Discuss Attached bell wire to rendered external insulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

shinypen

Hi.

I'm pricing up a job. I need to run bell wire up the outside of a newly rendered and externally insulated house. Never touched this before and I'm worried the clips won't fix in securely or will damage it. Is this the case? Any one got any experience /tips?

Thanks.

It's a massive victorian 3 story house split in to flats. The renderers helpfully pulled all the wire off when they did their stuff.

It's for 4 door bells. Didn't want to use trunking as thought a bit OTT but perhaps not as they'll be 4 wires. Perhaps wall plugs? Do plugs even fix securely?

The render can be fairly soft and inconvenient to fix to, perhaps using pin plugs may help, alternatively using a screwed P clip can allow the use of longer screws which will hold to some extent in the insulation but you should ensure that you are not breaching a water barrier, so seal the screw entry. The cables should not be subject to heavy strain.

Internally all the wire runs to the external wall where it was ripped out so would have been nice to utilise this. There's scaffolding up also. P clips may work.

Once you start fixing to insulation, you de-rate it's capabilities by 60%. Look up the phrase 'thermal bridging', might save you a hefty fine by the builder.

My mate does fixing onto this stuff , flues , outside lights and anything else that is on the house before the renovation . I do not know how hw fixes the lights but the cables are extended from the inside .
He is working abroad for the company, but will be back this week .
I will ask him how they do it.

Reply to Attached bell wire to rendered external insulation in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net