much more than wire a bloody house that anybody with 7 weeks training can do
:cheesy:

First off, I guess youve not worked many sites with a decent amount of banter.
Second, yes it does take care to work in peoples houses but skill is pushing it bit. I'll not even comment on the finesse..........
Third, I do charge less. Householders do not pay the rates I demand for commercial/industrial work.
Fourth, I am special because I can do so much more than wire a bloody house that anybody with 7 weeks training can do
:cheesy:

so let the house bashers bash and dont moan,you do your proper work !!!!

care about the trade my --- ! its just full of people dripping that they got seen off for two or three years making tea, when people have become equally qualified in a fraction of the time.....I'm done!

Now for a direct comparison. Topic aside though.
I love to fly light aircraft in my spare time. Cessna 180 single prop mainly.
On a flight to the states, another passenger got into conversation with me and said "So could you fly this 747 then ??
I replied, I may have a better chance than someone who has never flown an aircraft before. But I simply do not have the expertise or experiance to handle a heavy haul 4 engined trans-atlantic jet.
Common sense, logical answer to a chap who really had no real concept of the differance between the two. (Which is fair enough) some people don't.
When I see a commercial airline pilot, and because I have a limited concept of aircraft flight and control, I am full of admiration for there abilities and level of training. Bottom line, they are commited professionals who have gone the extra miles to become what they are within there profession.
Now, for the love of pete, can you guys who are limited to house bashing domestic work, use a little bit of common, and admire those who have chosen to study hard and gain the experiance to become commercial installation electricians. It IS the extra mile and should be given the respect it deserves.

On a flight to the states, another passenger got into conversation with me and said "So could you fly this 747 then ??
I replied, I may have a better chance than someone who has never flown an aircraft before. But I simply do not have the expertise or experiance to handle a heavy haul 4 engined trans-atlantic jet.
Common sense, logical answer to a chap who really had no real concept of the differance between the two. (Which is fair enough) some people don't.
When I see a commercial airline pilot, and because I have a limited concept of aircraft flight and control, I am full of admiration for there abilities and level of training. Bottom line, they are commited professionals who have gone the extra miles to become what they are within there profession.
Now, for the love of pete, can you guys who are limited to house bashing domestic work, use a little bit of common, and admire those who have chosen to study hard and gain the experiance to become commercial installation electricians. It IS the extra mile and should be given the respect it deserves.

domestic installers are not the ones moaning! Have you heard the saying (you have to give respect to earn respect)

care about the trade my --- ! its just full of people dripping that they got seen off for two or three years making tea, when people have become equally qualified in a fraction of the time.....I'm done!

Often heard this type of crap about apprenticeships, generally from those that never did a full indentured apprenticeship, or anything like one. But i'm sure they would know best, ...Right??

You sir, are talking absolute rot!! and that's being Kind to you!!!

what utter bollox, your'e now comparing an apprenticeship served electrician as an elite example of a human being. Working in commercial installations isn't difficult so don't try and make out your a nuclear physicist. The powers that be who are more qualified than you...yeah! even you, have decided that these six week wonders can do the job maybe not aswell as you to begin with, but with a little time and experience will develop into capable and enthusiastic electricians. So face the fact that people don't need to spend three years getting £100 a week, going to college to once a week, and making tea 100 times a week to become qualified..end of!

I agree. I am a house basher at the mo. I have plenty of domestic and light commercial experience and did 3 year apprenticeship, but would struggle in an industrial job.
One thing i would say tho is that its pretty difficult to find experience doing industrial work as companies advertising it always want experience in the first place.
I am a careful and concientous worker and if i ever got chance to work under supervision on industrial stuff i like to think I could pick it up pretty quickly. But i often have a look for these kind of jobs and dont believe id have a chance with my limited experience.
It makes me wonder who will do these jobs when all you fine gents finally retire. Real apprenticeships seem to be a thing of the past.

QUOTE=Engineer54;330255]Often heard this type of crap about apprenticeships, generally from those that never did a full indentured apprenticeship, or anything like one. But i'm sure they would know best, ...Right??

You sir, are talking absolute rot!! and that's being Kind to you!!![/QUOTE]

tea, white one sugar......go!!!!!!
:wink5:

You seem to have a chip on your shoulder about fully indentured apprentices!! I can assure you i wasn't ''allowed'' to make anyone tea during my period of training, ...Too much work going on!!!

