Discuss Bodge job by NIC registered company , Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Yes but as the conduit is insecure and the cable could be pulled out if the light fitting , and the line condutor could be toching the unearthed conduit .Am i the only one who can see some one getting an electric shock?

And yes i agree if the conduit was secure and continious then there is no need for an RCD , but the conduit has never been earthed or mechanicly or electricy continious.

There is no need for rcd with the conduit being insecure, what it needs is the conduit to be secured properly!

How do you know for certain that the conduit is not earthed? Have you opened the light fitting to check that there isn't a banjo in there or an earthing nut?

As i have said its not earthed , there is a around 7MΩ resistance from both parts of the conduit to the main eathing terminal, i have not taken the light fitting apart but can access there CU.

As the O.P has exhausted all reasonable courses of action and feels the installation is a possible death trap then there appears to be only action left, disconnect said circuit.

That'll get someone's attention.

Knowingly leaving it in it's current state might later be deemed to have been negligent, especially for someone with appropriate technical knowledge.

So the question is whether it would want earthing or bonding then?
If bonding then it obviously won't be required as it is above the magic number, but if it would be earthing then it will need it.

What exactly is 'around 7Mohm'? That's hardly a specific measured value is it?

I would say that since it is containing T&E rather than singles it doesn't require earthing strictly speaking, in the same way that cable tray doesn't specifically require earthing if it is carrying sheathed cables. Have a read of Guidance note 8 and see what it has to say about it.

Yes but there is another issue , that circuit feeds the lights for the stairs and last thing i would also want to see is people falling down them where they cant see :(

Find out who ordered the work, tell them your concerns, and get them to report it to the NICEIC, as in your OP.
Not that the NICEIC will do F$%& All about it.

I would say, follow Tony's advice earlier up thread, but trouble is, the original installer will get called back to fix it and get paid even more money!!!

It's :mad2: time.

As the O.P has exhausted all reasonable courses of action and feels the installation is a possible death trap then there appears to be only action left, disconnect said circuit.

That'll get someone's attention.

Knowingly leaving it in it's current state might later be deemed to have been negligent, especially for someone with appropriate technical knowledge.

If the owner of the installation hasn't given permission to disconnect it the if he does he could be prosecuted for criminal damage.

If the owner of the installation hasn't given permission to disconnect it the if he does he could be prosecuted for criminal damage.

It wasn't an entirely serious post, but as you brought it up.
Disconnecting wouldn't be causing damage, might be unlawfully interfering, but with reasonable grounds in the O.P's opinion.
He's already been at the C.U and main earth terminal..

Reply to Bodge job by NIC registered company , Help please in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net