Discuss Can we use the armour of an SWA as the CPC??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not quite sure what your trying to say Fella, I am basically agreeing with engineer but pointing out I never meant to suggest the sheath and third core should be considered as the overall conductor size, just stating the third core is probably adequate but it will inevitably be connected with the shealth at an earth point somewhere in the circuit.

ARMOUR FOR EARTH OF COURSE THATS WHAT ITS THERE FOR(and underground protection etc) IF TERMINATED TO THE CONTAINMENT (trunking) and that should be earthed anyway then you have just made the armour part of the earthing system common practice to run separate earth along with armour , if actually seen this done with a 5 core armour which gives a 3rd earth overkill maybe but the earth is the most important. ever heard the saying "ITS JUST AN EARTH" without a earth it shouldn't be connected

Only for those that know no different, ...only where the SWA CSA doesn't meet compliance, or where the distance starts to have an effect on the steel wire armour CPC. If your using a 3rd core as your CPC, then it will probably be the same size as the circuit conductors, so will probably already be over kill.

In other words under most circumstances, the armour of SWA cables upto 95mm will always comply as a sufficient CPC means...

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Can we use the armour of an SWA as the CPC??? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi All, I'm new to Amtech/Trimble and I've been asked to review a model. I'm looking at circuits that are SWA cables using the armour and an...
Replies
Views
Hi, someone has ordered Steel Tape Armoured cable instead of SWA. Can I use this armour as a CPC the same as SWA or not and if so is there a table...
Replies
Views
Evening all, Having a debate with a colleague about using the SWA armouring and a separate conductor both as CPC's for a circuit. So in theory...
Replies
Views
Armoured cable or equivalent to go around garden border for on the ground flood lights everyone using any alternative to swa, will H07RN be OK or...
Replies
Views
TNC-S main supply with 16mm swa supplying garage consumer unit from main consumer unit in house, then 4mm swa supplying pond equipment through...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock