Discuss Can we use the armour of an SWA as the CPC??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Why is it that recently people seem to find using the SWA armour as bad practice or unacceptable. Seems to be serveral posts each week asking if its ok to do.

Lenny that is brilliant. I've been looking for something like this for ages, where did you get it.

In reply to Amp David, I think people who don't really know how to make glans off are the ones against it. Yes it's good practice to run a seperate earth but it's not always practical.

cheers, Ron

Why is it that recently people seem to find using the SWA armour as bad practice or unacceptable. Seems to be serveral posts each week asking if its ok to do.

If running a cable outside, then IMO it is bad practice to use steel armouring as CPC. I have seen numerous times what happens to the armour when the sheath of the cable is damaged, and water starts to ingress. The amouring rots away.
However if you believe that there is no chance of the cable being damaged, or of water ingressing then go for it.

I think it's poor practice not to use the armour as the cpc when it is adequate to be used as such.

If running a cable outside, then IMO it is bad practice to use steel armouring as CPC. I have seen numerous times what happens to the armour when the sheath of the cable is damaged, and water starts to ingress. The amouring rots away.
However if you believe that there is no chance of the cable being damaged, or of water ingressing then go for it.

This is a very fair point and I would have to agree with you johnboy

only on Thursday I got a call to a fault on a concrete mixing plant. turns out the fault was on a motor on an external belt which brings the sand to the mixer. when I went to the motor a discovered that the only earth to the motor was the steel armour. this had rusted away comletely. therefore the motor had no earth. then I felt I better check the rest of the motors. found another the same and one more on its way out. its reasons like this why I don't like using the armour.

Look chaps, the table I've posted merely confirms wether or not the armour of a particular SWA is large enough to be used as the CPC if you wish.

External influences dont come into the production of that table, nor do our personal preferences as they are another factor apart.

Last edited by a moderator:
If there is no danger of damage to the S.W.A then I think that it is fine to use it as a c.p.c.
Be careful though, I seem to recall that the total csa of the individual steel wires on some sizes of S.W.A , multiplied by the resistivity of steel etc. is not adequate to be the sole means of earthing. I think that all the sizes up to, but not including 120mm2 are fine. The problems start with the larger cables.
I have never asked, but maybe if you were interested ,the manufactures might give the required details. Cheers.

Lenny that is brilliant. I've been looking for something like this for ages, where did you get it.

In reply to Amp David, I think people who don't really know how to make glans off are the ones against it. Yes it's good practice to run a seperate earth but it's not always practical.

cheers, Ron

But surely,if you can run the armoured,you can run a separate earth alongside it,then use both,double back up...???

Sorry Ron..Werent meant to quote you...

Last edited by a moderator:
To me providing you calculate using the adiabatic equation as in reg 543.1.3 then using the armour is an acceptable CPC and it even gives it in the reg 543.2.2 (v).

This seems to be a modern development same as not using conduit or trunking as a CPC, it is regarded as safer to run a seperate CPC. I have to admit that in most cases now I do in fact run a seperate CPC, I think most design engineers, unless there is a costing reason, design containemnt systems and SWA with the seperate CPC.

I think even most schemes advise that a seperate CPC is used. It is going with the flow I suppose, and certainly the sparks who trained me would be spinning in their graves to hear that seperate CPC's are run, but sometimes I think you have to go with that flow, rather than fight against it.

i've been trying to clear this up(for myself)

there is no reason not to parallel the armour and separate cpc is there?-for SP and 3P SWA on PME

thanks

i've been trying to clear this up(for myself)

there is no reason not to parallel the armour and separate cpc is there?-for SP and 3P SWA on PME

thanks

The separate cpc must be sized as if it alone were to take the earth fault current, it is not permissible to add the CSA's of the two conductors together

Reply to Can we use the armour of an SWA as the CPC??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net