Discuss Best Powertools brands around!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Best Brands?

• Dewalt

Votes: 93 18.8%
  • Bosch

Votes: 127 25.7%
  • Makita

Votes: 196 39.6%
  • Hilti

Votes: 67 13.5%
  • Ryobi

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
Has anyone mentioned Elu? Quality gear before DeWalt/Black & Decker took them over. I've built up quite a nice selection over the years, off eBay, some never used.
Hilti TE 6-C for my SDS rotary hammer though.

Bosch 10.8v r cracking
Hilti for the big stuff
Fein super cut top machine blades r expensive tho
Panasonic 21.0v drill driver batteries r spot on plenty torque
Bosch 36v for Sds used everyday for 3 years nuff said
Tools r great eh?

My firms 24v Bosch GBH-SDS drill is pretty good. No problems with it. 2 years old and been used every single day, Still works like new and it has had alot of abuse.

Just ordered my first drill and I went for the Makita BHP453 18v combi drill with one 3.0Ah Li-ion Battery. It was £149.99. It seems like a cracking wee drill just waiting for it to come and ill be happy if I get three years out of it.

Anyone got this drill? Is it a half decent drill?

WR

PS Link to the Makita http://www.screw fix.com/p/makita-bhp453rfx-18v-3-0ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/50393#

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a fan of Makita personally. I found the (LXT204) BTP140 4-function and BHP451 3 speed combi twin pack with 2x 18v 3.0 Ah Li-ion batts, charger and case for only £345!!!
Tool Chest Direct Search
£50 cheaper than the best next price for just the BTP140 with 2 batts!!! Struggling to find a 5.5mm masonry bit for the BTP140 though

For electricians i would recommend Panasonic 18v IP tough tools. Specially the drill because of drilling plasterboard ceilings,no dust gets in to it. Makita is the one i would not recommend, i have seen so many of them burning out, and the batteries dies much more often because they don't have a protection, for example panasonic will stop working if you're going beyond its capabilities while makita will keep on going until you will start seeing smokes coming out of it:) hilti wall chaser and some cheap hammer drill:)

Ive chosen DeWalt from a proffesional point of view.

Unfortunately we've had a few problems with DIY grade Makita products, (probably the gaffers fault for buying one of those famous £150 deals!)

Im a Milwaukee man these days, cant fault any of their products ive used whatsoever, definately worth the extra cash in my opinion.

can,t fault makita for service,i had a 24 volt battery pack up on a drill that was just under 12 months old and not done much work,lost receipt rang makita who said no probs send it in,sent battery on saturday and got new on back on following thursday, hows that for service? have used their kit now for 30 years have a bit of bosch and get issued dewalt at work but prefer makita.

just seen this thread and and its odd that hardly anyone has mentioned Milwaukee especially the C12 range..I replaced my kit last year with several items from C12 range including a combi drill which is apparently the smallest on market. The drills can take either 1.5 or 3.0 ah batts. during my thirty odd years of using power tools I have used almost every make around inc. Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, Hitachi, Hilti, Ryobi...but these little Milwaukees are great...got mine on ebay after seeing feature in Professional Electrician...

I like Panasonic, but itb ain't on the list....
I also have a Dewalt SDS/breaker (110v), a Ryobi SDS drill(110v), a Borsche drill (240v)

I have never bought Hilti or Makita, however like most people, I feel Hilti maybe then best, I can't afford the pricetag

Another Milwaukee vote from me, everyone knows red goes faster

Boss uses JCB tools which are not too bad as well, but kind of expensive for reasonably unknown power tools

Ive just started in the trade. All my work so far has been wiring up new builds, there are all the trades on site (annoyingly sometimes in one carcass at the same time) Makita seems to be choice for most of the Sparks, chippies and plumbers a few have DeWalt. However, today I had a go with my mates Milwaukee kit. Impressive stuff. I'm saving up for a decent drill, having used a few different bits of kit over the last few weeks, Milwaukee and Makita definitely stand out from the crowd

Milwaukee Red 18v for me. All cordless never need corder drill.
Got Combi heavy duty for fixings and wraggling, fuel drill for smaller jobs, impact driver and small angle grinder for cutting trunking/ tray etc.
They all use the same type of battery.

When it comes to sds I think that bosch have it hands down, I used to have a dewalt kit until it was stolen from the van and now have makita, got 10 18v like ion battery's and most tools some twice, lol. I think it's a great kit best of all is the dab radio.

don't know if you can buy in UK, but we use SPIT. used to use Dewalt, bosche, Hilti, but moved as these SPIT tools (I think french made) are great

Reply to Best Powertools brands around!! in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net