Discuss Working in Schools? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'd have to agree with MDJ. The annual assessment process for approved contractors is pretty thorough.
I'd very much like to see some actual evidence of a shocking standard of work carried out by NICEIC approved contractors.

I'll see what I can do, I might be able to get a copy of the joke of an EICR I was looking at last week.
I'll see of I can get some pictures of the **** I've come across at the school next time I'm there.

I'll see what I can do, I might be able to get a copy of the joke of an EICR I was looking at last week.
I'll see of I can get some pictures of the **** I've come across at the school next time I'm there.

I would guess the bigger the company(especially using subbies alot) the more the standards could drop and poor work does slip past, but in my experience with smaller outfits and one man bands, Approved contractors generally do have a higher standard of work

Surrey, Essex and Kent use the same method of contracting. And this is separated into 2 categories. High value and Low.
The County councils deal with high values, and only 4 main registered construction companies can tender for the contract. The company and all its subcontractors, Must have Construction Online certification. Plus relevant approval ie NICIEE. Without this, or being on the approve list, you wont get a look in. The lower value under £40k is down to the schools own budget, and they can employ who they wish....If you have the chance of bidding here, this is an opportunity to get on their approved list.
That is interesting Dave, it is 10 here in Glos, and still tough to get on that list, so 4, well it is a cartel isn't it lol and wrong really at that low amount.

I would guess the bigger the company(especially using subbies alot) the more the standards could drop and poor work does slip past, but in my experience with smaller outfits and one man bands, Approved contractors generally do have a higher standard of work
Yes I agree, there will obviously be a few bad eggs in every county but generally yes they will be of a higher standard because as wirepuller pointed out the inspection process is thourough in the approved contractor accreditation system, regarding the Domestic installer lol, well no comment there.

Yes it is a low amount....each of the 4 is a major construction company, ie always one of the big boys, and must hold the office within the county. Well they all have a sub office in every county. Each must only subcontract within the local county, which is a good thing if your on the approved list and for local companies. The Main Contractor list lasts 4 years then is re Tendered.

So today I was working on an event for armed forces day. Local council organised job so site power was done by their NICEIC approved contractor. And it was downright dangerous!
The main stage had one feed from a generator and one from a nearby building with a TNCS supply. I couldn't see an earth rod anywhere near the generator and there was no effort to link the two earth systems. And they didn't bother to bond any of the metal structure. They obviously had never heard of bs7909, let alone complied with it!
But I guess it's ok cos they were NICEIC registered and it was only one member of the royal family we had on the stage for them to kill.
The same company is responsible for the emergency lighting in a local theatre, they've fed each unit via an FCU bolted to the side of the nearest socket.

Nope, JC electrics

One of their blokes was in my class at tech college when I was an apprentice. He dropped out in the second year because he was thick as pig ****, funny how he's still doing the job 10 years later

Last edited:

Reply to Working in Schools? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net