Discuss Anyone know anything about heating controls? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I think you need to be a registered, approved, trained installer to fit those....

I have been looking @ Honeywell's evohome system recently and I don't remember any indication in the installation guides regarding this requirement for installation. Basic installation requires simple changes to the boiler control wiring, the replacement of the TRV control heads, not the valves, and the pairing of wireless devices.

Your boiler stat controls the heat of the primary pipework. You have an S Plan arrangement. This indirectly heats your water via a Zone Valve through a coil in your cylinder. This is regulated by your cylinder thermostat. It would only affect water temp if you set boiler stat at a lower temp than cylinder stat.

Ah ok, so if i cranked it right down on the boiler it will be ok? See pic below, roughly how far should i turn it? Imagine its a clock face, 12 being straight up its about at 8 oclock at the moment.

2014-12-31 17.47.29.jpg

ALWAYS check the meter the day your bill arrives or better still the day its read. And if its estimated make sure that you submit a reading.

It could simply be that they are estimating YOUR usage based on the previous people who may have liked living in a very warm house.

If its BG, and you have opted for monthly payments, be aware that they take the previous 12 months, allow for price increases and then divide by 11!

We had the opposite problem as our house had been empty for 18 months, so every quarter they tried to reduce our payments as they were recalculating using the "zero" values!!

The meter readings, I took them myself and did it online.

See below.

2.jpg

Having the stat on the boiler turned right up shouldn't really make a difference on your gas bill as long as you have a room thermostat and hot water cylinder thermostat, these thermostats determine when to switch the boiler on and off , the thermostat on the boiler just controls the flow temperature so in theory if this is down low it would cost you more to run as it will take longer to heat the hot water and get the room up to temp. If you have a frost stat you should also have a pipe stat without the pipe stat the boiler will just keep running until the frost stat gets up to temperature. Also is the room thermostat in a room with a trv? ( they could be competing against each other).

I have been looking @ Honeywell's evohome system recently and I don't remember any indication in the installation guides regarding this requirement for installation. Basic installation requires simple changes to the boiler control wiring, the replacement of the TRV control heads, not the valves, and the pairing of wireless devices.
I have fitted this system. It was done on a Listed stately home to provide zoning over two floors to avoid re-piping. The TRV's are battery operated. We had RF issue's (massive house). Honeywell sent an engineer and we had to relocate programmer to a new location. I certainly would not entertain it in your place, have you priced it up yet?

Having the stat on the boiler turned right up shouldn't really make a difference on your gas bill as long as you have a room thermostat and hot water cylinder thermostat, these thermostats determine when to switch the boiler on and off , the thermostat on the boiler just controls the flow temperature so in theory if this is down low it would cost you more to run as it will take longer to heat the hot water and get the room up to temp. If you have a frost stat you should also have a pipe stat without the pipe stat the boiler will just keep running until the frost stat gets up to temperature. Also is the room thermostat in a room with a trv? ( they could be competing against each other).

No, the stat is in the hall way, large ish hall, no TRV on the rad though in the hall.

UK Sparks. These are some really good points from LeeSparky. Spot on.

Yes the Mrs is here most of the day, to be honest now I e set the temp to 20 degrees is feels a bit nippy.

what am I looking for with the frost thing? Can you describe what it might look like please.

I had a quick chat with my colleague (he is an experienced central heating engineer) Yeah you are quite correct, on a boiler of this age the flow rate temp set high might not significantly effect the efficiency of the boiler. Unless the return temperature was significantly different than the outgoing. I know that more modern boilers are more efficient when the flow rate temp is set at around 70% of its max.

One thing he did mentioned is that to try and balance the system as best possible

hope this helps :)

Last edited:
I'll one was 1985, 3 bed semi, large double rooms, has had 8 rads.

the new one is a 4 bed detached, 4 double rooms.

The old house, it had an electric shower, it's now off the tank.

I had a quick chat with my colleague (he is an experienced central heating engineer) Yeah you are quite correct, on a boiler of this age the flow rate temp set high might not significantly effect the efficiency of the boiler. Unless the return temperature was significantly different than the outgoing. I know that more modern boilers are more efficient when the flow rate temp is set at around 70% of its max.

One thing he did mentioned is that to try and balance the system as best possible

hope this helps :)

ill have ago at balancing it, the flow and return, I guess I could measure the temp of the pipes if that would achieve anything?

Just a quick thought is boiler coming on on own ie someone next door on wireless and turning it on. Mine did couldnt under stand why house warm boiler on when i came home. Changed dip switches and now good.

ill have ago at balancing it, the flow and return, I guess I could measure the temp of the pipes if that would achieve anything?

I don't think it would make that much difference to be honest, just crank it down to about 3/4 the way and see if it has any adverse effect. There'd be no harm done in doing so.

Its always worth balancing the system as best possible anyhow, so I would recommend you do that even if this does not have a positive effect on your gas bill.

On a side note, you are comparing two completely different dwellings with different systems, boilers, rads, insulation.....

Reply to Anyone know anything about heating controls? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net