Discuss A message to all Elecsa registered electricians!! A must read!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

You're not getting it are you, you seem like an educated fella, that's why I'm really struggling to see how you can be so obtuse!

I AM AN APPROVED CONTRACTOR, look my business up on the Elecsa website if you like!!

I am APPROVED by them to self certify in domestic dwellings, that is an entirely different thing to being labled as a 'Domestic Installer', how many times do I have to say it!?!

The NIC are the ones who set up the Electrical Safety Register. It is the NIC and the NIC alone that is reffering to my business as a domestic installer!!! It is their made up phrase!

God I'm getting bored now!
it even says a such on the side of the van.....
`domestic installer`=NIC
`approved contractor`=elecsa

danspark.....i misunderstood you at first and appologised.

However, you're in a minority here, surely this is telling you something? I understand your passion about it and fair play for fighting your corner, when not everyone (if anyone) agree's.

The fact is the whole of the electrical 'network' if thats the correct phrase is corrupt, its about making money at the highest level - and the competent people on the ground, who go about doing the work to industry standards get buggered because mr.smith in his office has a brainwave.

There is pro's and con's to every argument, this however, from what i can see and if im wrong im wrong........is full of con's

Can I try to get through?

The problem is that Elecsa Approved Contractors are presented as Domestic Installers by the register whereas NICEIC Approved Contractors are presented as Approved Contractors.

Saying that the answer to this is not to rectify the situation but to transfer to NICEIC is blackmail.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Danspark
I can work in a petrol station, can an a contractor approved with ELECSA?

Yes, they can, I can, and have!"How?" I hear you ask... Because it falls outside the scope of Part P. You don't have to be approved by anyone to do such work.Give up mate!

I hope that both of you have an appropriate Ex certification, if any of this work you have carried out at a petrol station was within the forecourt area's or on the pumps control/protection installations?? ...lol!!!

I hope that both of you have an appropriate Ex certification, if any of this work you have carried out at a petrol station was within the forecourt area's or on the pumps control/protection installations?? ...lol!!!

I was wrong. I can't! But D Skelton can

Yes, they can, I can, and have!"How?" I hear you ask... Because it falls outside the scope of Part P. You don't have to be approved by anyone to do such work.Give up mate!

Gonna give up in a mo' You have me at a disadvantage. (as an apporved contractor I have to have an “add on”. Under the provisions of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 (EWR) and the Dangerous Substances & Explosive Atmospheres Regulations 2002 (DSEAR), the site operator (licensee) has a legal obligation to ensure in choosing an electrical contractor that the contractor is fully conversant with the electrical section of the Blue Guide and BS.7671 (IEE Wiring Regulations). Been trained in the installation, maintenance and testing of electrical apparatus for use in potentially explosive atmospheres and is fully conversant with BS EN 6007914, ‘Electrical Installations in Hazardous Areas, I don’t even own “the Blue Book”. It would seem that as an approved contractor I might be the first choice of a site operator but i’m not sure that I wish to spend all that money on the training and books required. I believe the “Blue book” costs just shy of £200. Is that what you paid?

Ps. This is something I know nothing about! I can not work in a petrol station. Although the NICEIC could help me if i wanted but don't plan on doing so (the above was taken from the internet so not reliable)

danspark.....i misunderstood you at first and appologised.

However, you're in a minority here, surely this is telling you something?

According to an NICEIC survey from 1500 contractors I am not in the minority 49% believe that they have seen improvements in the industry. (unless that wasn't what you were referring to)

perhaps you mean about the difference between elecsa's approved contractors and their clasification on domestic installer. in which case yes, and will agree to disagree.

According to an NICEIC survey from 1500 contractors I am not in the minority 49% believe that they have seen improvements in the industry. (unless that wasn't what you were referring to)

perhaps you mean about the difference between elecsa's approved contractors and their clasification on domestic installer. in which case yes, and will agree to disagree.

My god, ...Do you still actually believe in Surveys?? Especially surveys carried out by the interested party themselves!! You really have fallen Hook, Line, and Sinker for the complete marketing drivel that the NICEIC spews out by the bucket load!! lol!!

Ex07 Eng, was the first course I did as a mate. I haven't refreshed or attended 08 since starting up on my own though.

danspark, you seem an inteligent guy, but you can't honestly tell me you go by these surveys? I would love to get hold of that data and see who they actually asked. Guaranteed it was just part p qualified people who have had an easy way into the industry......or, NIC office staff, call workers and every relative under the sun...which wouldn't suprise me, thats how inacurate these surveys can be. Misleading is an understatement.

Saying you're correct, and this survey is accurate, and it was answered truthfully by qualified time served sparks.......it still means 51% disagree and haven't seen improvements.

As regards the elecsa's approved contractors classification....ive read this thread, took everyone opions on board, and my stance is that of d skelton's....its a complete farce.

Last edited:
more Propaganda! You clearly have quite a following!

Far from it, it's just that any fool and his dog, wouldn't believe much from any survey, let alone a single word from a survey conducted by the interested party themselves.

Think about it, you can't admittedly charge members large sums of fee's without at least having something in the way of statistics to show as a provider your making a difference. So what's the best way of getting those complementry statistic's, ....Right, conduct your ''OWN'' survey. ....Now don't start me on Statistic's, because we ALL i hope know what they say about those things!! lol!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan the one thing you fail to grasp is that the NIC and ECA have hijacked this industry for their own gain. They seem to think that they, without any form of legislation to back them up, can dictate who can carry out work on non domestic systems. They do this by convincing the gullible that a good electrical contractor is NIC/ECA approved. They have also tried to do the same with EICR/Periodics but have largely failed on that.

You seem I am afraid to have fallen hook line and sinker for this.

The point that we are trying, without success it would seem, to get across to you is that the NIC have made up this DI name. We do not want it, never asked for it and avoided the NIC because of it. It has no basis in law. At no point in the ammendment to building regs that was passed by parliament and was implemented in Jan 2005 did it say the words "Domestic Installer". Approved however is used numerous times.

You seem to have been so indoctrinated by the NIC that it is impossible to budge you. It reminds me of conversations I used to have with a communist friend of mine who`s views were so ingrained that he wouldn`t even believe that it was going wrong when the Berlin wall was coming down.

Far from it, it's just that any fool and his dog, wouldn't believe much from any survey, let alone a single word from a survey conducted by the interested party themselves.

Think about it, you can't admittedly charge members large sums of fee's without at least having something in the way of statistics to show as a provider your making a difference. So what's the best way of getting those complementry statistic's, ....Right, conduct your ''OWN'' survey. ....Now don't start me on Statistic's, because we ALL i hope know what they say about those things!! lol!!

`well our statistics say`......

and...

`because our research shows`.....
lol......

I have done a survey of my family. I had 100% response, out of the 16 people surveyed, 5 wanted beef for sunday dinner, 6 lamb, 4 pork and 1 chicken. Having listened to them all and taken into consideration their views I have decided we will have chicken because its my house. :cheesy:

Reply to A message to all Elecsa registered electricians!! A must read!! in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net