Discuss 9.5 kw shower on 6mm ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Moses,

as already mentioned it's very unlikely, I'm sure you are aware of the 1.13 multiplier for a type "B" MCB, it would run all week long (theoretically) around 45 Amps.

Wow!! .....140 replies and climbing, to a simple question of, can a 9.5KW shower run on a 6mm cable?? lol!!!

Its been suggested in this thread, that if the shower is over 8KW they just go ahead and install a 10mm cable.( or even for a 9.5KW shower)I put it to you that its much "Greener" to install an 8.5KW shower on a 6mm cable.The company I worked for, only installed 8.5KW showers in Housing association properties.There must have been enough flow, as we never had any complaints.I think its much Greener for water usage and energy usage and in lower cost of materials(6mm cable instead of 10mm), to install a 8.5KW shower.( Besides its mighty difficult to terminate the 10mm in the isolator). + Austerity and all that??I think anything above 8.5KW should be banned or maybe taxed? on the grounds that it contributes towards Global Warming!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe, but i only included your post, as this was pointed out by myself way, way back!! ...lol!! The thread seems to be going round in circles, the question was answered 4 pages ago!!! lol!!!;)

Ahhhh ... sorry not read through ! Didn't realise was covering old ground. Funny thread agreed! :8:

how big a cable does this shower need?????

6a00d8341c5dea53ef0163045ec6c1970d-800wi

Hello, I’m the member of parliament for East Dulwich. I can drone on for hours and hours about nothing in particular, in fact after a couple of houre I’ve usually forgotten what I started talking about. BUT I still keep droning on and on and on……… Er what, where was I, oh yes I remember…. Damn I can’t find my notes about what I was talking about……. Zzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, I’m the member of parliament for East Dulwich. I can drone on for hours and hours about nothing in particular, in fact after a couple of houre I’ve usually forgotten what I started talking about. BUT I still keep droning on and on and on……… Er what, where was I, oh yes I remember…. Damn I can’t find my notes about what I was talking about……. Zzzzzzzzzzz

That has gotta be from my favourite of all time comedy Monty Pythons Flying Circus ?

Its been suggested in this thread, that if the shower is over 8KW they just go ahead and install a 10mm cable.( or even for a 9.5KW shower)I put it to you that its much "Greener" to install an 8.5KW shower on a 6mm cable.The company I worked for, only installed 8.5KW showers in Housing association properties.There must have been enough flow, as we never had any complaints.I think its much Greener for water usage and energy usage and in lower cost of materials(6mm cable instead of 10mm), to install a 8.5KW shower.( Besides its mighty difficult to terminate the 10mm in the isolator). + Austerity and all that??I think anything above 8.5KW should be banned or maybe taxed? on the grounds that it contributes towards Global Warming!!!!

Just installed a 7.5 Kw in my own bathroom on a 6mm cable. Flow is a little slow on a cold morning, but it doesn't use much water :)

If you did go ahead with the 6mm instead of 10mm, then I would recommend you use a 100ma or 300ma RCD to protect against fire risks of the cable breaking down, as you get fire/thermal protection on cabling with a 300ma RCD. I doubt the shower will ever be on max temp for long enough to draw the full 9.5kw anyways (real life example of diversity), 6mm is likely to be enough.

If you did go ahead with the 6mm instead of 10mm, then I would recommend you use a 100ma or 300ma RCD to protect against fire risks of the cable breaking down, as you get fire/thermal protection on cabling with a 300ma RCD. I doubt the shower will ever be on max temp for long enough to draw the full 9.5kw anyways (real life example of diversity), 6mm is likely to be enough.

Not sure where your coming from with this post but the shower will already be required to have 30mA rcd protection, the standard shower is a instantaneous heater and temp' is regulated by adjusting flow rate so if shower is on its drawing 9.5Kw irrespective of the duration you have it on for.

Reply to 9.5 kw shower on 6mm ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net