This tea making lark is an old fallacy, i'm sure it went on to some small degree, but certainly not within factories and the larger electrical contracting companies....

I AM A 4 WEEK WONDER...............and have put many a time served spar right on these forums because I understand what I do. I have 25 years experiance in electro but mainly mechanical engineering, I understand weaponary, sighting systems, missiles, not to mention metalsmithing and vehicle recovery, so in every aspect I am multi diciplined. What I do is focus on what I am good at and domestic and light commercial electrics is where I sit. Unfortunately every trade is "dumbing" down and the only ones that are not are for example carpenters as they have to master a product that has not changed since man first propped two sticks together to build something!!

I did the 4 week batch of courses only to get a formal qual for what I already knew as that is what was demanded of the industry. As to workmanship......I agree with the comments here on both sides, but its got ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with training but the CORRECT APPLICATION of knowledge. I know guys who are absolute geniuses at their trade, but give them a tool and the job goes sour, Ive also had guys who struggled to get their name right on an exam paper but had natural tallent on their given trade.
It takes all sorts, and the customer is only happy with the job done right, safe and tidy and thats what I give them, Oh and with my 4 week course aside, I can work on 3 phase, do power factor calcs and work on motors, not to mention MENTOR 3 TIME SERVED SPARKS on DC electrics on the Solar PV Course.

Quals will get you so far, personal pride and ambition will take you much further............

This is getting bitter and twisted as always, can we agree that this forum is here to help each other and yes apprentices are better than 7 week wonders I have done both having done 3yrs, then done nothing in the electrical trades, many years later night school,part p ,17th edition etc I only do domestics ,but I still think of myself as skilled,I dont go around slagging off industrial / commercial sparks (as a rule only when they moan about us) as they are more skilled so can we live and let live and enjoy this great forum and all the top guys on this site Thanks for your expertise and help

Well I hope this isn't a bitter and twisted thread ??? I was enjoying all the banter !!! Its what we Sparkies excel at.
Now go and make me a nice cup of tea 5 week wonder, and no urine in it, I can take the P without additional help, lol.
Weaponary sighting systems !!! We have Iron man on board now !!!

I AM A 4 WEEK WONDER...............

I agree with the comments here on both sides, but its got ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with training but the CORRECT APPLICATION of knowledge.

What he hell are you talking about ??? ......So how do you apply the correct application of knowledge, ...without first gaining the knowledge, in the first place ...ie ''Training''??!!!!!

Now if you think that 4 weeks of questionable training in being an electrician, can give a person without any prior electrical knowledge, in both theory, and experience, will enable him to have any idea in the correct application of anything electrical, ..... Your very much mistaken.

Oh, and unless those time served electricians were industrially trained, i can well believe, their lack of knowledge of DC electrics, as they would never have been involved with anything on the DC side of things...

I admire time served electricians, you are in fact what I want to become. Yes I've taken the short course but I read so many threads on here and I think damn, I wish I knew just a fraction of what some of the guys know.

I'd love the opportunity to work alongside some of you to prove that I'm not some good for nothing numpty that doesn't know one end of the screwdriver from the other. The problem is, the work either isn't there or too many of you wouldn't even give me a chance just because of the "5MW" title that I carry on my shoulders. :( I believe that with your professional guidance I could make it one day as a proper spark:D

The concern I have is that if some of you guys don't change your opinions then more and more DI's will come straight out of these workshops and straight into a newly formed companies working in peoples homes.

Changes need to be made for sure but in my opinion there should be a little give and take ;) :thumbsup

so let the house bashers bash and dont moan,you do your proper work !!!!

Missing the point Phil.
I can do houses and "proper work", but thats not the point. Its about deskilling the trade and people coming in to the trade and being told that they are the real deal when all they can do is wire a house. Its the training companies at fault, then again they have to sell the dream.

I agree. I am a house basher at the mo. I have plenty of domestic and light commercial experience and did 3 year apprenticeship, but would struggle in an industrial job.
One thing i would say tho is that its pretty difficult to find experience doing industrial work as companies advertising it always want experience in the first place.
I am a careful and concientous worker and if i ever got chance to work under supervision on industrial stuff i like to think I could pick it up pretty quickly. But i often have a look for these kind of jobs and dont believe id have a chance with my limited experience.
It makes me wonder who will do these jobs when all you fine gents finally retire. Real apprenticeships seem to be a thing of the past.

