Discuss American conduit benders in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

As far as i can remember, there isn't that much of a difference in pipe thickness between standard UK conduit and the Yank EMT. Though the seam is clearly visible on the EMT. I would say that the Yank RST conduit is comparable in thickness to UKs heavy gauge conduit. All are made of steel by the way, but you can get Ally EMT in the states. Also, all there conduit is of the galvanised type, sprayed zinc for EMT and hot dipped for the RST.

One thing i'll mention, they tend to use knockout type boxes in there conduit installations which make them look pretty amateurish to the UK electricians eye, but then most Yank electrical fixtures and fittings tend to be very basic. They do have and use cast type conduit boxes, but they tend to only use in high spec situations.

The conduit used in the States, which is made of steel

Conduit - What Is Intermediate Metal Conduit (IMC) - Electrical Conduit,

comes in 3 commonly used grades. EMT (Standard grade slightly thinner than UK conduit), IMC (The same thickness as UK conduit) and Rigid which is thicker. The hand bender easily bends 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch and with a bit of an effort 1 inch. This could easily be used in the UK conduit sizes 20mm and 25mm. The handle you pull on a UK bender is shorter, which would give it less leverage than the US hand bender. If you were struggling to get it started, some people, generally of the fairer sex, put a sleeving over the handle to make it longer. Incidentally,as a side note, having worked as a union electrician in the US and UK there are 3-4 times as many women electricians over in the US.

boogaloo,

I bet you notice the difference when your back in the UK, when it comes to testing and inspection an installation??
By the way, are the Yanks still using there multi branch circuits utilising a common neutral conductor??

more info on wheatland conduit site, the thick wall is about the same as our steam pipe( we had to use hydrolic benders & screwing machines as we were using 2in & 4in tube )

Yes, they use a common neutral for 3 lighting circuits and the socket circuits are always radial circuits using the same neutral for 3 circuits. As long as the 3 circuits are different phases it is one neutral for the bunch.

Hmmmmm..... I would have thought that they would have ditched that archaic wiring system by now. I think they used a triple pole breakers for these circuits too as i remember.

Had a project where they wanted to use that multi branch system, ....but i insisted that seperate neutrals were to be pulled in for each circuit. I could see some serious problems arising if ever one of those neutrals ever got broken!!!!

Not according to the Cockney Slang that i know!! ...lol!!! Can't say i've heard that term used before, not around London anyway!! Maybe it's a Liverpoodlian Slang term ..lol!!

Reply to American conduit benders in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net