Discuss Worrying activities! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Can you expand a bit please Dave? Is it because the insulation tape is not thick enough to offer basic insulation? Also with regard the heatsink are you talking about the different types of heatshrink? Thick glue lined as opposed to thin not glued?

No it’s because the glue goes off and the tape loosens, becomes a sticky mess and falls off after a few years, you must have come across this on installations?

I mean the choice of heatshrink with regards having the correct voltage rating and mechanical properties as needed, also it may need to meet standards for flammability or lsf insulation etc. Each application is going to be different and may need different materials.

Attempt number 3

IMG_0912.JPG

He's upgraded the tails to 25mm which is a good thing.

Why is this a good thing? Unless the service fuse is 100A then it is completely unecessary.

I don't need to contact the DNO to remove a cut out fuse as I am authorised to do so.

You are in a WPD area. I would check on the validity of the authorisation which you think you have, maybe try to get it in writing?

Wouldn't even know where to begin with that tbh.

Would have been a bit of a nightmare to be fair with cables entering from all angles but certainly could have been executed better than that!

Looking at it, I'd guess the extensions are just singles... possibly the cores from the cable. Had he made an effort to make a decent joint (using non-insulated indent crimps or in-line splices) and then put them in some good quality adhesive lined heatshrink (to provide strain relief), it would be much better. But I'm betting they are standard insulated crimps with no strain relief... no supports or clips on the cables... recipe for disaster and if I were you I'd be advising the client to get the guy back to sort it out before it kills someone.

Looks like he could've dropped the CU down level with the meter and not had to crimp anything, hidden al those grotty cables and made access easier - as its level with to top of the window at moment!

... and if I were you I'd be advising the client to get the guy back to sort it out before it kills someone.
And that's just the bit we can see... Personally I wouldn't have 'em back. Reminds me of the old days of typing docs - likely to end up with more typos added when fixing the first lot.

main earth looks like its coming from a henley block with the neutral rather than from the heads earth terminal , strange set up
me personally don't like through crimps as difficult to varifie how good the connection is (i much prefer a connection box and some connector strip )
theres mixed colour stickers and rcd notices missing also(unless under the flap ....
so easy to snag others works , but in this case a small child or even my wife could point out a few bad looking stuff

Why is this a good thing? Unless the service fuse is 100A then it is completely unecessary.

You are in a WPD area. I would check on the validity of the authorisation which you think you have, maybe try to get it in writing?

I have it in writing, "Safety,Health and Environment to Industry Standards" "Operation of Cut Out Fuses"

IMG_0916.JPG

That’s a self-connect meter, there is a separate cover for the outgoing terminals so that an electrician can access them without exposing the incoming terminals. Also there is a single pole isolator under the cover so no need to pull the bullet.
Very true but in that case how did he manage to safely isolate in order to change the 25mm neutral incoming tail to the meter from the Henley block?

Reply to Worrying activities! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net