Discuss Complete Novice trying to install new 2 Gang Light Switch - please help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chrisl

Hi guys,

I am completly stuck, I am replacing my Kitchen Light Switches with new Chrome switches, I thought it would be just a quick straight forward swap, how wrong could i be!!

There are 2 separate lights in the kitchen on a 2 gang switch, indepently controlled by the same switch (2 buttons). After removing the current swicth, its an old tenaby switch and there are 3 conectors on the top and 3 on the bottom and 7 wires + earth.

The new switch as 2 holes/connectors on the bottom (both saying common) and 4 holes on the top (L1/L2/L1/L2) - Obviously very differnt to original switch

I presume the 2 lights have 2 cables each, one red and one black, I am then left with 3 remaining wires, one blue, one yellow and one black, i also presume blue is neutral, not sure which is the live feed?

Doesnt anyone have any idea how the heck I wire this lot up as I dont have a clue and dont fancy blowing myself up!!

Any help with be much appreciated!!

Thanks

impossible to advise on a forum. you will have to bite the bullet and get a spark in. therer are several forum members in your area, i'm sure would sort it for you. should not cost more than a call-out and 1 hour.

Hi there many thanks for the reply, I didnt really want to pay anyone to do it (skint), its just a standard 2 gang light swtich I am trying to install, surelly it cant be that hard, there must be some diagrams somewhere?

The point is, we (i.e. sparks) need to SEE these things, and perhaps conduct tests, to be sure what is what. Since we can't, how do you really expect us to be able to help you on here?

Hi, take the advice from Telectrix- it will end in tears ! If you had taken a picture before you removed the origional switch someone here would have helped you.

what!!!! Jesus, the swiches were a fiver off ebay (which i got over a month ago), an hours rate plus call out for a sparky is what £50-£100..... to fit a switch!! Come one guys, I am beginning to think there is a conspirious here, whats the point in having a forum when the only guidance is to call a sparky to fit a switch!

The point is...this a forum for Electricians to discuss things electrical and chat, not a DIY help centre.
Sorry Chris, but you've screwed up when you took the switch off without marking things up!

if there is two lights ,controlled from 2gang 1way switch

com--permanent feed/constant feed/feed/power in
L1 --switch wire to each light

most sparks would charge for coming out, around £40, but that would cover for 30mins to 1 hour's labour. if it were me. i'd not charge more than £40 - £50 total.

Another issue with chrome switches is that they MUST be earthed...potentially dangerous if not. Just because there's an alleged earth wire there does not mean it is an effective earth. Your Electrician will test to make sure that the installed chrome switch isnt going to fry anyone. I'm not a DIY basher....but based on the info you've given you cant be sure the switch will be safe even if you manage to get it working.
Call an electrician.

haha. thought suffolk was next county, but just googled and that's staffordshire. suffolk's somewher in europe, ain't it. near france.

jesus christ *******

mate if u feel confident do it fire away if not call a spark tell them youv took switch cover off and cant figure out new switch connections £40 shaating

doing yourself make sure u take flying lead earth to earth point on switch feeds to com if only one feed you can loop between the 2 com points , switch wire to the 2 seperate L1 points

and if he electrocutes hisself, who's his family going to blame, him or the guys that told him how to do it by guessing. suppose he could buy an MFT for £500, then he's got a chance of doing it right. i'm out.

why does a high % of sparks on these forums act like they are managing director of everything electrical
"my life is electrics i love electrics i divorced my wife lost my house for my electrical forum I AM ELECTRICS

Reply to Complete Novice trying to install new 2 Gang Light Switch - please help!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net