Discuss Charging point in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, only starting my electrical journey, want to buy an EV and yo get the things ready for charger. But my CU is over 6m away from meter switch, solid floor so to bring a cable from CU means to take cable thru ceilling, conduit outside to a socket.
I was wondering if I am allowed to install a second CU in outside box in parallel with the one in house, just a main switch +32 A RCBO to supply the outside socket. But will Be hard to get the earth as cannot access connection. Hope it make sense what I am saying. Would sort it faster if it was for a customer, when is for me is harder ?
B876A3F3-2A51-48D4-A9FF-0410EAC5A916.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Depending on the installation method of your meter tails you may well need RCD protection for the tails supplying your exiting DB. It may also require RCD protection. At 6m you will definitely need some form of overcurrent protection for your tails.

Those look like 16mm tails run in unearthed conduit?

I would look at replacing the main switch with a small DB with a main switch and two ways for your main DB and EVCP. Main DB I would protect using a fuse and the EVCP using MCB/RCBO as necessary.

This is dependant upon your installation with the usual caveat that I've made several assumptions and should no way be used as a firm design.

1) You have a looped supply, not sure on the DNO in your area but down here WPD will offer for free to split the looped supply, if this is refused by yourself or neighbours they will 99% of the time allow you to install an ev charger with a CT Clamp set to say 60 or 80 amps.
2) you can fit a small 2 way consumer unit/din rail enclosure in the meter cabinet to supply the proposed EV Charger.
3) If this was myself doing the job I would likely install a tall but narrow enclosure with a double pole mcb in going into armoured cable or NYY-J clipped direct on the surface and user a Zappi EV charger with Harvi device to monitor the CT Clamp and send data back to charger.
Would split the supply using henley blocks and also fit an earthing terminal in the cabinet as both earth outlets on the head are in use already.
4) you are not allowed to do this yourself unless a competent electrician and I would strongly advise you to get an electrician in, you would possibly get the OLEV grant at £350 off the bill.

Reply to Charging point in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net