You have my respect. Grimy realises that it has to be earnt, not a god given right.

I AM A 4 WEEK WONDER...............and have put many a time served spar right on these forums because I understand what I do. I have 25 years experiance in electro but mainly mechanical engineering, I understand weaponary, sighting systems, missiles, not to mention metalsmithing and vehicle recovery, so in every aspect I am multi diciplined. What I do is focus on what I am good at and domestic and light commercial electrics is where I sit. Unfortunately every trade is "dumbing" down and the only ones that are not are for example carpenters as they have to master a product that has not changed since man first propped two sticks together to build something!!

I did the 4 week batch of courses only to get a formal qual for what I already knew as that is what was demanded of the industry. As to workmanship......I agree with the comments here on both sides, but its got ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with training but the CORRECT APPLICATION of knowledge. I know guys who are absolute geniuses at their trade, but give them a tool and the job goes sour, Ive also had guys who struggled to get their name right on an exam paper but had natural tallent on their given trade.
It takes all sorts, and the customer is only happy with the job done right, safe and tidy and thats what I give them, Oh and with my 4 week course aside, I can work on 3 phase, do power factor calcs and work on motors, not to mention MENTOR 3 TIME SERVED SPARKS on DC electrics on the Solar PV Course.

Quals will get you so far, personal pride and ambition will take you much further............

This man is not a DI. He is an engineer, hats off to you.

All I am going to say is, I have done industrial installation and maintenance,commercial installation and domestic installation, with a short period labouring for my plasterer brother
icon7.png

I consider myself to be "a unit of labour"
If I didn't need the money,you could call me whatever you wanted to, as long as I didn't after get up tomorrow and stick another screwdriver in my hand.
I'll drink to that
:54:

I think a new word has been invented. Domesticinstalleraphobic.

This argument is flawed on so many levels but ultimately boils down to this. In working life, not just the electrical industry, some people are good at what they do, and some people aren't. You may have lots of qualifications, you may not have many. This ultimately does not make you good or bad at your own job. How you do your job makes you good or bad.

All joking aside lads, this is such a diverse trade.
There are so many levels of expertise and knowledge/experiance building that you can be in the game for umpteen years and will always be learning throughout.
Being a domestic sparks, is really about what your happy to do. If thats where your bread and butter lies then so be it. If youv'e been in the field long enough to gain experiance and with a competant working knowledge of how to do the job right, then your a domestic electrician by definition.
Moving on from there, commercial industrial work is far more complex for a variety of reasons, and any good electrician domestic or otherwise would fully appreciate this. There was a time when experiance and knowledge went hand in hand and stood for something. We all have to accept that some sparks have more experiance and knowledge than others. Surely that applies to all walks of life.
Lets not beat ourselves up about it.
At 58 I'm still learning the trade. And then again, I have my moments when I can pass on my knowledge to others.
If anyone thinks they have learnt all there is to know then think again. Sometimes we can teach and sometimes we can learn, doing it together, and helping each other out on sites just like this is really what its all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did an elecrtical apprenticeship.......but now I want to do apprenticeship in how to make money, I think it'll make me happier!!!!!!!!

it annoys me that people think they can train to be a spark in 5 weeks, and think they can charge the same. like anything it takes time to develop a skill, whatever it is.

same in this country for martial arts, seems anyone can get a black belt these days, but can they really fight?

sure you might be quick and learn the idea quickly, but to build the speed and get it to come naturally to you takes time, even sparkys who have been doing the job 20 years can learn something new, so people going to a trade centre to get a certificate that makes them think they are entitled to £160 a day does annoy me. I've seen it, and these blokes although not completely clueless are charging clients large sums of money for the privilege of letting them train in their houses. I think everyone should do their training even if they are late to game.

Looks like the authorities are raising the standard with the requirements for a NVQ 3. This will take time to raise the standard as so many of your hated 5 dayers are in the trade already and now have grandfather rights with the schemes. What I would like to ask the so called "so many day wonders"...if any of you have good business brains can you share some tips.

Well this thread has certainly been an interesting read. I am currently not a DI but have been considering this career change. As others on this thread I have a degree in electronics and over 20years experience in practical and design etc, I believe I am competent and have a good understanding of electrical theory.
So, after reading the previous comments I'm thinking whether I should even consider being a DI? granted it will take time to gain the practical experience but if you have the formal qualifications does that not put you on the right path atleast?
I would happily stick to domestic work so I don't see why I have to be aiming for commercial work so I can be a fully fledged electrician?

