Discuss Advice on insulation resistance test procedure :) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I would just like to ask if any one could look at my test procedure off the top of my head and give any advice or pointers or whether its too long winded or short. got an exam in 2 weeks so trying to drill it in to this thick skull :)
Many thanks

Safe Isolation has been carried out:

• Seek permision , Inform client and relevant persons that test is about to be carried out
  • Make area safe by putting up barriers and warning notices
  • Disconnect lamps and link out or disconnect other sensitive devices that may be vulnerable to test voltages
  • Select an insulation resistance tester, Check tester is calibrated, leads show no sign of damage, and that tester is functioning.
  • Select the Megaohm range set at 500V DC
  • Identify circuit to be tested, and test between Live - Neutral and record result. Do the same test between Live - Cpc and Neutral - Cpc record results.
  • Expected result a minimum of 2 M/ohm.
  • Reinstate circuit

you have not mentioned safe isolation and lock off. that should be your 2nd bullet point. ... prove volage tester, isolate, prove dead... before you connect IR tester.

Megohms not megaohms, your terminology is very important mate. Everything you need to know is in GN3 so stick your head in that and only come up for air.

a continuity test L-N could be done first to ascertain if any loads are still in circuit. then a 250V, finally a 500V. and if a plumber or plasterer is working in the vicinity, give it 1000V. LOL.

sounds like a good idea for an alarm clock.

We found a dog training collar for nuisance barking that consisted of a microphone and 2 probes built into a collar. Decided it looked a bit dodgy for the mutts but stepson decided we were too soft, strapped it rouond his neck and started barking. Funniest thing I've seen when the collar zapped him and he went down like a sack of spuds and lay twitching on the living room carpet. Must have the zap-ability of a taser! So glad we didn't try it on the dogs first lol!

Reply to Advice on insulation resistance test procedure :) in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net