Discuss A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The simplest way is to agree to the work, get the paperwork and satisfy B.C.

The cheaper, longer and possibly impossible way would be to argue with B.C that it's not a new circuit and therefore doesn't need notifying.
To do that you'd need a report from an Electrician confirming the situation.
And you still might not satisfy B.C

Is it Local authority B.C or a private Approved B.C Inspector?

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valour, and at least if you sell up your house , it is up to current standards .
Plus you have learned a very valuable lesson.

It is an alteration to an existing circuit that's not in a special location so a simple minor works cert shown to building control would be adequate, but I wouldn't cert anyone else's work off.

As mentioned earlier an electrical installation condition report is all I would do.

As for new metal clad 3rd amendment. It's partly down to the individual sparky, but There is no way I would change a cu that is only 3 years old unless I had good reason.

Its local authority BC. Basically i withheld the final intallment of £1800, gone down to £1500 as he did not finish plumbing i.e left me with no waste downstairs so no toilet, bath etc working. I told builder he would get the £1500 when BC are happy and they want sign off for extension electrical work. Any cost would come from the £1500. I dont think he would argue about £125 but if I remove £350. All the arguments will start again. Etc. I am already getting horrible expansion noises from the flat GRP roof, which i cannot see the builder ever sorting. So could end up costing me even more money. I think this is a tough one. Officially it sounds like i dont need metal box. But to get sign off i may have to bite my lip ?. Does £350 sound ok for inspection/testing of extension wiring and new CU ?. I am aware a CU is only around £80 but so about £145 labour for exchanging it seems. I expect thats a fair price ?.

Does £350 sound ok for inspection/testing of extension wiring and new CU ?. I am aware a CU is only around £80 but so about £145 labour for exchanging it seems. I expect thats a fair price ?.

that is a fair price. a CU replacement, including testing, is a full day's work, with about an hour or 2 on top filling in the cert.

If its supply, fit, test and notify of the new CU sounds reasonable to be fair to your electrician and you get what you need and he clearly feels that he's covered at the end of the day.

Personally I think it's quite cheap. I charge £450 minimum for cu swap.

I also think it's quite expensive if it doesn't need to be done.

I really think you should consider getting another sparky in to see what he is willing to do. Maybe he will be prepared not to change cu and do a condition report(eicr).

I've done a condition report for building control before in order to get building works signed off for a customers extension. This customer also had difficulties with there builder. This is work I did not carry out so was not willing to certificate a minor works or eir.

I found the installation to be up to current standards as far as what I could visually see and disconnection times where achievable. I reported this and it was accepted by Building control.

It's worth mentioning the existing cu was plastic. I didn't even mention it in the report as it has no code due to it being to current regs when fitted and conforms to all current regs regarding rcd's and disconnection times.

It is an alteration to an existing circuit that's not in a special location so a simple minor works cert shown to building control would be adequate, but I wouldn't cert anyone else's work off.

As mentioned earlier an electrical installation condition report is all I would do.

As for new metal clad 3rd amendment. It's partly down to the individual sparky, but There is no way I would change a cu that is only 3 years old unless I had good reason.
Unless it was Proteus or Chint:D

nowt wrong with chint. i've got several installed , been in a few years. no probs.

I think the CU is a red herring in the matters above. It does not need changing based on your statements. You need the work done signed off with a MEIWC which should satisfy BC. But as has been stated by @ruston you need it if you want to sell the house and even more important you need it to show the installation is safe, that is for your own peace of mind. Most builder electrics I have had the pleasure of re-terminating and re-wiring show atrocious termination techniques and no art in laying of cables etc.

Going by the fact that the op has had to correct some items already prior to having the wiring tested and the fact that he has had to make sure the builder has done things differently , knowing this I would be very wary of whats been done
, I do think he should have ensured an Electrician carried to this work before and not relied on a builders word and then allow him to do the work as well ........

Going by the fact that the op has had to correct some items already prior to having the wiring tested and the fact that he has had to make sure the builder has done things differently , knowing this I would be very wary of whats been done
, I do think he should have ensured an Electrician carried to this work before and not relied on a builders word and then allow him to do the work as well ........

That is what I was alluding to when I said he has learned a valuable lesson.

Last edited:
You are correct. I was trustworthy, he said it was going to be signed off etc which i was surprised at giving the lack of grommets, earth sleeving etc but by this time, i could only withhold money and take corrective actions. I will pay the £350, BC will be happy, the builder wont be when he gets £350 less but he should have done a better job and not left me to correcting his mistakes, spent months liasing with BC about requirements etc. Great forum. Thanks for everyones comments.

You are correct. I was trustworthy, he said it was going to be signed off etc which i was surprised at giving the lack of grommets, earth sleeving etc but by this time, i could only withhold money and take corrective actions. I will pay the £350, BC will be happy, the builder wont be when he gets £350 less but he should have done a better job and not left me to correcting his mistakes, spent months liasing with BC about requirements etc. Great forum. Thanks for everyones comments.
good for you.now the builder will have learnt a lesson. not to mess with things beyond his capabilities.

Reply to A quick check on if replacement CU is required. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net