The amount of threads regarding this stevie.......i have said it before and i will say it again-As long as the cash for these "training centres" keeps rollin in....they`l keep churnin em out. The ONLY way in my opinion is for training centres to be better regulated as to the standard of those who pass their courses and thus enter industry and to the suitability of those who wish to undertake certain courses they offer (2391-10 2391-20) etc.......

they do better vetting, but really, in the end the problem is that people are willing to pay these people to come into their homes. if theres work someone will grab it, under experienced or not. in the end i wouldn't be sure to what the solution is. but i've seen it, a bloke who's only had a bit of practice trying to take on a job at a slow pace, making mistakes and making the customer pay him day rate. if people don't mind being screwed then it will carry on. there also seems to be a myth that if they get a proper electrician he'll end up charging more than the new guy, when infact an experienced bloke will end up doing it much faster, and will end up costing less because he isn't slow. So in the end i think the problem is the consumer.

Anyway if an electronic engineer is thinking of changing trades, you're theory might be very good, but theres a skill in fault finding, getting your routes and all that like any trade that takes a long time to get a pace. nothings stopping you having a go at it, but having to be on the tools might find you at a push for time. i think everyone should do their training for these reasons. i'm sure this isn't the only business thats suffering because people think it won't take long to train up in.

I think a new word has been invented. Domesticinstalleraphobic.

This argument is flawed on so many levels but ultimately boils down to this. In working life, not just the electrical industry, some people are good at what they do, and some people aren't. You may have lots of qualifications, you may not have many. This ultimately does not make you good or bad at your own job. How you do your job makes you good or bad.

Couldnt agree more, kind of what I said earlier without rambling.

Only the good survive irrespective on how they trained. Unfortunately the industry is geared towards the apprentice start, so only the industry is to blame. I tried to go through the night school route, but the local colleges were not interested. I am fortunate, as my background gave me an enormous boost. I do agree a 5 week wonder who has been stacking shelves in Tesco all his life will not be anywhere as good as someone who as changed trade streams. I knew from the outset it would be harder, and thats what drives me on. Im lucky in having a natural ability with hands on work, plus I have the added advantage of being of an above average intelligence which is why I breezed through my HND, DEI, 17th edn and 2391.

Fault finding is down to logic and confidence. I have been called out to help a time served spark. he knew what he was doing, he was well qualified, he just lacked confidence to believe in his own findings.

Moral.....THOSE WHO CAN DO! I stay within my limit of comfort, I leave the industrial and large commercial where it belongs and I concentrate on doing what I do well.

Well this thread has certainly been an interesting read. I am currently not a DI but have been considering this career change. As others on this thread I have a degree in electronics and over 20years experience in practical and design etc, I believe I am competent and have a good understanding of electrical theory.
So, after reading the previous comments I'm thinking whether I should even consider being a DI? granted it will take time to gain the practical experience but if you have the formal qualifications does that not put you on the right path atleast?
I would happily stick to domestic work so I don't see why I have to be aiming for commercial work so I can be a fully fledged electrician?

As long as you realise that you are on a learning curve from day 1 of being in someones property then fine.
Your degree in electronics, should not be considered a qualification in competance to complete a house rewire, it's not.
Theory do go hand in hand with practical experiance, its the sum of the parts that make you competant.
From what you say, you lack practical experiance, just be aware of that, and don't be to proud to admit it.
I once attended a property owned by a university lecturer. He had wired a 9kw shower into a 16A immersion radial circuit. I was there because he thought the new shower might be faulty !!!
I have said this before , so forgive me for repeating it.
Being competant is as much about knowing what you don't know, as it is about knowing what you do know.

Being competant is as much about knowing what you don't know, as it is about knowing what you do know.

Thought Id give this promanance as it is a 1 line quote that sums everything up.

"Onetrack" - the other area you will struggle with when you start out is product knowledge. Knowing what is out there, what is new to the market and where it can and can not be used. Good luck

Graeme and baldsparkies thanks for your input. Points taken aboard. totally agree with regards to practical experience and product knowledge. I am in know way proud to admit lack of experience. just highlighting where I stand. After reading the thread I thought there is absolutely no point in persuing the DI route, saying that I am still in two minds.
But your feedback is appreciated.

Reply to What is a Domestic Installer ? in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net