Currently reading:
Which Van is best for an electrical contractor?

Discuss Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Had my vivaro broke into a couple of times, but they cant open the back doors from yhe front so no gear gone. I have just bought some van locks from ebay, 22 quid for 2 of the big disc locks with padlocks

Tim no damage was done scenes of crime reckon they pop the side door open some how, neighbour reckons they short out the electric mirrors and everything opens ( have my doubts on that one) been leaving my tools at the firms unit all alarmed but its a pain loading and unloading the van. But external locks are the way I'm going and wielding up a steel box and a steel bar in front with a pad lock. Thanks guys for your replies

Tim no damage was done scenes of crime reckon they pop the side door open some how, neighbour reckons they short out the electric mirrors and everything opens ( have my doubts on that one) been leaving my tools at the firms unit all alarmed but its a pain loading and unloading the van. But external locks are the way I'm going and wielding up a steel box and a steel bar in front with a pad lock. Thanks guys for your replies

Shorting certain wires can open doors. I lost the keys to my mk 1 focus years ago and read on the internet that providing you dont deadlock the car (by pressing the lock button twice) you could open the central locking by shorting out the wires to the chassis in the top brake light, it worked, it opened all the doors, but blew 2 fuses. I found the bloody keys the next day.

Standard car security isnt that great.

Sounds like it works for you Wade88!

Every time mate.

I'm known as the "crazy bloke down the road who will chew your face off if you try steal his stuff, guy", the reputation has deterred criminals for some time now. Never mind welded steel, big pad locks, dobermans, all you need is a reputation to not be messed with... unfortunately the only way to get one is borderline/most definitely illegal. :ninja:

Pad lock across the back door on inside then go out side door. From front make hole in bulkhead and put a bolt to stop side door from sliding along rails.

Had a VW transporter and a fiat ducato emptied one this x mas and one last both vans 58 plate both no damage to them at all they even locked transporter afterwards. Found out how they got into fiat witch I won't say how put sadly 30 secs job. Sold van then I found this out.

Last edited by a moderator:
rattlesnakes and big dogs work really well!
a loud alarm/ siren connected to its own battery helps.
and if you really feel the need an electric fence unit attached to the door handles works great
there are ones that run on their own batteries

I've had my vauxhall Astra for a year and it does the job but it's just too small! I want to get it all kitted out so that I have everything in the van that I need so I am not caught on the hop and that means I need more space.

I've narrowed it down to the following, but I'm sure theres plenty of others:

- vauxhall Combo
- Volkwagon Caddy
- Citreon Berlingo
- Peugeot Partner
- Nissan NV200

The one big thing that it has to have is good MPG as this will be my only vehicle.

Cheers guys.

Give it a year with one of them and you'll be wanting a bigger van again! Just bite the bullet and go for a Vivaro, or, if you can afford it, a VW Transporter.

If this is out of the question however, I'll throw another into the mix; Ford Transit Connect. Good vans IMHO

ldv pilot £1500 ex royal mail, 1.9 peugeot engine with 40k on the clock will get you where you want with nice mpg.
use rest of the cash for service, oil change and fixing some nice storage in it.

As above don't go halfway or you will regret it again. I was in the same predicament so I upgraded from a Renault kangoo that did 35 mpg approx., due to it being constantly overloaded- to a Vauxhall vivaro 2.0 cdti which does 40mpg and that's because it can handle the weight and is probably only at half of its capability weight wise. also it only added about £50 more to my insurance, which is well worth the extra comfort and as 3 seats which helps if it is going to be your only vehicle.

Give it a year with one of them and you'll be wanting a bigger van again! Just bite the bullet and go for a Vivaro, or, if you can afford it, a VW Transporter.

If this is out of the question however, I'll throw another into the mix; Ford Transit Connect. Good vans IMHO

That would my choice. I have a 55 plate which has got 160k on it now. Still drives superb but the OP won't like the MPG.

Reply to Which Van is best for an electrical contractor? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back