Discuss Combined L&N IR test on all RCBO board in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

maguire

Hi
Carrying out a whole board insulation resistance test , very large house and LOTS of vulnerable equipment so wish to do a L&N combined [ link busbar to neutral bar] on whole board. Each circuit is on a RCBO , how would i test this, do the neutral and earth fly leads of each RCBO need to be disconnected?
Thanks in advance

Hi
Carrying out a whole board insulation resistance test , very large house and LOTS of vulnerable equipment so wish to do a L&N combined [ link busbar to neutral bar] on whole board. Each circuit is on a RCBO , how would i test this, do the neutral and earth fly leads of each RCBO need to be disconnected?
Thanks in advance

When you say Vulnerable equipment, i hope you have accounted for any dimmer switches, and removed them. Dimmers are (or should be) in the line conductor only, and no matter which test method you use, if they are in circuit, you WILL kill them.

Cheers...........Howard

Hi
Thanks in advance

Disconnect L & N from each RCBO, link and then test to earth.

Dimmers are (or should be) in the line conductor only, and no matter which test method you use, if they are in circuit, you WILL kill them.

No, you won't kill them if you're testing L+N to E. I never have. If they have the same potential on input and output, which they will if L and N are connected together, then no problem.

They can only have the same potential on either side if you've bridged across the lamp?
Laurie

No, you won't kill them if you're testing L+N to E. I never have. If they have the same potential on input and output, which they will if L and N are connected together, then no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can only have the same potential on either side if you've bridged across the lamp?
Laurie

If you leave the lamps in (no reason to remove them if testing L+N to E) then, since there's no significant current through the lamp when doing an IR test, the voltage on either side of the dimmer will be the same. This will apply in the case of standard GLS and halogen lamps, but may not be true for other types.

Which ever way you want to test is fine but with RCBO's and RCDSO you are far better removing the L & N from the units and then test.

The electronic internals are not compatible with IR testing even if it is fitted with a fly lead.

Post 4 answered the question IMO !

Which ever way you want to test is fine but with RCBO's and RCDSO you are far better removing the L & N from the units and then test.

The electronic internals are not compatible with IR testing even if it is fitted with a fly lead.

Post 4 answered the question IMO !
I Agree !

Going with post 4 too. Test each ct individually, it might take longer but at least you don't risk damaging the RCBO and having to replace it (pricey). Same goes for dimmers, if you ain't confident that they can withstand test take then out of circuit. I always IR at 250v on existing circuits & them ramp it up to 500v providing I don't get any unusually low readings.

Reply to Combined L&N IR test on all RCBO board in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net