• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Would you get the megger 1731 or 1711.... see below for details. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I simply cannot decide between the 1711 and the 1731!!

I only need the functions of the 1711, but I would REALLY like the rechargeable battery function of the 1731. The difference in price (after buying the remote probe, as it comes with the 1731) is about £300 (inc VAT).

I really don't need any of the other extra bits that come with the 1731 compared with the 1711, so it really is paying an extra £300 for the rechargeable battery function of the 1731.. rather than having to take the batteries out once a week or more to charge them. £300 is a lot of money, but.... a pain in the backside to keep taking the batteries out to charge.

I'll see how you lot vote later :)

One thing is personally look for if I were buying a new multifunctional tester now, is what RCD tests it can carry out.

With the the influx of DC equipment, PV and car charging points I'd probably look for a tester that can carry out the full range of RCD tests more specifically the "A type" and "B type" RCDs as ive personally got a feeling in the next few years we will see more of these, and some of us may have to buy separate RCD testers.

I don't know if the entry level Megger can carry out these tests I think it can only test standard AC type RCDs ?

###edit looks like the 1711 can test Selective and A type RCDs

Personally I've got myself a Dia-log DL9118 it's not bad for the price, the leads that come with it are a bit cheap and it doesnt quite have that megger feel about it however I'd recommend it to someone starting out who may not have a spare grand in the bank, again Unfortunately it can't test B type RCDs :(

Last edited:
I've got the 1711. Does what I need it to. Another function on the 1731 is EL testing, but you have to shell out a lot for the clamp. For the rare occasion I may need something more adept I could borrow or hire as necessary. I generally find batteries last at least a month, possibly longer. I am a stickler for turning it off when it's sat idle for longer than a few minutes though.

I prefer to use alkaline cells and keep a spare set with my MFT. (DiLog 9018p)
When they do go flat it's a quick change and your up and running again rather than waiting for a charge or calling your mate to borrow his which is also flat because he forgot to charge it last night.

Well, I've just got off the phone with Ben from Test-Meter and am now the owner of a 1731:D.

He new what he was talking about so I could ask my plethora of questions and he didn't mind me having a cheeky haggle over the price (which he did bring down a bit being a forum member :))

I've bought from Test-Meter before and had a small problem which they rectified without any quibble so I am most happy to recommend them.

Cheers Ben and also to the others who replied on this thread and my other similar thread.

Reply to Would you get the megger 1731 or 1711.... see below for details. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back